Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

Morgo's drawing talent is simply fantastic, especially on the logos.

Still though, I have my doubts about how he's going to pull off the Fisherman.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off thanks for all the kind words and feedback. This is the last of the 7 I have done but the Islanders, Sabres and Kings are in the works.

Philadelphia Flyers

This definitely will go down as one of the less creative concepts in this series but that'd because the Flyers have almost hit perfection with their current set. That being said, I don't like how black is featured on the sleeves and not the hem as well so I made what I thought was a necessary adjustment. I also added thin black striping to white shoulder yokes to tip the hat to the 1984-2001 jerseys, a popular design. Logo remains unchanged because it is perfect as is. Wish I could have been more creative but this series is about what I want to see on the ice.

No third jersey. I hated the Flyers in Black and double goes for that awful chrome logo. If any team doesn't need a third jersey, it's the Flyers. Sorry Lou Lamoriello

morgoflyers.png

C & C always welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Nothing too groundbreaking, but another great concept nonetheless. Your small tweaks like the thin black striping make definite improvements on their current design. Great work as usual!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• 2 weeks later...

After a long layoff, the hand drawn NHL is back. The Kings, Devils, Islanders and Sabres are complete and will all be posted this week in that order. I will be releasing these in fours until the series is complete and will be taking requests. If there is a team that hasn't been done that you would like to see in the next batch, please let me know. On to the Cup Champions!

Los Angeles Kings

I am a huge fan of the Kings new look. Even the pencil point logo that has received a lot of criticism on these boards looks pretty sharp in my opinion. That being said there are some things that needed to be changed. First and foremost is the decision to put a primarily black logo on a black jersey. There was simply not enough contrast so the home logo is now white. I also simplified the crown as it's finer details often got lost. The alternate is a fauxback mashup of the Kings two purple and yellow designs of the 70's/80's. The crown logo looked more like something a Queen would wear so it has been replaced with the recoloured pencil point logo.

losangeleskingsr.png

00dscn2903.jpg

As always, C & C welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

LA looks great, I like how made the home crest white to contrast from the jersey. That purple alternate looks great too.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

LA looks great, especially the home. It's amazing how 2 small tweaks could improve the look by so much. However, I just don't think the current logo looks good in purple/gold. I'm excited to see what you have in store for the other teams.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

From the Cup Champs to the runner up

New Jersey Devils

Not much to say about this set. New Jersey has a distinctive look that should never be messed with. That being said their decision to ditch green in favour of Black was one of the more unoriginal/safe jersey changes of the 90's. This is basically an amalgamation of the two styles with the 80's colours paired up with the simplified 90's striping. Red is the dominant colour on the Away because I absolutely hate how red is a secondary colour on the current away when its the primary on the home. I originally wasn't going to have a third but the current home jersey looks to good to ditch completely.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105606AM.png

As always C & C encouraged and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Had a feeling you'd return New Jersey to their good ol' red and green uniforms, they look great. Good stuff Morgo, keep it up.

Thanks Heitert. I hope you are still working on your series cause I'd like to see more as well :)

Buffalo Sabres

Unpopular opinion time! I've always hated the Sabres original look. From the slapdash striping pattern that has no regard for colour hierarchy to the lifeless 2 dimensional logo that so many people refer to as a classic. As you can see, I've always preferred the Red/Black/Slate look. For starters that colour scheme seems a lot more appropriate for the team namesake and the logos from that package are far superior. That being said, I didn't like the over the top striping pattern with the lopsided black shoulder yokes nor did I like Black having dominance over Red. I also agree with the general consensus that the primary logo needed a Sabre and made what I thought were the necessary adjustments. I realize this won't be a popular concept but this is what I would like to see the Sabres wear.

Screenshot2014-06-29at104645AM.png

As always C & C very much welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Holy :censored: that's beautiful! Absolutely amazing Morgo; what a great way to incorporate the buffalo and sabre aspect!

And I actually got on tonight to continue working on my series so I should have something up soon.

Again, great series. I look forward to what you have for us next.

Archived