Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

Ya know, I never really did like that Nashville logo (probably because I associated it with that ugly pukey green color sweater that they had years ago), but I really like what you've done here. I love that you kept the yellow sweaters and I like the simplicity of the concept, even if the logo is more out there.

Good job!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the kind words and constructive criticism. Next team!

Ottawa Senators

Initially I didn't like the RBK re-design of the Senators jerseys but am surprised to admit that unlike a lot of the class of 2007, they haven't aged too badly. That being said there is certainly room for improvement. The biggest obstacle to the Senators having an original look is the fact their jerseys are confined to an awful template also used by the Pittsburgh Penguins. I sought to change that by adding hem stripes and simplified sleeve striping. The only aspect from the current jerseys I kept were the side panels. I've always thought they looked pretty good on Senators. The forward facing Senator has replaced the current primary which has been demoted to the third jersey crest.

The alternate attempt to evoke the feel of the Barber pole jerseys without going completely barber pole. The retro fad is wearing thin for me and the Senators are a 90's expansion team. It's bad enough the Lightning are playing original 6 dress-up.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105744AM.png

As always, C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking smile.gif

LOVE the side-facing Senators logo so I like to see that you incorporated that into your design, while also using the current front-facing one on the alternate. I've never actually loved that side striping, but it's well done on your concept and it's really your stylistic decision to include it. Overall a solid and clean concept. Nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Calgary Flames

In my opinion, the best the Flames have ever looked was in 2006/07 when they dropped the Black Horse Head jersey and went with the Pre-Edge red and whites full time. Since then, they have become one of the worst dressed teams in the league with an awful amalgamation of Reebok's terrible ideas. The flags look tacky and moronic... like something you'd see on a European team and the sheer amount of unnecessary piping on both the jerseys and pants borders on retina searing. This is why I returned to the spirit of the pre-edge set with a few tweaks. The Flames are a classic expansion team with a Stanley Cup and simplicity suits them. That is why there are no shoulder patches or cute chevron striping. I gave them a modern looking shoulder yoke and simplified hem striping. The sleeve stripes remain on a angle to tip the hat to 2004 run.

calgaryflames.png

calgaryflames2.jpg

As always C & C very much welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

As a passionate Flames fan, this is the best Calgary concept I've ever seen on this site. My constructive criticism would include:

- change the collar and lace colour to black on the home jersey and red on the road jersey. The Flames road jersey looks much better with red on the shoulders.

- I've never liked hockey sock designs where the top of the sock is different than the bottom. If you went with the socks they did wear pre-Edge, I think it would be an improvement.

- I would like to see what a Flames home jersey where white is not used at all would look like. Not sure if it would work, but maybe I'll have to try my own concept sometime! :)

Last one of the current batch! The hand drawn NHL is officially half way done!

Pittsburgh Penguins

Time for another unpopular opinion... The mid 90's update to Penguins logo produced the best looking mark of their history. It's ironic that it is derogatorily referred to as the "Robo Pigeon" when it looks more like a Penguin than anything before it. I wanted a unified set that combined the best elements of the three jerseys from that era. The middle stripe from the alternate returns sans gradients and the striping tips the hat to not only the primaries from that era, but the cup jerseys as well. For the third I opted for a simple yellow jersey with broad stripes and that great logo front and centre.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105834AM.png

As always C & C welcome and very much appreciated. I've started work on the next four teams that will be posted sometime next month. Thanks for looking smile.gif

Yeah I agree with Philsphan to make those sleeve stripes match, but other than that fantastic set right here. I personally was never a fan of the skating penguin, and this color scheme is much more vibrant and eye-catching. I would buy that third jersey in a heartbeat. Great job! Are you coming back with updates next or more new teams?

Cohenj.png

The Senators look great. I usually hate side panels on jerseys, but I think it works for Ottawa here. I'm also a big fan of the striping on the third as a nod to the barber-pole jerseys without going over-the-top.

Pittsburgh looks simply fantastic! Each one of those jerseys is a thing of beauty. It's hard to envision the pens wearing anything better. I would keep the arm stripes the same. I think the asymmetry works in this case.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Penguins look awesome! Pittsburgh was actually one of the next teams I was thinking of doing and I also sought to bring back good ol' "Robo-Penguin". I really like how you went with the awesome 90s template sans the gradients. And the yellow alt is amazing! I'd totally buy one of those if they were real.

