Redskins 80th Anniversairy

DeFrank

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to get an idea of the detail put in the helmets, here's an up-close photo of it:

AskTH8HCMAAlSXA.jpg

Photo by Sky Kerstein.

Interesting. I hope the Packers have a similar effect when they next wear their throwback blues.

Yeah that is great, every team that uses a leather era throwback should do this.

Agreed. In fact I think this development opens up the door to more leather helmet-era throwback designs.

I'm going to nitpick a bit here...while the pattern does a good job of mimicking distressed leather I don't think it really mimics a distressed leather helmet all that well...if they can do such a complex pattern why not add faux stitching to mimic the actual leather panels?..in addition from the anecdotal photos that I've seen of leather helmets, the wear and tear to the leather would more resemble longer creases since the leather was pulled so tight...this pattern reminds me of distressed leather luggage.

I wonder if their trompe l'oeil look silly in person, though.

Edited for learning purposes (**)

Those shoes look just like the ones Sammy Baugh wore, too!

osPQd.jpg

Funny thing about this is that in '94, they didn't get the shoes right either (they wore white shoes).

wash-v-atl.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I'm liking the Redskins' throwback helmets; I hope teams throwing back to leather helmets (Packers) go this route; it looks so much better (and dare I say, authentic?) than plain brown (or in the picture above, maroon) helmets. I kinda wish that they went with the spear jerseys if not these.

I don't agree that gray is the neutral color for facemasks on throwback helmets that throwback to pre-facemask helmets. (you might have to read that sentence a few times). If that helmet didn't have a facemask, the color is open for interpretation.

Well, my interpretation is that it shouldn't be black. If it's not going to match the helmet and literally blend in, then it needs to be the 'default' color of a facemask, which undoubtedly is grey. Old uniforms aren't about matching everything up, Lights Out. They are about combining all the earthy, neutral colors of canvas, leather and metal with a nice pop of team color fabric. Black is a mistake and looks very odd on this helmet, mostly because a black facemask looks inherently modern. Other early facemasks were actually a color very similar to the helmet, and that would have been a good way to go. My http://www.helmethut.com/Carinals/Joyce.htmllink I still might have preferred grey just for the contrast, tough feel and how good it looks against burgundy, but helmet color would have been okay by me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't agree that gray is the neutral color for facemasks on throwback helmets that throwback to pre-facemask helmets. (you might have to read that sentence a few times). If that helmet didn't have a facemask, the color is open for interpretation.

Well, my interpretation is that it shouldn't be black. If it's not going to match the helmet and literally blend in, then it needs to be the 'default' color of a facemask, which undoubtedly is grey. Old uniforms aren't about matching everything up, Lights Out. They are about combining all the earthy, neutral colors of canvas, leather and metal with a nice pop of team color fabric. Black is a mistake and looks very odd on this helmet, mostly because a black facemask looks inherently modern. Other early facemasks were actually a color very similar to the helmet, and that would have been a good way to go. My http://www.helmethut.com/Carinals/Joyce.htmllink I still might have preferred grey just for the contrast, tough feel and how good it looks against burgundy, but helmet color would have been okay by me.

Fair. Neither one of us is right or wrong here.

I do wish they'd gone that extra length to include the different layers and seams like real leather helmets.

8569a.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I do wish they'd gone that extra length to include the different layers and seams like real leather helmets.

8569a.jpg

There's a remote possibility it could have worked, but it's tough to make a smooth object appear to be faux-layered, and it often looks extremely cheesy when it is done. Reminds me of those wall murals they have in some Italian and Mexican restaurants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8569a.jpg

There's a remote possibility it could have worked, but it's tough to make a smooth object appear to be faux-layered, and it often looks extremely cheesy when it is done. Reminds me of those wall murals they have in some Italian and Mexican restaurants.

Maybe so, but as impressive as the helmet is, it looks like they stripped a naugahyde sofa and wrapped the helmet with the cloth.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I really like these alts. A LOT.

HGI has really made themselves known as of late (giving credit where it should be due). Kinda curious, now that this leather-texture helmet has been produced for the Redskins, if any other teams would even be allowed to do so now. If so, then someone ship some to the Steelers to wear with their bumblebee throwbacks. (Off-hand: how cool would it be if the Steelers and Redskins played each other in their respective throwback alts?)

Back to the helmets...this may well serve as a game-changer in the NFL level. We kinda already saw that with the Seahawks helmet, but I'm curious to see if these textured patterns take hold on a primary basis.

(One other question: does HGI produce exclusively for Nike or are they free to produce for whatever other manufacturer?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8569a.jpg

I think the reason they didn't do stitching or other details is because thay haven't fully mastered hydro graphic technology. The more detail you add to the graphics and the more accurately positioned certain items have to be, the more likely you're going to have mistakes. So if you tried to add stitching or stripes to the helmet, there's a good chance the pattern could end up lopsided when the helmet is dipped. By using a generic leather pattern, there's no chance of screwing it up.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HGI has really made themselves known as of late (giving credit where it should be due). Kinda curious, now that this leather-texture helmet has been produced for the Redskins, if any other teams would even be allowed to do so now. If so, then someone ship some to the Steelers to wear with their bumblebee throwbacks. (Off-hand: how cool would it be if the Steelers and Redskins played each other in their respective throwback alts?)

Back to the helmets...this may well serve as a game-changer in the NFL level. We kinda already saw that with the Seahawks helmet, but I'm curious to see if these textured patterns take hold on a primary basis.

(One other question: does HGI produce exclusively for Nike or are they free to produce for whatever other manufacturer?)

they did the new Notre Dame and Maryland flag helmets, so my guess is no, they aren't exclusive to Nike.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

No they did all of Maryland's helmets last year for Under Armour as well as all of Notre Dame's for Adidas.

Archived