Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to thank everyone who commented for the kind words :).

You can now directly link to all the posted concepts on the Original Post. I will be posting the New York Islanders tonight and 4 new teams are currently in the works.

Next!

New York Islanders

For this concept I really wanted to challenge myself and do something different. After all it would be too easy to just hand draw the dynasty uniforms and call it day. I am a huge fan of the Fisherman set but can understand that it was too over the top for most people so I decided to take the colours and try to make something traditional with them. I drew the primary logo from scratch and tried to give a feel similar to the classic one. The third is pretty self explanatory. The dynasty jersey with an updated colour scheme.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105633AM.png

As always, C & C very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking smile.gif

One of your best concepts yet IMO. That primary logo is simply fantastic and the colours really work here. I'll admit, I had my doubts about going outside of the box with the Islanders, but this really works.

EDIT: Best not to view concepts on a 9 square inch screen. Fix the letter consistency and you're good.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I was hoping that this one would feature the fisherman but I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it. That being said, I'm glad you stuck with the color scheme that the Islanders used during the 90s. The logos are really nice too but I feel as though the 'N' is way bolder than the 'Y' and the 'I', the 'Y' and 'I' just look really slim for some reason, especially on the left side of the 'I'. There just seems to be a lot of empty space there. Other than that though, this is another great concept.

Yeah the NYI needs work to make it more consistent, but this is my favorite Isles' logo I've seen anybody do here.

It doesn't say Captain Highliner, it doesn't say tacky, and it's clear what team it is...

Get the letters more consistent, and this is a winner.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

i love this thread, but i think the islanders logos and uniforms are just off.

i think you managed to come up with an islanders logo that is somehow more of a muddy blob than the current, only without the tradition that makes that acceptable.

i think on the white jersey, the logo is overpowered by orange, with not nearly enough blue. also, the grey on the striping bleeds in with the teal and orange on the white jersey, and is entirely missing on the blue jersey.

i'm also not at all a fan of the solid white collar on the blue jersey.

you're a very talented artist, and you did a great job on most of this series... but this islanders set just leaves a lot to be desired from me.

i love this thread, but i think the islanders logos and uniforms are just off.

i think you managed to come up with an islanders logo that is somehow more of a muddy blob than the current, only without the tradition that makes that acceptable.

i think on the white jersey, the logo is overpowered by orange, with not nearly enough blue. also, the grey on the striping bleeds in with the teal and orange on the white jersey, and is entirely missing on the blue jersey.

i'm also not at all a fan of the solid white collar on the blue jersey.

you're a very talented artist, and you did a great job on most of this series... but this islanders set just leaves a lot to be desired from me.

Thank you for the honest, constructive feedback.

This was easily the toughest concept I've worked on thus far because I didn't want to just copy one of the team's existing logos. My goal was to create something simple and classy reflecting the teams namesake and typography and I agree that it turned out muddled. Too many co-existing elements in too small a circle to work effectively.

As for the striping, it was lifted directly from the Fisherman set and the more I look at it, the more I agree with your sentiments. The colours on the road jersey bleed and there is no reason for the grey in the first place.

I have 4 new teams to post but after that I will be working on updates

Calgary Flames

In my opinion, the best the Flames have ever looked was in 2006/07 when they dropped the Black Horse Head jersey and went with the Pre-Edge red and whites full time. Since then, they have become one of the worst dressed teams in the league with an awful amalgamation of Reebok's terrible ideas. The flags look tacky and moronic... like something you'd see on a European team and the sheer amount of unnecessary piping on both the jerseys and pants borders on retina searing. This is why I returned to the spirit of the pre-edge set with a few tweaks. The Flames are a classic expansion team with a Stanley Cup and simplicity suits them. That is why there are no shoulder patches or cute chevron striping. I gave them a modern looking shoulder yoke and simplified hem striping. The sleeve stripes remain on a angle to tip the hat to 2004 run.

Screenshot2014-06-29at104704AM.png

As always C & C very much welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Sticking with the 2004 theme, I give you the first update of the series

Tampa Bay Lightning 2.0

I was going to wait until I finished all 30 teams to do updates but I really dislike my original concept for this team (below). The primary logos are too large and not very well done with the "B"s looking awkward and disproportioned.

For my re-design, I went back to the basics with the trusted "Bolt in a Circle." As a kid, I always liked how the Lightning' logo had such a large amount of space devoted to metallic silver. That shimmering silver circle WAS their identity in my eyes which is why it returns. Said primary is basically the inaugural logo minus all the unnecessary lines, text and circles that end for no reason. The shoulder yokes have been streamlined and striping has been slightly tweaked.