As a passionate Flames fan, this is the best Calgary concept I've ever seen on this site. My constructive criticism would include:

- change the collar and lace colour to black on the home jersey and red on the road jersey. The Flames road jersey looks much better with red on the shoulders.

- I've never liked hockey sock designs where the top of the sock is different than the bottom. If you went with the socks they did wear pre-Edge, I think it would be an improvement.

- I would like to see what a Flames home jersey where white is not used at all would look like. Not sure if it would work, but maybe I'll have to try my own concept sometime! :)

I'm glad it gets your stamp of approval howie. You should do that flames concept :).

Yeah I agree with Philsphan to make those sleeve stripes match, but other than that fantastic set right here. I personally was never a fan of the skating penguin, and this color scheme is much more vibrant and eye-catching. I would buy that third jersey in a heartbeat. Great job! Are you coming back with updates next or more new teams?

Appreciate the kind words. I'm going to try and do 4 new teams and 1 update for the next batch. The Coyotes are already done.

The Senators look great. I usually hate side panels on jerseys, but I think it works for Ottawa here. I'm also a big fan of the striping on the third as a nod to the barber-pole jerseys without going over-the-top.

Pittsburgh looks simply fantastic! Each one of those jerseys is a thing of beauty. It's hard to envision the pens wearing anything better. I would keep the arm stripes the same. i think the asymmetry works in this case.

Appreciate the kind words as always. I am also not a fan of side panels but the Sens look has been a real grower. I don't think I could picture them without the panels now :)

The Penguins look awesome! Pittsburgh was actually one of the next teams I was thinking of doing and I also sought to bring back good ol' "Robo-Penguin". I really like how you went with the awesome 90s template sans the gradients. And the yellow alt is amazing! I'd totally buy one of those if they were real.

Thanks man! I gotta give Piratesfan some credit as he did a similar but not indentical concept that inspired this design.

• 1 month later...

After a lengthy, near two month absence, the hand drawn NHL is back! I have completed 4 new teams and 1 much needed update. Onto the first!

Anaheim Ducks

8 Years removed from the Anaheim Ducks visual overhaul and name change, it seems less like a victim of bad design and more like a tragedy. The decision to vanquish arguably one of the most iconic and well designed hockey logos of the 90's is unforgivable. Especially considering the static, uninspired, propriety word mark that replaced it. For this concept I set out to bring back the feel of the old jerseys while making them a little more subtle. I noticed the logo had never featured any eggplant purple so I decided to eliminate the colour all together. The over the top, diagonal hem stripes have also been replaced with something a little more traditional and the logo features some minor tweaks. For the alternate, I went with the jade as a primary colour and used the Standalone "Duck Footprint." Makes a great crest but not a great primary logo.

Screenshot2014-06-29at104608AM.png

As always C & C welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Big fan of the home and away jerseys, I really disliked the original Mighty Duck jerseys but that was mainly because of that godawful striping and not so much the logo. Your striping is really an improvement on those. As for the alternate, I like the use of the duck foot with the old colors. Just a couple suggestions on that one. First, the logo seems a little large on the jersey compared to the logos on the other two. Secondly, I think that the heavy use of jade in the logo clashes too much with the rest of the jersey set. To fix this, I would either recolor the duck foot logo replacing most of the jade with white and using it just as an accent, or use jade on the jerseys as an accent, to make the set flow better. Nice to see this series back!

Cohenj.png

Time for the second update of this series

Buffalo Sabres 2.0

While I've always been a proponent of the Sabres 90's look, I've finally begun to agree with the consensus that the Sabres should not be dressed in Red, Silver and Black. It's far too common in the NHL as is and theres no historical precedent for it. While the Buffaslug remains the worst logo in team history, I've really begun to appreciate the colour scheme associated with it. The Navy blue really makes the Athletic Gold 'Pop' and the silver makes too much sense since Swords are... well... silver.

I toke my original Sabres concept and made it over with the Buffaslug scheme and am really pleased with the results. The "B" sword has been added to one of the shoulders and the diagonal hem striping has been smoothed out to appear less static. I could have made a "classic" throwback but I really don't see the appeal of the Sabres original look. The Blues used those colours in vastly superior way and I think the original logo looks terrible (unpopular opinion I know).

Screenshot2014-06-29at104626AM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-29at104645AM.png

As always C & C is appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Archived