USFL IS BACK!

danmerz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither the UFL nor the XFL tried this. The UFL was a schedule-competing minor league. The XFL was a league that tried to rival the NFL.

The USFL is trying to be a spring time minor league with basically direct cooperation from the NFL. Can it work? Who knows. But let's not write it off so quickly because two leagues who you think have been down this road haven't.

I'm writing this off. And this is coming from someone who grew up with the original USFL. Has about 60+ old USFL games on DVD and still misses the old USFL on almost a daily basis(at least in the spring/summer).

The original renegade spirit of the old USFL was to compete against the establishment, not work with it. This won't be the same and nobody wants to watch a bunch of no-names. Heck, the original USFL was a star-studded league and STILL couldn't survive..what makes people think it will work this time around....

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Poor fools about to lose their money.

They are not going to lose that much as it really won't get off the ground. Too much of this sounds and reads familiar (July 2007) to be exact with the AAFL.

1- Regional teams near major colleges (if not playing in the college facility)

2- A San Diego based backer.

3- Spring Season (ending in July)

4- Salaries to average about $50K

5- No TV deal.

Neither the UFL nor the XFL tried this. The UFL was a schedule-competing minor league. The XFL was a league that tried to rival the NFL.

The USFL is trying to be a spring time minor league with basically direct cooperation from the NFL. Can it work? Who knows. But let's not write it off so quickly because two leagues who you think have been down this road haven't.

XFL was all about cheesy gimmicks and was more like watching WWF, than an actual football game. I think the key to the USFL being successful is setting up actual NFL affiliates. Give the the players, that don't get much playing time during the NFL season, in-game experience and a chance to show what they can do in the spring. In turn giving non-NFL markets a team to watch, and fans of the "parent" NFL clubs a chance to see some lesser known players. Just like minor league baseball and the D-League. In theory, it would be a win-win for both leagues, but only time will tell if they will last...

Well, the only reason that I put this post up is that since this is a logo forum, it will be interesting to see what cities are chosen and what logos could be associated with them.

Having lived in Ohio, I've heard a lot about Akron being a potential location. Highly doubt it would be in the inaugural season, but somewhere down the road. Most logical name would be the Akron Pros, a nod to the old NFL team from the 20s. It may sound like lame name, but has a little history behind it.

Well, the only reason that I put this post up is that since this is a logo forum, it will be interesting to see what cities are chosen and what logos could be associated with them.

I do not think it is going to get that far. They may trademark team names, but that is it.

XFL was all about cheesy gimmicks and was more like watching WWF, than an actual football game. I think the key to the USFL being successful is setting up actual NFL affiliates. Give the the players, that don't get much playing time during the NFL season, in-game experience and a chance to show what they can do in the spring. In turn giving non-NFL markets a team to watch, and fans of the "parent" NFL clubs a chance to see some lesser known players. Just like minor league baseball and the D-League. In theory, it would be a win-win for both leagues, but only time will tell if they will last...

Because the NBDL draws so well? Because NFL pre-season games are so wildly popular?

I'm a season ticket holder at Lambeau. I love indoor and arena football. I work for an amateur outdoor football team that has been around since 1953. I wouldn't pay a dime to watch this.

It's where I sit.

I want this to work out just so Salt Lake can (potentially) have Pro Football. Of course I'm not getting my hopes up, but it'd be awesome if it happened. *selfish homer* :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

When the NFL is now facing over 70 lawsuits with over 1,800 former players relating to concussions or other injuries, why would someone think that this is now profitable? As I have said before on this board.

There are two foolish major investments...starting a new pro football league and starting a new US-based airline.

Archived