2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Let's you and I look at the big picture as we stand next to Kasandra Perkins' casket and see if she comes back to life. Let's discuss the big picture with her family and see if it consoles them. Let's make a picture book of the big picture so Zoe can understand it when she gets older and see if it helps her overcome this.

What is this but sound and fury signifying nothing? No one's out to prove anything. Apparently you're still operating under the premise that to explain despicable behavior is to excuse it. People are naturally inquisitive and want to know how something of this enormity came to be. The CNN piece you're lamenting has an interesting perspective on how people are known to collapse under unreasonable societal/subcultural expectations. Again, this does not make it okay to murder people. Murder is universally wrong. But people don't live in vacuums, and a discussion of what led to this isn't out of bounds, histrionic emotional appeals notwithstanding.

At least we can agree on one thing.

"Histrionic emotional appeals"? Hyperbolize much? Cherry pick posts, assign false points of view, and overreact? Let's do ourselves and everyone else a favor and just leave this here.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob (and, by extension, Jason) make no effort to allude to the hundreds or thousands of cases that almost certainly exist out there where homeowners were killed during robberies because they DIDN'T have firearms to protect themselves with.

Can you cite some proof of that? I'm not taking a side or looking for a fight. It's just that every time a gun debate starts, I hear that type of argument being tossed around. I'm just curious as to how many homeowners have thwarted criminals by breaking out the firearms.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Bob (and, by extension, Jason) make no effort to allude to the hundreds or thousands of cases that almost certainly exist out there where homeowners were killed during robberies because they DIDN'T have firearms to protect themselves with.

Can you cite some proof of that? I'm not taking a side or looking for a fight. It's just that every time a gun debate starts, I hear that type of argument being tossed around. I'm just curious as to how many homeowners have thwarted criminals by breaking out the firearms.

Or been killed because they haven't or couldn't.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Its a stretch but not a completely unreasonable one. When you see how many people stop burglaries when they have weapons:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=homeowner+stops+burgler+gun&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=active#hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&spell=1&q=homeowner+stops+burglar+gun&sa=X&ei=LOK8ULnfKIas2gXiuYHQDA&ved=0CC0QvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=5fd9d6b9f90edb74&bpcl=39314241&biw=1245&bih=857

And you can assume some of those burglaries would have happened had the homeowner not had a weapon. And you can further assume that some of those would have been killed in the process.

It's a ton of assumptions. I doubt its thousands but I'm sure some homeowners that shot first saved their own lives and lives of loved ones.

I'm betting its about the same number of children killed by accidentally discharging their parents weapons (about 500 a year) but still...It happens.

BTW I support gun ownership I just think we need to all be smarter about weapons, training, who has them and how they are stored in homes. They are not the cause of all violence nor are they the protectors of all citizens.

"Histrionic emotional appeals"? Hyperbolize much? Cherry pick posts, assign false points of view, and overreact?

Yep, that describes the "he's a scumbag plain and simple" crew to a T. :P

No reason we can't mourn the tragedy while working to prevent another. Maybe that's possible, maybe it isn't, but it can only happen if we're all willing to have an honest dialogue about this situation.

Its a stretch but not a completely unreasonable one. When you see how many people stop burglaries when they have weapons:

http://www.google.co...iw=1245&bih=857

And you can assume some of those burglaries would have happened had the homeowner not had a weapon. And you can further assume that some of those would have been killed in the process.

It's a ton of assumptions. I doubt its thousands but I'm sure some homeowners that shot first saved their own lives and lives of loved ones.

I'm betting its about the same number of children killed by accidentally discharging their parents weapons (about 500 a year) but still...It happens.

BTW I support gun ownership I just think we need to all be smarter about weapons, training, who has them and how they are stored in homes. They are not the cause of all violence nor are they the protectors of all citizens.

As do I.

Anyway, thanks for the info. You made some great points.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Don't look now, but the Redskins have a chance to win the division. Of they do, RGIII should win Rookie of the Year in my opinion.

Eh, that defense will keep them out of enough games that Griffin can't carry it enough.

On the other hand, Dallas caught a break and a half tonight.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Don't look now, but the Redskins have a chance to win the division. Of they do, RGIII should win Rookie of the Year in my opinion.

Eh, that defense will keep them out of enough games that Griffin can't carry it enough.

They did not catch anything since they lost to WAS at home on Thanksgiving.

Last 4 WAS games: BAL, @CLE, @PHL, DAL

Last 4 DAL games: @CIN, PIT, NO, @WAS

Last 4 NYG games: NO, @ATL, @BAL, PHL

They did not catch anything since they lost to WAS at home on Thanksgiving.

Last 4 WAS games: BAL, @CLE, @PHL, DAL

Last 4 DAL games: @CIN, PIT, NO, @WAS

Last 4 NYG games: NO, @ATL, @BAL, PHL

It becomes a one game deficit either way now. New York will lose at least one, likely two games. Washington loses to Baltimore. Dallas has a shot.

I'm also a realistic enough fan to see that Dallas will likely lose to the steelers and bengals... And saints... I can dream, can't I?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

That we did. If the Giants lose two more, the Cowboys can afford to lose to either the Bengals or the Steelers as long as they win the other 3.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Andrew Luck? 2-14 to probably at the least 10-4 (8-4 now, TEN, @HOU, @ KC, HOU)? (Also with an outside shot at the division if they go 12-4/11-5)

Andrew Luck.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Skins played well, if that defense can play like the way they did tonight, they'll be a tough out. Also their sked is amazing the rest of the way. Any team that loses to Charlie Batch, at home is not a team I'm scared of.

Also if Tony plays the way he did last night, then the Cowboys very well could win out. I don't know of any quarterback that gets more flac on their record in a certain month.

Just incase you were wondering Romo is 9-12 in December.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't who is the biggest trolling team in sports, the Giants, St. Louis Cardinals, or Phoenix Coyotes. Those are teams that just never go away. The Giants get killed in Cincy, only to have themselves hammer the Pack the next week, then losing a heartbreaker tonight. They aren't the friendliest logo to trollface, but someone has to do it if they win a game in the playoffs(like how the Cards came back on DC a couple of months ago)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Andrew Luck? 2-14 to probably at the least 10-4 (8-4 now, TEN, @HOU, @ KC, HOU)? (Also with an outside shot at the division if they go 12-4/11-5)

Andrew Luck.

You can't go wrong with Luck either. He's been amazing as well.

To me, it's a tough choice.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Andrew Luck.

You can't go wrong with Luck either. He's been amazing as well.

To me, it's a tough choice.

IND shows that in 2011, they did not have a d@mn QB and the roster didn't care.

Rookie Alfred Morris assists Bob Griffin aka Bobby 3Stix.

Bobby has made the 'skins seem to actually be relavent for the first time in over a decade.

Russell Wison may take a team to the tournament too. but Bobby 3Stix is the ROY and possible MVP next to Peyton.

Archived