Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

This is the first I saw the update...and it seems very...Mighty Ducks.

It's good. It works. But nothing about it says "Phoenix". I think if you mixed the brick red back in...for some reason, that adobe-ish red just seems right for this team now, even if only as an accent color, you'd have it right. Maybe have it displace (but not entirely replace) black?

Hopefully this bump will start some discussion, because I'm not sure that's the answer and with a hand drawn concept, you can't do a "let's swap this out *click* *click* nah, I can't say I like it." so you might as well do it right.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't checked up here in a while...

Rangers: While I am a fan of the script, this actually looks quite nice. My only gripe is the red "undershirt" part underneath the collar. It looks awkward being the only non-navy part in the region - that's an aspect of a hockey uniform that was never meant to stand out on its own. If you added a yoke, or even just made the collar red (the better option, IMO), it would look much better.

Flyers: Beautiful. Their uniforms now are nice, but they have rather poor colour distribution with black being virtually non-existent on the jerseys outside of the logo. The extra white at the hem of the home uniform here is something that the '90s jerseys didn't have and helps the colour distribution (it balances out the white, instead of having white appear almost only on the yoke).

Coyotes: I liked your previous set better. The green/black is too Dallas (even though you've added gold for the Stars). The old colour scheme had more character, and while I don't love the full-bodied Piccassoyote, it's a much better logo than the head version.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks for the comments guys :) Time for another update.

Buffalo Sabres 3.0
Hopefully third time's a charm with this team as the concept has come full circle from the red and black era to an updated classic look similar to what's worn today. I think the Sabres look fantastic in Navy, Yellow and Silver but I don't like the way the colours are used. The waist and sleeve striping has been rid of silver while the "piping to nowhere" has been replaced with the only element of the Buffaslug jerseys I liked. The "classic" logo outlined in silver has been vanquished for something simple but attractive. Two crossed sabre blades with no unnecessary roundels or badly drawn bison. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking.

Screenshot2014-06-28at115113AM.png

Buffalo Sabres 2.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104626AM.png
Buffalo Sabres 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104645AM.png

Definately the best of the lot. Not sure about the grey midsection stripes. Seem kind of unnecessary.

Do love your work though! Great stuff.

On Phoenix, it looks nice but not quite right just yet. Maybe needs more of the red as another poster suggested?

Thanks for commenting. Next update!

Ottawa Senators 2.0

Ditched the side panels and the awful =O= logo... Only reason I even used it was out of laziness. The inaugural crest is, in my opinion, the best logo in Senators history hence why it appears on all 3 jerseys. The alternate features a lace up collar and the inaugural striping for a classic look. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at103557AM.png

Ottawa Senators 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105744AM.png

Though I love the original Senators logo a lot, the updated version is definitely better in my opinion. Just a better illustration, but I understand the likeness of wanting to use the old one. I personally wouldn't have added the shoulder patch as the logo you used, a bare sleeve probably would have been more solid. Over all a good set for the Senators.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I actually... Really prefer v. 1.0 to the latest Sen set, Morgo. :/

While you seem to dislike the =O= shoulder patches I think they work better on their set than the 3/4 sen face does as a shoulder patch. I am not really sure why you used both the classic Sens logo(which I do love BTW) and the current one. Its à little jarring to have them both on the jersey, especially when the original logo or even the new sideways logo look so much better than comic book sen.

I think there was a shoulder patch or secondary O logo that could have been used here that would look much better. Even the =O= patch you don't like would work better than the face which competes with the.primary.logo rather than complimenting it.

I also kinda liked the side panels of the first set and think the vertical pant stripe looks cleaner and works better with either set than the three line repeat pattern. Sometimes when trying to perfect à concept we can hit à great look and then lose it trying to perfect it ever.more. I feel like thats what happened here as I really don't see much wrong with the first version at all. *shrug*

...on the positive side, it does look really clean. I am very much in awe of your ability to recreate team logos perfectly by hand. Love the.concepts you come up with, will eagerly look forward to more! :)

Thank you all for commenting on the last concept. While I can definitely understand why you might prefer version 1.0 of the Senators, I'm very happy with how the update turned out. Anyhow, on to the next team. Number 29 of 30.

Winnipeg Jets

Created a new logo from scratch because in my opinion, neither iteration of the Jets has ever had a decent logo let alone a good one. That being said I am a big fan of the new colour scheme. Light Blue, Navy and Silver go great together especially when the lighter blue is dominant. For the jerseys I wanted something that could be considered a modern classic. Bold stripes, lace up collar and no cliched Maple Leafs. As always C & C appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at110130AM.png

Morgo said:

Winnipeg Jets

Created a new logo from scratch because in my opinion, neither iteration of the Jets has ever had a decent logo let alone a good one.

k67p.png

:sleeping:

Way too boring for a team called the Jets.

Because the New York Jets logo is so exciting? Get out of here. It's a good logo that is part of a great series.

Did I say the NY Jets looked good either? No, I didn't. Also, I never said it was a bad logo, all I said was that it's too bland of a concept for a team with name like that.

It is a good logo, but Fallen is right though in that it does look a little bland. Vehicles like Cars, Planes, Jets can look good but can also look static especially at straight angles, thats why previous Jets logos have featured speed lines or a rondel or background element, it helps an image to look less static, more dynamic.

I do quite like the Jet you drew, and do think the Maple Leaf removed from the logo makes a lot of sense, but I wonder if it might look better within the Roundel the current logo uses? I'd liken it to the Penguins current logo or the Sharks alt logo, without their background they look a little off.

Anyways, logo concerns aside, I like the color mix on these jerseys quite a bit. Another good looking set. But one last nitpick, I do wonder why the design we see for the pants isn't really anywhere else on the set...

Do certainly wish I could draft and draw half as well as you've shown here. :o

I can accept constructive criticism but in this case I feel the need to defend myself. How does putting a jet in a roundel make it more dynamic? Integrating speed lines from the logo to the striping could be an interesting concept but I feel it would disrupt the traditional feel of the jerseys. Call the logo bland if you want but try comparing it to the depictions of jets in the current and pre 1997 logos and I'm sure you will see the dilemma I was faced with. The logo was meant to be simple and to the point.

Regardless, I appreciate you all taking the time to comment. Another update is scheduled for tomorrow :)

Last of the current batch and a much needed update.

New Jersey Devils 2.0

The devils were one of the first teams I did for this series and the lack of refinement in the logos of the original definitely shows. I used to think the Devils looked better in Red and Green though recently I've changed my mind. The home jersey is identical to the current set while the away makes red the dominant colour. The third jersey uses green but I opted for more of an olive shade get rid of the christmas association. Not expecting a lot of C & C but thanks for looking anyways. This series is winding down but it's definitely been a blast :).

Screenshot2014-06-29at103541AM.png

New Jersey Devils 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105606AM.png

• 4 weeks later...

With the completion of the Chicago Blackhawks, all 30 teams have now gotten the hand drawn treatment. This will be the second last batch of 5 before the conclusion of the series. With the Blackhawks I come with 4 updates starting with the Flames

Calgary Flames 2.0

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe adding black was an absolute necessity for this team whose first set lacked any semblance of contrast. It just doesn't need to be the secondary colour. The home jersey is based off the red jersey from 2004 with simplified striping and black & white reversed. The road also takes inspiration from the 04 set but adds a red shoulder yoke as a nod to 80's set. For the third I tried to rescue to horse head logo by eliminating the goofy smile and placing it on a red jersey. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at115129AM-1.png

Calgary Flames 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104704AM.png

Archived