For the alternate, I salvaged my old primary logo for something modern but simple. I tried for hours to put a "B" in there that didn't look awkward before coming to the obvious conclusion that it never needed one in the first place. The striping is based off the "Bolts" jersey with the colour hierarchy inverse.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105954AM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-29at105936AM.png

Hey Morgo the Flames look great! Soooo much better than that Reebok crap they wear today. The only thing that would make it better would be if you used the white 'C'. I've always liked that one better than the black one.

EDIT: Looks like we posted at the same time. The Tampa Bay update looks good too. I like the "back to basics" approach, and the use of black really makes the concept pop. The Lightning are one team that look good with a little black on their jerseys.

Calgary's set looks awesome. It's a shame they decided to unnecessarily crap up their look after the transition to Edge (Flag shoulder patched? Really?)

The Tampa Bay update looks great. The one thing I dislike though is how the black and blue touch on the road. The colours bleed, which is a problem the Cup-era jerseys had. I'd do what you did with your original concept and put a thin white stripe in-between the two colours.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Tampa update looks really nice, especially that home jersey. Try using your old TB monogram on the alternate though, I thought that one was really good except for the little spark at the end. Hope this helps!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Next!

Nashville Predators

If you ask me, the Predators really dropped the ball on their recent redesign. Using that ugly Blues template was a major gaffe on the designers part, especially considering how attractive the hem and sleeve stripes would look without it. I also think they simplified the palette a bit too much. It's an expansion team playing in Nashville... they SHOULD have an out there design with plenty of colours. For this set I toke inspiration from both the current look and the mustard alternate of the pre edge days. Silver makes a much needed return as an accent on a simplified striping striping pattern and the new 'Guitar Pick' logo is featured on BOTH shoulders. The primary is a simplified version of the old alternate logo that appeared on the mustards. I've always thought it was superior the somewhat awkward looking forward facing one.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105540AM.png

As always C & C welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking smile.gif

LOVE this set. Definitely a good move to get rid of the Blues template but also a good move to keep the yellow jersey. That guitar pick logo is one of my favorite sports logos, so I like its incorporation into your set. Another very well done and well thought out set from this series. Nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Hey Morgo the Flames look great! Soooo much better than that Reebok crap they wear today. The only thing that would make it better would be if you used the white 'C'. I've always liked that one better than the black one.

EDIT: Looks like we posted at the same time. The Tampa Bay update looks good too. I like the "back to basics" approach, and the use of black really makes the concept pop. The Lightning are one team that look good with a little black on their jerseys.

Appreciate the kind words! I was thinking of using the white C as I'm a big fan of both logos. The black one got the edge though, mostly because I thought it matched the striping in a more coherent way.

Calgary's set looks awesome. It's a shame they decided to unnecessarily crap up their look after the transition to Edge (Flag shoulder patched? Really?)

The Tampa Bay update looks great. The one thing I dislike though is how the black and blue touch on the road. The colours bleed, which is a problem the Cup-era jerseys had. I'd do what you did with your original concept and put a thin white stripe in-between the two colours.

Thank you for bringing up the road striping. As much as I hate colour bleeding, I hate mismatched striping more. Something about the road striping in my original Lightning concept seemed off. Black and Blue do touch on the cup era jerseys but this blue is much lighter.

Tampa update looks really nice, especially that home jersey. Try using your old TB monogram on the alternate though, I thought that one was really good except for the little spark at the end. Hope this helps!

Appreciate the feedback but I tried for hours to make the "B" on the old monogram work with no such luck. It's hard to incorporate it with the jagged "Bolt T" without it looking awkward. I appreciate the kind words though.

LOVE this set. Definitely a good move to get rid of the Blues template but also a good move to keep the yellow jersey. That guitar pick logo is one of my favorite sports logos, so I like its incorporation into your set. Another very well done and well thought out set from this series. Nice job.

Appreciate the kind words :)

Next!

The Vancouver Canucks

I may be biased but I happen to think the Canucks are among the best dressed teams in the league. The new colour scheme in particular looks fantastic. That being said there is always room for improvement. While the striping pattern looks great on the Blue home jerseys, it doesn't fare so well on the White Away. Meanwhile on the inaugural set, the opposite is true. I sought to turn both striping patterns into something coherent with this set. The modern stick and rink has replaced orca as the main crest only this time it actually contrasts on the blue sweater. The third is a throwback to the Flying V only with the new colour scheme. The Canucks need a green jersey.

morgocanucks.png

As always, C & C welcome. Thanks for looking!

Morgo, those Canucks concepts look great! I still prefer keeping the white stick inside the blue rink on both the blues and whites, but your inverted updated Stick 'n Rink stands out a lot more than the original inverted Stick 'n Rink logo. I also love your Flying V on a green jersey. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Great work.

Archived