Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After another lengthy absence, the hand drawn NHL is back! Usually I do 4 new teams and 1 update but for this batch it's been reversed. I've gone back and redid some of my earliest concepts bringing you 5 new updates and 1 new team. First update!

The Dallas Stars 2.0

The Stars were one of the first teams I did and when compared to the more recent concepts, the inexperience and lack of craftsmanship shows. While I do like the original colour scheme of the franchise more (Kelly green instead of Forest) it doesn't make a lot of sense since the team only wore it for 1 year. For this set I sought to resurrect the feel of 1999 Cup jerseys while sacrificing some of it's over the top elements. The jerseys now feature shoulder yokes and the angular striping has been vanquished for something a little more traditional. For the primary crest, I went with the standalone star. Makes for a more compact crest in my opinion and the logo has been recoloured on the home jersey to provide more contrast.

For the alternate jersey I decided to make a faux-back. The old Northstars identity is one of my favourite in all of hockey and I think it should live on in some respect. The jersey is based off the late 80's early 90's design with some notable tweaks. The black pants are gone and vintage white is deployed. Always thought it looked good with warm colours. The Mooterus is long gone as I didn't think my new version was particularly strong. Heitert did a great re-design that put it to shame.

dallasstars.png

dallasstars2.jpg

Original

morgostars.png

Solid Stars concept. Very "safe" but very clean look for Dallas. Though with the "STARS" removed from the logo, I'm not sure why you kept the top point of the star detached (the part that is the "A" in the script). Perhaps if they were the North Stars I could see it making sense as a notch pointing north, but here it looks weird and out-of-place.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Solid Stars concept. Very "safe" but very clean look for Dallas. Though with the "STARS" removed from the logo, I'm not sure why you kept the top point of the star detached (the part that is the "A" in the script). Perhaps if they were the North Stars I could see it making sense as a notch pointing north, but here it looks weird and out-of-place.

I did ponder getting rid of the "A" on the star point but figuired the logo had been around for so long that no one would be puzzled about it's inclusion. The primary logo still features the script (it's on the pants). Another reason I kept it is because without it, it's not really much different from any other star logo. Thanks for taking time to leave feedback, appreciate it :)

Anyone else? Any Stars fans out there? Could you live with your team going this route?

Since the Stars update got such an overwhelming response, I guess I'll move on to the next concept...

Washington Capitals

I realize it makes sense for the team's geography but I've never liked either of the red, white and blue looks. Maybe it's because they were poorly executed or maybe it's because that colour scheme is so overused but either way I'm not a fan. This set is based off the Copper, Black and Blue years with Gold taking the place of copper and the colour heirarchy reversed. The screaming eagle has been updated and the mutlicoloured stars from the inaugural years have been added. As always C & C is very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at110038AM.png

I never got the hate for the black, copper, and blue. I think the latter two make great compliments to black (though I was never a fan of the all blue homes; that shade is best used as a secondary colour).

Anyways, I love this concept. The flying eagle and black/blue/copper were good looks and suited the team. All they have to do is return to those colours with an updated eagle logo and they'd be set.

And if you want more feedback, try posting 5 minute rushed Paint jobs. Those seem to get a lot of C+C around here...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Stars update is really good. Simple, classic, and i like the throwback, although maybe black pants with that would look better for me.

Caps is also awesome. I like that color scheme, and it's more unique than r/w/b. As long as it's not the font they had with them it's a winner! I like that eagle logo just fine, but wonder how the W-Eagle recolored in this scheme would look too. Maybe for a blue alt?

Anyone else? Any Stars fans out there? Could you live with your team going this route?

Stars fan here. I could more than live with this. It is a vast upgrade over what we have now, and also fixes a lot of the problems your original Dallas designs had. (Never again should we wear primarily black jerseys, or have anything close to the mooterus.)

It's not a terribly flashy design, but that's fine. After the last 5 years, the return of a simple green jersey is more than welcome.

The North Stars throwback is also nice.

Yes, yes, yes 1000x yes. That Capitals set is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The best set the Caps ever had was the set with the eagle and I love your update and symmetry of the design. Great work as always!

As far as the Stars go, I really like that set as well. I think that the star logo is strong enough to sit as a primary without the 'ST-^-RS' script that I never liked. Also, I like that green has become the primary color. The North Stars faux-back is nice too. I understand where Bubba was coming from when he said he didn't know why you kept the top point of the star detatched, but in this case I think it works out as a nice nod to the North Stars.

Also, FWIW, I definitely don't think that my Mooterus design put yours to shame, I actually really liked what you did to Mooterus.

Noooooo, not the return of the black, blue and copper. Please, either make it black, red, and gold or leave it and make a better use of it. I just hated the copper years for both the caps and the wizards.

If I made it Black, Red and Gold it would infringe on the Senators identity. You don't like the old colour scheme and thats fine, you are more than entitled to your opinion. Thanks for commenting :)

I never got the hate for the black, copper, and blue. I think the latter two make great compliments to black (though I was never a fan of the all blue homes; that shade is best used as a secondary colour).

Anyways, I love this concept. The flying eagle and black/blue/copper were good looks and suited the team. All they have to do is return to those colours with an updated eagle logo and they'd be set.

