New Era unveils new on-field sidelines caps

phutmasterflex

You younger folks don't remember but in the 90s the trend was to leave the TAG on the cap. So in other words this isn't some new age fad. It's always been around.

I don't remember seeing that in the 90s. I saw them wear their caps sideways and pulled one pant leg up.

It did happened. It was pretty popular 1992-1994 or so. I am old enough to remember that because I was in HS at the time.

The jeans tag isn't quite an apt comparison because jeans are put into the washer and the tag would likely come off. Most people don't wash ballcaps.

I'm not judging anyone's fashion choice. I understand the idea behind the sticker. I don't agree with it, but I don't agree with skinny jeans either.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course a thread about hats turns into the sticker/brim debate. If other people want to keep their stickers on or keep their bills straight who cares? There's not right or wrong way to wear a hat. I wear my 59Fifties flat-brimmed with the stickers off. Others wear them differently. I don't understand what this 2+ page argument is supposed to prove?

Manchester-City-icon.png

Of course a thread about hats turns into the sticker/brim debate. If other people want to keep their stickers on or keep their bills straight who cares? There's not right or wrong way to wear a hat. I wear my 59Fifties flat-brimmed with the stickers off. Others wear them differently. I don't understand what this 2+ page argument is supposed to prove?

you are spot on who gives a damn about how somebody else dresses...fashion is what it is, there is no explaining it whatsoever.

if somebody told me that the "urban" pro athlete fashion would go from the thug life period of Iverson's corn rows & tats to seeing guys lebron and dwight howard dressing like urkel...I would've said you're out of your f-ing mind...and here's where we are at.

on another note I thought the suits last night on the nba draft were rather tame.

You younger folks don't remember but in the 90s the trend was to leave the TAG on the cap. So in other words this isn't some new age fad. It's always been around.

I don't remember seeing that in the 90s. I saw them wear their caps sideways and pulled one pant leg up.

It did happened. It was pretty popular 1992-1994 or so. I am old enough to remember that because I was in HS at the time.

The jeans tag isn't quite an apt comparison because jeans are put into the washer and the tag would likely come off. Most people don't wash ballcaps.

I'm not judging anyone's fashion choice. I understand the idea behind the sticker. I don't agree with it, but I don't agree with skinny jeans either.

I was still a kid during that period of the 90s.

I guess I'll just never understand this decision to keep the stickers on. Just curious as to why people want to do it. For those who do keep it on, is there a particular reason? (This is all about curiosity for me. I am not trying to start a movement or anything like that)

Go A's!

Looks like most of the outer outlines on the front logos are raised. On the back, the outermost outline on the NFL shield is raised. The stickers on the brim are the same as MLB on field caps, only there is a new "NFL On Field" logo/design. Inside tags are the same as MLB, only NFL logo instead of MLB logo obviously. Basically exactly the same as the MLB on field.

I have a rather extensive collection of MLB on-field 5950's. I am relatively young and wear them slightly curved with no sticker on the brim. The fad that really doesn't make much sense to me is the snapbacks. Are they concerned the size of their head is going to change or what? Anyways, I disagree with the idea that 5950's look ridiculous because, personally, I feel like they are the only hats that do fit properly and don't look ridiculous.

g4104.png

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't wanna bump an old topic but did want to share this and think this is the best place to put it.

Went to the Lids store yesterday and saw a bunch of these on the shelves. Looked at the and saw they were made in China. And like most Chinese-made New Era caps, the sizing is different. I normally wear a 7 1/2 but these China caps size them too big. A 7 1/2 is too loose for me whereas a 7 3/8 fits me perfectly. So there's that if you decide to order these online and won't get a chance to try them on

Go A's!

Saw the Browns hat in person yesterday. I like it, but please could New Era / Nike use this logo for more than just women's gear:

2tgfj27mexxtg6gt2mhwax6wr.gif

I thought they were going to retire this at some point, but yes, I do see it more on women's gear than men's.

(I can't stand this mark myself, which is why I spent a lot of time coming up with alternatives.)

When people keep the stickers on, it's like they just stole it.

Sorry for the language I'm about to use, but this isn't the first time I've heard of someone claiming that, and it's just about the dumbest :censored: I've ever heard in my life... a stolen hat with the sticker still on it looks EXACTLY THE SAME as one that was just bought for $36 at Lids. How exactly does keeping the sticker on a hat make it look "more stolen?"

FWIW, the guys I knew in high school who kept stickers on their hats did so to prove it wasn't a cheap knock-off.

Looks like most of the outer outlines on the front logos are raised. On the back, the outermost outline on the NFL shield is raised. The stickers on the brim are the same as MLB on field caps, only there is a new "NFL On Field" logo/design. Inside tags are the same as MLB, only NFL logo instead of MLB logo obviously. Basically exactly the same as the MLB on field.

What do you expect it's exactly the same company and all the things you described were manufacturers things

Sorry for the language I'm about to use, but this isn't the first time I've heard of someone claiming that, and it's just about the dumbest :censored: I've ever heard in my life... a stolen hat with the sticker still on it looks EXACTLY THE SAME as one that was just bought for $36 at Lids. How exactly does keeping the sticker on a hat make it look "more stolen?"

FWIW, the guys I knew in high school who kept stickers on their hats did so to prove it wasn't a cheap knock-off.

I never said "more stolen", you did.

I take the stickers off my cap and none of my friends ever question if my caps are authentic or not. That's because I never give the impression of the type of guy that wears fake stuff. I've never worn fake stuff before, so why would anyone think I'd wear fake caps?

Wearing a sticker to prove it isn't fake is dumb. If your friend isn't known for wearing fake stuff, then people wouldn't assume. Plus, fakes are easily distinguishable among real caps. No need to keep the sticker on to prove that it's real

Go A's!

Saw the Browns hat in person yesterday. I like it, but please could New Era / Nike use this logo for more than just women's gear:

2tgfj27mexxtg6gt2mhwax6wr.gif

Looks too generic. Kind of like something you could find in Microsoft PowerPoint. When did they use this or is this a fashion logo?

I take the stickers off my cap and none of my friends ever question if my caps are authentic or not. That's because I never give the impression of the type of guy that wears fake stuff. I've never worn fake stuff before, so why would anyone think I'd wear fake caps?

Wearing a sticker to prove it isn't fake is dumb. If your friend isn't known for wearing fake stuff, then people wouldn't assume. Plus, fakes are easily distinguishable among real caps. No need to keep the sticker on to prove that it's real

I have actually heard people at my school say that if the hat doesn't have the sticker on it, it's not real. Sometimes I can't believe how dumb people are.

I have actually heard people at my school say that if the hat doesn't have the sticker on it, it's not real. Sometimes I can't believe how dumb people are.

Me too. That kind of thinking only makes sense if everybody actually wears fake stuff so there has to be reasonable reasons to doubt authenticity of things.

Go A's!

• 1 month later...

I just got the TB Bucs throwback version today. Wow. I'm basically stuck with NE because the make pretty much any baseball hat in the world (I like the products, but it just doesn't fit my head perfect like the 3930's do). I am really shocked at the quality and the fit. The logo is raised stitching and so is the NFL logo on the back. I figured I'd look like a traffic cone in the orange, but the crown is not as high as the baseball hats. I'm really glad I bought this hat. I am a Lids member, but they have that buy one full price, get one half sale still so I paid full price for this (this isn't a half off deal, but it will score most others half off) and grabbed another 5950 for $17. Free ship. Couldn't beat it.

Also, (which is strange) I have the NE 3930 draft cap and it is loose and fits nothing like my 3930 Batting Practice cap. Talk about being surprised twice by NE.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived