Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

Greetings!

This is my second hand drawn series (my first was the Vintage Video Game Hockey League). In this series I will be redesigning the jerseys of all 30 NHL franchises... by hand. All 30 teams have now been completed though updates are still forthcoming. Thanks for looking smile.gif

Atlantic
Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Florida Panthers

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders
New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars

Minnesota Wild

Nashville Predators

St Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

Vancouver Canucks

Previous Versions
Anaheim Ducks 1.0
Buffalo Sabres 1.0
Buffalo Sabres 2.0
Colorado Avalanche 1.0
Colorado Avalanche 2.0
Columbus Blue Jackets 1.0
Dallas Stars 1.0
Dallas Stars 2.0
Edmonton Oilers 1.0
Florida Panthers 1.0
Los Angeles Kings 1.0
Los Angeles Kings 2.0
Minnesota Wild 1.0

Minnesota Wild 2.0
New York Islanders 1.0
New York Islanders 2.0
New Jersey Devils 1.0
Ottawa Senators 1.0
Philadelphia Flyers 1.0
Phoenix Coyotes 1.0
Pittsburgh Penguins 1.0
San Jose Sharks 1.0
St Louis Blues 1.0
St Louis Blues 2.0
Tampa Bay Lightning 1.0
Tampa Bay Lightning 2.0
Toronto Maple Leafs 1.0
Vancouver Canucks 1.0
Washington Capitals 1.0
Washington Capitals 2.0
Winnipeg Jets 1.0

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I want to say that your VVGHL was my inspiration to start making hand drawn concepts. I don't have the software so hand drawing works well for me plus that fact that I am not a terrible artist. Check out the Global Baseball League to see my work. Second I admire the flawlessness of your work. In my concepts, there's always a smudge or some kind of mistake, but with yours, they are executed to perfection. I am looking forward to seeing this series because with hand drawn concepts there are certain things that you can't do and that opens a door to completely new possiblities that might make a redesign better. With Tampa, I think the logo on the third jersey is better than the primary but that might just be because I love the circle/lightning logo they have now. It makes them look like an original six team. I like how you made blue more prominent too. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words Philsphan. Smudges and mistakes happen to me as well and when they do, I always scrap the drawing and start over. Since I have everything traced beforehand, it's not as time consuming as one would think but still frustrating. Anyhow, I will definitely be checking out your work and I hope you decide to do another series :)

Cheers

First off, kudos on doing such a professional job on a hand-drawn concept. Hand-drawing folks--this is what you need to aspire to.

That said, that B looks *very* awkward, though I don't have a ready suggestion for how to fix it. I'm also not sure about the little stripes under the arms--reminds me of armpit hair. :P Overall, though, this is a very solid design.

rATMcmK.png

Next concept!

St Louis Blues

I hated the Blues Edge jerseys when they were first released but I must say they have grown on me. Usually a lack of hem stripes makes a jersey a non starter for me but for some inexplicable reason, the blue-note looks good without them. That being said I hate the arch piping and the melted appearance of the shoulder yoke so I went with a bolder, more angular design. I also changed the sleeve striping to be more similar to the fantastic pre-edge design. I've always liked the Blues in Blue Yellow and Red... just not full time. The alternate scheme provides a refreshing change and resurrects the music staff motif from the 90's.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105854AM.png

Once again C & C encouraged and appreciated though I will not be changing anything until all 30 teams are done. Thanks for looking!

Ok, I know that the name refers to the music and not the color, but that still seems like too much red for a team called the Blues. Since removing the stripes on the chest would negate the point of the design, I suggest removing the stripes on the sleeves or consolidating them into fewer stripes.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

if you are going for the music theme striping like their old jerseys, you'll want to add one more line to be accurate.

I'm with you, in some cases the lack of hem stripes can work just fine. Blues look good!

For the Lightning i'd stick with just the black pants for everything, and it's a toss up on the main logo for me. The overall design is a good mix of eras for them - old design, new blue direction.

Ok, I know that the name refers to the music and not the color, but that still seems like too much red for a team called the Blues. Since removing the stripes on the chest would negate the point of the design, I suggest removing the stripes on the sleeves or consolidating them into fewer stripes.

I kind of like the quirkiness of the "staff" across the chest, but I would change the color to navy for the staff. Also, a staff has 5 lines, not four

I really like the Blues unis, any chance of getting helmets with these?

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Nice to see someone else who hand-draws his concepts. (I've done it once, and I have another drawn concept in the works.)

As a St. Louisan, I'd say you did a fine job on the Blues. As much as I miss the red, I do admit the double-tone blue suits them better.

Next concept in the series!

Minnesota Wild

The Wild have what has to be one of the most frustrating identities in the NHL. They can't decide if they wan't to look like 2000's expansion team (road jersey) or whether they wan't to play original six dress up (Home, Alt). I sought to rectify this problem with a modern looking set with subtle nods to the past. The striping on the home and away is based off the late 80's/early 90's North Stars jerseys. Green is the primary colour once again and you will notice that the logo is not restricted by a tired circle or replaced by a boring script. The Wild have one of the best modern logos of recent memory and it should always be featured front and centre. I've always liked the Wild' original Iron Range Red sweaters... just not full time. The alternate is based off those but features a new secondary logo that gives yet another nod to the old Northstars team. This logo is also featured on the shoulders of the primary

morgowild.png

As always C & C greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Love the overall collection for St. Louis. Good balance of colors, and the alternate is a very nice update of their old look, with clever use of the music lines. But there are two issues: first, the number of red lines needs to be five (as others have said); secondly, where would the sleeve numbers go? It seems like that big pointed shoulder section comes way too far down the sleeves to allow for numbers.

Of course, I understand that this is all being done by hand, which is impressive and admirable. But I think it would go a long way if you put some sleeve numbers (and maybe even a captain's C) on these to make them a bit more realistic.

Minnesota is pretty good, though I think the striping pattern is working better on the white jersey than on the green one. While I can't quite put my finger on the problem, I think keeping the exact same striping on both (red over gold over green) and eliminating the white stripe altogether (with the gold so light, I'm not sure you even need the white) would help and create a more consistent set.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Love the overall collection for St. Louis. Good balance of colors, and the alternate is a very nice update of their old look, with clever use of the music lines. But there are two issues: first, the number of red lines needs to be five (as others have said); secondly, where would the sleeve numbers go? It seems like that big pointed shoulder section comes way too far down the sleeves to allow for numbers.

Of course, I understand that this is all being done by hand, which is impressive and admirable. But I think it would go a long way if you put some sleeve numbers (and maybe even a captain's C) on these to make them a bit more realistic.

Minnesota is pretty good, though I think the striping pattern is working better on the white jersey than on the green one. While I can't quite put my finger on the problem, I think keeping the exact same striping on both (red over gold over green) and eliminating the white stripe altogether (with the gold so light, I'm not sure you even need the white) would help and create a more consistent set.

First off thanks for taking the time to give such thorough feedback. You make an excellent point of about the sleeve numbers on the Blues set. I realize now that theres no way those shoulder yokes would ever work which is a shame because I really like the way they look. I'm thinking I might go in a completely different direction with the Blues once I do the update. 5 lines or not, the more I look at the alternate, the more I realize it's simply not working. Too much red as C Richardson pointed out and too many stripes on the sleeves.

As for Minnesota, the gold appears much darker on the original drawing. Unfortunately the scanner doesn't pick it up as well as I would like (Had the same problem with the silver on the Tampa set). Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. The Blues will be updated eventually but I'd like to focus on the other 27 teams for now :)

Archived