Better Logo? Obama Campaign vs. Romney Campaign

Dexter Morgan

Better Campaign Logos  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's really great articles in the GuardianUK and NYTimes that breaks down the shear brilliance of the Obama branding in the 2008 campaign vs the other candidates. In particular, the GuardianUK writer goes into great detail around the symbolism of the typeface (Gothem). Pretty cool read from a graphic design/typography geek perspective!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/artblog/2008/jul/10/obamasmediacampaignbranding

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/the-o-in-obama/

I don't want politicians to have immaculate, master-planned graphic design packages. It crosses a line for me. I know everyone loves what the Obama campaign did in 2008 because we're all design geeks, but something about it intimidates me, makes me feel somehow steamrolled. Leave branding for corporations.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Obama's logo is superior; however, I'm voting for neither of them in this poll.

Why not?

The whole individualistic "branding of the presidential office" disturbs me.

Fake Edit: Didn't see the admiral's response.

Yeah, I'll third that sentiment. "Logos" for politicians leave a bad taste in my mouth. The Obama logo is fantastic for what it is, I just don't like what it is.

I prefer the system we have up here. The party leaders just use the colours and logos associated with their parties.

Why not?

Yeah, I'll third that sentiment. "Logos" for politicians leave a bad taste in my mouth. The Obama logo is fantastic for what it is, I just don't like what it is.

I prefer the system we have up here. The party leaders just use the colours and logos associated with their parties.

Understand the issues with the brand, but for me what you're saying is even worse.

The last thing I want to do is to decrease the idea that I'm voting for an individual and increase the idea that I'm voting for a party. I hate the idea of branding the candidates as their party.

That said... it's a more accurate representation, I'll give you that. Most people do vote for the party not the candidate. But from my viewpoint, I don't want to see it that way.

Why not?

Understand the issues with the brand, but for me what you're saying is even worse.

The last thing I want to do is to decrease the idea that I'm voting for an individual and increase the idea that I'm voting for a party. I hate the idea of branding the candidates as their party.

That said... it's a more accurate representation, I'll give you that. Most people do vote for the party not the candidate. But from my viewpoint, I don't want to see it that way.

Well the thing is our elections are more "party driven" then yours are actually. In Canada the leader of the party with the most seats in Parliament becomes Prime Minister. So the party and individual are often intertwined.

In the US the President is chosen via a separate election. What party controls the House or Senate doesn't impact who wins the Presidency, so in a lot of ways the individual does eclipse the party in that regard. So I understand why personal logos have started to become the norm. Still, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Another plus to the way political branding works up here is that each party has a distinct colour scheme and set of symbols. Canada's national colours are red and white, but only one of the five parties in our Parliament uses that colour scheme. That being the Liberal Party. The Conservatives use royal blue, white, and red. The NDP uses bright orange and light green. The Green Party uses a dark kelly green and white. The Bloc Quebecois uses navy, light blue, red, and the fleur-de-lis. Each party has a distinct visual style up here, whereas in the States every candidate of both major parties uses red, white, and blue, and some variation of the stars and stripes motif. Even Obama's logo, which I think we can all agree is the most well designed and original American political logo in recent memory, falls back on these motifs.

The identities of the Canadian Political Parties including the defunct ones. Note the Canadian Alliance with it's canucks-esque scheme.

whatsavedthebloqquebeco.jpg

It's a bit outdated, even beyond featuring the Progressive Conservative and Canadian Alliance logos. The Greens just use green and white these days and they've tweaked the logo a bit as well.

300px-Green_Party_logosvg.png

Though I do see an odd election sign here and there that uses the old logo and green/yellow colour scheme.

The Liberals also changed their logo after Dion's (then) historically bad performance at the polls. They're current logo is more traditional, which fits given that they're the "traditional governing party of Canada."

327px-Liberal_Party_of_Canada_Logosvg.png

Though this was the logo that they used during Ignatieff's run. Given that Ignatieff's performance at the polls made Dion look well-liked in comparison, you have to wonder if they're going to tweak it again. They dropped the logo you posted to distance themselves from the Dion era, but Iggy's era was even worse.

As for the Vancouver Canucks and Canadian political logos? Years ago I did a Canucks concept that used the logo of the Christian Heritage Party of Canada as the primary. I just recoloured it from maroon and white to blue, white, and kelly green.

CHPlogo.png

Whatever your thoughts are on this party, that C/leaf combo seemed like a promising potential Canucks logo for my concept-making purposes at the time.

...with a link to a conservative site. Ok, then.

It's a stylized stars/stripes motif. Should there be seven red stripes? Probably. Then again, no one's rioted over the New England Revolution logo, either. Is the attached article a bit hyperbolic? Ayup.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

...with a link to a conservative site. Ok, then.

It's a stylized stars/stripes motif. Should there be seven red stripes? Probably. Then again, no one's rioted over the New England Revolution logo, either. Is the attached article a bit hyperbolic? Ayup.

I acknowledge that I'm more intrigued about the flag design than the content that's discussed within the article. Your New England Revolution logo comparison is exactly the response I hoped someone on this board would make in regards to the flag, therefore the linked story is a non-issue.

Would that count as defying the Flag Code, or no?

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The article linked to above is the most ridiculous garbage I've ever read. Some of the posts above are too, for that matter. (Dictators? Really?)

Take off your tin-foil hats and take this for what it is. It's not some New World Order. It's not a new american flag. It is a piece of art, done by an artist to support the Obama campaign.

Obama did not paint this. I highly doubt him or his team even created the concept. This is an artist's way of displaying his political views, and helping to raise funds for Obama's campaign.

Archived