Mississauga's OHL Team Renamed Steelheads; New Logo Unveiled

I wouldn't include the Calgary Hitmen on the list of good team names. I get why they called them the Hitmen, but professional wrestling is stupid! So many better choices in our city's hockey history. Really wish they had gone with Calgary Wranglers, Calgary Cowboys or Calgary Chinooks. Hell, even calling them the Calgary Junior Flames would be a major improvement.

You think pro wrestling is stupid, plenty disagree.

Plenty would agree as well.

I actually overlooked a great 'Dub identity. How could I have forgotten the Regina Pats?!

The Regina Pats are the oldest major junior hockey franchise in the world that have continuously operated from their original location and use the same name. They began operations in 1917. They were originally named the Patricias, after Princess Patricia of Connaught, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and daughter of the Governor General (the Duke of Connaught). The team name was also associated with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, to the point that Pats sweaters still bear the regimental crest as a shoulder patch.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael's Majors name and logos were to be returned to the school for use by the institution's much anticipated Division 1 hockey program. Additionally, Mr. Melnyk has announced that he is donating all St. Michael's Majors branded hockey equipment and jerseys to the school's hockey program.

arent they called the Majors b/c theyre the major level of junior hockey? how would this apply to div 1 college? am i missing something?

Michael's Majors name and logos were to be returned to the school for use by the institution's much anticipated Division 1 hockey program. Additionally, Mr. Melnyk has announced that he is donating all St. Michael's Majors branded hockey equipment and jerseys to the school's hockey program.

arent they called the Majors b/c theyre the major level of junior hockey? how would this apply to div 1 college? am i missing something?

Nope, the team was named after the school in Toronto which was very famous for turning out players who played in the NHL. In fact a gentleman that I work with (he's past retirement age but stuck around) tells me stories all the time about being a kid. The boys who went to public school would sneak the St. Mike's boy's out at night and they'd all go hang out. The list of names he has mentioned, just famous Leafs alone, is mind blowing.

As for the discussion about the Hitmen's name. Bret Hart was a founding owner (not sure if he owns any of the team anymore) so it at least makes a little bit of sense. Part of what I like about major junior hockey is most of the team's names are all based off of something local......except my hometown Battalion. I still don't get who thought that was a good name for a team from Brampton.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It might not be the best local name but brampton has one of the best identities in all of hockey, if you don't look at the logo.

FYP.

If Brampton had beat Kitchener to the punch and used that soldier logo, your original statement would be true.

bwvycsbvgjjd9bl2wt3elo8uy.gif>b36t9r84cqgexrf90ittxwg28.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

The maple leaf is a nice touch. It really reminds you that Mississauga is in Canada, which is important when you play in a league that's almost exclusively in Canada.

That's a terrible logo. The fish is ugly and overly detailed, it reads "Steelheads Mississauga," and the distortion on "Mississauga" is really irritating. It should either be straight across or going the same way as "Steelheads."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It adds a much needed touch of blue to a red-heavy league.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

The face looks incredibly awkward and I hate how the left part kind of "tails" off into nothing. Also, am I the only one who sees palm tree leaves in the scale pattern?

I also hate when logos put emphasis on the first and last letters (STEELHEADS).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The maple leaf is a nice touch. It really reminds you that Mississauga is in Canada, which is important when you play in a league that's almost exclusively in Canada.

My theory is that they think they'll get some Leafs fans to come aboard by including a blue leaf in the logo.

My theory is that they think they'll get some Leafs fans to come aboard by including a blue leaf in the logo.

Where do I buy tickets?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I agree with everyone that the wordmark has much left to be desired, but the fish is honestly pretty sweet. A little over-detailed, but it's a solid rendering and has a lot of movement to it.

It could be much worse. :)

Some sort of hint? Any chance you were in on this?

Haha... no, no. I'd like to imagine it would have turned out better than that if I was involved.

But I was referencing our desire to nickpick a new design to death with all the little things we don't like.

Did anybody else notice what I just noticed? They stole the font in Steelheads from Schneiders foods.

schneiders.gif

Logotransparent.PNG

I think it's a little too similar.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I agree with everyone that the wordmark has much left to be desired, but the fish is honestly pretty sweet. A little over-detailed, but it's a solid rendering and has a lot of movement to it.

It could be much worse. :)

Some sort of hint? Any chance you were in on this?

Haha... no, no. I'd like to imagine it would have turned out better than that if I was involved.

But I was referencing our desire to nickpick a new design to death with all the little things we don't like.

I agree you probably would've produced something a lot more solid, but who knows what the client may request?

I totally agree with that too, but I think that's our job ^_^

Archived