And if you want more feedback, try posting 5 minute rushed Paint jobs. Those seem to get a lot of C+C around here...

Thanks for your feedback as always. I'll keep that in mind about the rushed paint jobs :P

Stars update is really good. Simple, classic, and i like the throwback, although maybe black pants with that would look better for me.

Caps is also awesome. I like that color scheme, and it's more unique than r/w/b. As long as it's not the font they had with them it's a winner! I like that eagle logo just fine, but wonder how the W-Eagle recolored in this scheme would look too. Maybe for a blue alt?

Appreciate the positive feedback. I always thought the Black pants on the Northstars was too much black, hence the green. Different strokes I guess :)

Stars fan here. I could more than live with this. It is a vast upgrade over what we have now, and also fixes a lot of the problems your original Dallas designs had. (Never again should we wear primarily black jerseys, or have anything close to the mooterus.)

It's not a terribly flashy design, but that's fine. After the last 5 years, the return of a simple green jersey is more than welcome.

The North Stars throwback is also nice.

Glad you can live with it and I appreciate the positive feedback. Was curious if Stars fans actually wanted the team to adopt Red White and Blue. I think that would be a terrible idea but thats just me :)

Yes, yes, yes 1000x yes. That Capitals set is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The best set the Caps ever had was the set with the eagle and I love your update and symmetry of the design. Great work as always!

As far as the Stars go, I really like that set as well. I think that the star logo is strong enough to sit as a primary without the 'ST-^-RS' script that I never liked. Also, I like that green has become the primary color. The North Stars faux-back is nice too. I understand where Bubba was coming from when he said he didn't know why you kept the top point of the star detatched, but in this case I think it works out as a nice nod to the North Stars.

Also, FWIW, I definitely don't think that my Mooterus design put yours to shame, I actually really liked what you did to Mooterus.

Appreciate the thurough feedback as usual! Thank you very much for the kind words, especially about the Mooterus. I still think yours is better though. ;)

I am not a hockey fan at all.

I just wanted to say this is the best hand drawn series I have seen your work is remarkable.

If I did not know any better I would think it was done on the computer.

Again great job!

Thank you for the kind words. My goal with this series was to get the concepts to look as close to digital as humanly possible so I definitely appreciate the sentiment.

Will be posting an update for the Minnesota Wild tonight so stay tuned! Thanks to everyone for looking :)

I'd been away so long that I forgot about this great series. First, let me compliment you again on the amount of thought, effort, and work you're putting into each of these. It's very impressive and great to see these ideas presented in such an uncommon way.

A few thoughts on recent concepts:

Both the Bruins and Leafs look solid. Probably nothing we haven't seen before, but still very nice.

I really like the direction you took with the Coyotes, going back to that original logo (I still have one of the black jerseys!). I kinda think losing the patterning entirely is a mistake.. I definitely get that it may have been too aggressive and '90s-ish, but it seemed like such a unique, identifiable element and worked well with the style of that particular logo. Also, I'd prefer to lose the purple entirely. It's only used in the logos, clashes badly with the other colors, and seems unnecessary.

Very nice update to the Stars. It's a classic look that salutes their history, and I like the simplification of the logo (as well as keeping the "A" at the top).

I LOVE the Capitals. I always thought that color scheme was great (especially before they went to the black sweater as the primary), and the eagle logo is underrated and created fantastic motion across the uniform... And it's for that reason I'd prefer to see the waist stripe angled to fit the logo. Also, it seems like the stars could use more space between them or more consistent spacing. Other than that, I love it.

Keep up the good work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

First off, thank you dgnmrwrw for the inspiring and thorough feedback on the last two concepts. Comments like that make all the effort worthwhile. Time for the next update!

Minnesota Wild 2.0

My original Wild concept was the first drawing I did in this series and while I'm still proud of it, I decided to go in a different direction. Instead of having modern looking jerseys utilizing the whole palette, I decided to base a concept off the current retro-themed third jersey. The script has been replaced with the standalone bear head (arguably the best logo in hockey) and a small amount of red has been added to the striping.

For alternate, I changed the abreviation of "MIN," which would never be used to represent Minnesota and made it say "M.H." instead for Minnesota Hockey. The striping has been streamlined and Wheat is now more prominent over green to offset the christmas feel a bit. As always C & C very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

minnesotawild.png

minnesotawild2.jpg

Original

morgowild.png

Yes! Perfect! The Wild seem to have a problem finding a consistent identity with all the different looks they have thrown around and you have united them nicely. The M.H. idea is better than the MIN and the logo itself is a thing of beauty, with the nod to the North Stars. The primary sets are solid as well, clean and clear-cut. Looking forward to whatever is next.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Very nice update! It's very classy looking which I think is good for Minnesota. I like how you took the yellow stripes out; looking back at the original and comparing it to this update, the update looks a lot cleaner and more uniform. While I like that you got rid of the shoulder patches on the home and road jerseys, I can't help but to like the original "MIN" logo better. It just looks more symmetrical than the "M.H." logo.

Overall though, a fantastic update. I would buy that home sweater in a heartbeat!

Archived