Bengals in all black in 2003

phutmasterflex

I was watching NFL Network and they showed an opening day clip of the Bengals in an all-black uniform in 2003. This was the season before they switched to their current set. I tried to find a picture of it and was only able to find one:

157473_6923847dillon.JPG

I don't remember this, but was this a one-time thing for the Bengals? I don't ever recall black pants being part of their uniform style with that set. Anyone have more info on this? Just curious.

Go A's!

I was watching NFL Network and they showed an opening day clip of the Bengals in an all-black uniform in 2003. This was the season before they switched to their current set. I tried to find a picture of it and was only able to find one:

157473_6923847dillon.JPG

I don't remember this, but was this a one-time thing for the Bengals? I don't ever recall black pants being part of their uniform style with that set. Anyone have more info on this? Just curious.

Marvin Lewis surprised the team with those pants for their first game of the year. They lost the opening game to Denver. They wore them at home in week 17 against Cleveland with the playoffs on the line and lost that game too. So to answer your question, they were worn exactly twice.

They changed to their current uniforms the next season.

It's a shame because that was already a great uniform set and those pants would've added an extra element. I remember all season hoping to see them with the white jerseys but it never happened. I was surprised when they came out in them against the Browns as I had figured they superstitiously benched them after getting throttled by Denver in week 1.

more pictures:

p1_johnson_rudi.jpg

p1_kitna_ap.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

157473_6923847dillon.JPG

Marvin Lewis surprised the team with those pants for their first game of the year. They lost the opening game to Denver. They wore them at home in week 17 against Cleveland with the playoffs on the line and lost that game too. So to answer your question, they were worn exactly twice.

They changed to their current uniforms the next season.

It's a shame because that was already a great uniform set and those pants would've added an extra element. I remember all season hoping to see them with the white jerseys but it never happened. I was surprised when they came out in them against the Browns as I had figured they superstitiously benched them after getting throttled by Denver in week 1.

more pictures:

p1_johnson_rudi.jpg

p1_kitna_ap.jpg

Thanks for answering my curiosity. Now I can go on the rest of the week without these lingering questions on my mind. I must say, they looks really nice and way better than their current set.

Go A's!

I've always felt that a team known as the 'Bengals' should have orange jerseys with black stripes, not the other way around.

Has anyone ever seen a black Bengal Tiger? I've seen a rare white one with black stripes, but never a black one with orange stripes.

Sorry ... I don't like them in black ... I like the orange set.

I also wish that both the Bengals and the Ravens had kept their natural grass surfaces that they originally had when their new stadiums had opened. I don't get why teams like the Redskins, Browns, and Packers have grass but those 2 did away with it. I applaud the Steelers and Eagles for staying with grass.

09000d5d81c47b20_gallery_600.jpg

I've always felt that a team known as the 'Bengals' should have orange jerseys with black stripes, not the other way around.

Has anyone ever seen a black Bengal Tiger? I've seen a rare white one with black stripes, but never a black one with orange stripes.

But by that logic, that means the Bills should be in brown colored uniforms. Has anyone seen a blue Seahawk?

I'm fine with the Bengals in black because at least it is a color on the actual animal. And the fact they have an orange alt works for me too

Go A's!

But by that logic, that means the Bills should be in brown colored uniforms. Has anyone seen a blue Seahawk?

I'm fine with the Bengals in black because at least it is a color on the actual animal. And the fact they have an orange alt works for me too

Well first of all, was Buffalo Bill brown?

Second of all, the "are there navy bears? green eagles? blue lions?" argument doesn't hold here, because bengal tigers are orange and black, and the team does use orange and black. Since they're clearly trying to resemble their mascot, it doesn't make sense for them to be black-based.

All that being said, I do like that old look. I also like the leaping tiger on the sleeve, but I'm not sure that it works anymore with today's tank top jerseys. Just extend the stripe pattern all the way to the cuff (sort of like the current set) and it's perfect. I think that even monochrome haters have to be OK with their black on black look from that era.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I also wish that both the Bengals and the Ravens had kept their natural grass surfaces that they originally had when their new stadiums had opened. I don't get why teams like the Redskins, Browns, and Packers have grass but those 2 did away with it. I applaud the Steelers and Eagles for staying with grass.

It all comes to use of the stadium. Green Bay and Cleveland are the only regular tenants of their respective stadiums, so even with grass, the turf isn't getting eaten up with constant use from multiple tenants. For some reason, the Bengals weren't able to maintain the grass surface, and found it easier to host more events with a turf field.

Washington DC is a bit further south, and that makes a difference in maintaining the quality of the grass field.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have two of the worst fields in the league. Both fields host many teams (Steelers/Pitt and Eagles/Temple), so trying to maintain those fields is a big exercise in futility.

Gillette Stadium's field used to be grass, but it got destroyed by a bad storm, and was replaced with turf mid-season. I'm surprised that Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and even Tennessee have kept grass at the point, considering the quality (all poor) and multiple tenants destroying it over the course of a season.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Second of all, the "are there navy bears? green eagles? blue lions?" argument doesn't hold here, because bengal tigers are orange and black, and the team does use orange and black. Since they're clearly trying to resemble their mascot, it doesn't make sense for them to be black-based.

See that's where you and I differ. The fact that they used the actual colors of the animal is enough for me. I don't need them to look 100% like them. I don't need them to be orange because the Bengal tiger is orange. It'd be nice but if they went orange, that means the entire jersey needs to have stripes to match the helmet and I don't want a team to look like real tigers on the field. I like it as is

Go A's!

Washington DC is a bit further south, and that makes a difference in maintaining the quality of the grass field.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have two of the worst fields in the league. Both fields host many teams (Steelers/Pitt and Eagles/Temple), so trying to maintain those fields is a big exercise in futility.

Gillette Stadium's field used to be grass, but it got destroyed by a bad storm, and was replaced with turf mid-season. I'm surprised that Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and even Tennessee have kept grass at the point, considering the quality (all poor) and multiple tenants destroying it over the course of a season.

Washington and Baltimore are only 30 miles apart, so I don't see what difference that makes for the Ravens to of done away with their original grass.

The Steelers keep theirs because the players have consistently pleaded with the Rooney's to keep the grass, feels it gives them an edge.

I've heard the Steelers gets beat up and isn't the best, I hadn't heard that about the Eagles. I don't see why Pitt doesn't have their own stadium to play their games in. As far as I'm concerned with all the profits the NFL brings in, they should have natural grass in all stadiums except the retractable domes, like the Rams who I wish would move back to LA where they belong. (sorry Rams fans in St L)

Also .... Doesn't the new stadium in AZ have a surface that is wheeled outside of the stadium where they maintain it? If that's the case, I don't see why they didn't do that same technology with all the money spent on the new Met Life and Cowboys Stadiums. College and NFL clubs shouldn't ground-share. NFL is big-business and all teams should play on grass no matter the cost. (exception NO, ATL, ST L, DET, MIN) ........ (IMO)

The big soccer leagues in Europe and England don't allow artificial surfaces, yet they make it thru the very rainy and near-freezing and at times sub-freezing temperatures during winter. So does the English 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th tiers. Some of them even house rugby matches.

See that's where you and I differ. The fact that they used the actual colors of the animal is enough for me. I don't need them to look 100% like them. I don't need them to be orange because the Bengal tiger is orange. It'd be nice but if they went orange, that means the entire jersey needs to have stripes to match the helmet and I don't want a team to look like real tigers on the field. I like it as is

I understand your argument, but since the Bengals are using their natural colors, I don't see why they don't reverse the colors and go with orange w/ black stripes and keep it as it should be. If they were only using a logo on the helmet like LSU does then I could comprehend it, but they use real Bengal colors in the entire uniform scheme, but they have it reversed.

The orange w/ black striped alternate should be primary IMO.

Here's a case of monochrome done well. The thick tiger-stripe patterns give the black just enough contrast to not be overwhelming.

I'd like to see this combo done with an orange sock, to avoid the leotard problem and to balance with the helmet. Eve without that, this was a good look and a solid set. The Bengals' look post-Champion was something that could and should have stayed a lot longer than it did. Add an orange alternate top or a throwback set - done. Now we're entering season nine of mishmash panels, wildly inconsistent striping, a bad drop-shadowed font, and a certifiably baffling primary logo.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I understand your argument, but since the Bengals are using their natural colors, I don't see why they don't reverse the colors and go with orange w/ black stripes and keep it as it should be. If they were only using a logo on the helmet like LSU does then I could comprehend it, but they use real Bengal colors in the entire uniform scheme, but they have it reversed.

I see your point but at least for me, it doesn't have to be orange. Since it's an alternate is fine with me. Taking the colors of the actual animal doesn't mean a team MUST copy the animal for their uniform. It's not like the black is a bad look either. The fact that orange is an alt is good because it's unique in itself and the fact they don't wear it all that often gives it some kind of mysterious aura feel to it

Go A's!

I see your point but at least for me, it doesn't have to be orange. Since it's an alternate is fine with me. Taking the colors of the actual animal doesn't mean a team MUST copy the animal for their uniform. It's not like the black is a bad look either. The fact that orange is an alt is good because it's unique in itself and the fact they don't wear it all that often gives it some kind of mysterious aura feel to it

Pretty much this. Sometimes you just have to go with what looks better. In my opinion, the black jersey looks better as the regular uniform.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived