When Sports Aesthetic Criticism Goes Bad

Viper

Whenever anyone says, "I hate all this PC crap", what they're actually saying is, "I miss the good old days when the people we like to make fun of kept their mouths shut."

Sorry no not the case, at least not for me. I'm all for stamping out GENUINE slurs, be they racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it. But as detailed in my post above, when you cant called a board that IS black, a blackboard because a politician (who in the UK chances are is WHITE) has deemed it "might" offend someone then I'm sorry I feel things have gone to far.

Like I've said all along, if a particular group within society finds a word, term, action or whatever offensive THEY should make that public THEN action should be taken.

If people have problems THEY should be the ones making society aware of them. The problem I have right now is action is being taken BEFORE offense is caused. And it's often being taken on behalf of others by those who aren't of the same persuasion and dont know what they are on about so over react. The trouble with those types of actions, is people dont know where they stand, or worse start to rebel against what were to begin with well intentioned ideas, such as political correctness.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

freedom of speech

freedom to be dumbass pricks.

childish antics. but what can we expect from these homophobic southern morons. they get taught creationism in high school---how we can we expect reason or tolerance from such people?

Now hold up a second. There is no since in bashing Southern Beliefs in religion. This topic has nothing to do with God and I will take a stand against anyone knocking how us southerners were raised. Because there are idiots all over the world and there is no sense in calling out Southerners who were raised in religion as the evildoers.

You're a backwards ass redneck.

Freedom of Speech.

freedom of speech

childish antics. but what can we expect from these homophobic southern morons. they get taught creationism in high school---how we can we expect reason or tolerance from such people?

Now hold up a second. There is no since in bashing Southern Beliefs in religion. This topic has nothing to do with God and I will take a stand against anyone knocking how us southerners were raised. Because there are idiots all over the world and there is no sense in calling out Southerners who were raised in religion as the evildoers.

Freedom of Speech.

Not really, I am a highly educated country boy that lives in the city where I work around a variety of people who share different beliefs than I do. I love each of them as I love my family, but I may not approve of what they do or believe in. Now the real question is when did this term become a vulgar word to say? The reason I am asking is that I have heard that word so many times when guys are hanging out playing video games or shooting hoops and I have never heard anyone say, "You can't say that because it is not politically correct!"

spacer.png

freedom of speech

Freedom of Speech.

Hmmmm, nice try troll. I dont even live in the states and even I know that Freedom Of Speech means you cannot be imprisoned by the Government for speaking out against them, and that's about it.

It does not give you the right to intimidate or verbally abuse someone as you did above, those are still crimes... but then you knew that which is why you did have the balls to sign in under a genuine user name!

9erssteeve

9ersstevesig.png

freedom of speech

Ummm...American Christianity for the most part DOES tend to promote homophobia, etc. (You know, they whole "homosexuality is a sin" bit). They also tend to push the notion that "homosexuality is a choice" for related reasons which...well...a growing body of scientific evidence indicates that may not be entirely the case.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Whenever Often times when someone anyone says, "I hate all this PC crap", what they're actually saying is, "I miss the good old days when the people we like to make fun of kept their mouths shut."

Sorry no not the case, at least not for me. I'm all for stamping out GENUINE slurs, be they racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it. But as detailed in my post above, when you cant called a board that IS black, a blackboard because a politician (who in the UK chances are is WHITE) has deemed it "might" offend someone then I'm sorry I feel things have gone to far.

Like I've said all along, if a particular group within society finds a word, term, action or whatever offensive THEY should make that public THEN action should be taken.

If people have problems THEY should be the ones making society aware of them. The problem I have right now is action is being taken BEFORE offense is caused. And it's often being taken on behalf of others by those who aren't of the same persuasion and dont know what they are on about so over react. The trouble with those types of actions, is people dont know where they stand, or worse start to rebel against what were to begin with well intentioned ideas, such as political correctness.

9erssteve

Here. I fixed his post.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

freedom of speech

Ummm...American Christianity for the most part DOES tend to promote homophobia, etc. (You know, they whole "homosexuality is a sin" bit). They also tend to push the notion that "homosexuality is a choice" for related reasons which...well...a growing body of scientific evidence indicates that may not be entirely the case.

Christianity teaches people that one "sin" is not bigger than another and that we should love the person and not the sin. As far as homosexuality being a choice, I have never believed that. In fact, once Eve removed the apple from the tree she made us all be born into sin, therefore we could either be born as a homosexual, alcoholic, addicted to drugs, etc.

spacer.png

freedom of speech

Christianity teaches people that one "sin" is not bigger than another and that we should love the person and not the sin. As far as homosexuality being a choice, I have never believed that. In fact, once Eve removed the apple from the tree she made us all be born into sin, therefore we could either be born as a homosexual, alcoholic, addicted to drugs, etc.

Teaching that it is a "sin" does, at the very least indirectly, promote homophobia.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Whenever anyone says, "I hate all this PC crap", what they're actually saying is, "I miss the good old days when the people we like to make fun of kept their mouths shut."

9erssteve

The use of "gay" as a pejorative in this country isn't exactly new, but at the same time its pejorative use IS a direct result of the word being used as a way to describe homosexuality. So yeah, that used probably should be socially discouraged on general principle for that reason.

HOWEVER...given more contemporary associations of purple, such as it being a weak, possibly effeminate color, well...I'm not exactly sure "They didn't know better" is a completely viable excuse here.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

freedom of speech

Teaching that it is a "sin" does, at the very least indirectly, promote homophobia.

So teaching people that it is a sin to murder someone would promote Do Not Kill. What is your point? Teaching people that cheating on your spouse is a sin, promotes couples to stay faithful.

spacer.png

freedom of speech

So teaching people that it is a sin to murder someone would promote Do Not Kill. What is your point?

The point is that standard church doctrine on the concept of sin is that 1) it is still wrong, 2) you should stop committing sin, and 3) if you keep committing the sin, then by golly you probably aren't a good person and *assorted condemnations, ostracism, and possible consignment to "the bad place down there" go here*

The point is that classifying something as a sin is very much intended to be a negative thing. However, it is implied to be a negative because it is also understood that the sin is always "by choice". This runs into problems, though, when it becomes evident that certain sins are not entirely "by choice" on a fundamental level. Again, given the evidence that's starting to pop up that homosexuality is more on the "nature" rather than "nurture" side of the divide, well this is kind of like saying black skin is either a sign of sin or that the person is a sinner.

Oh wait, that happened too.

Today, we are all otaku.

Hmmm...white teens in Alabama being culturally insensitive pricks? Shocking.

If ever there was a culture of "entitlement" that was undeserved it is middle and upper class whites in the south. It does not shock me at all that these kids are homophobic. They are most likely the grandchildren of the people who protested integration of schools.

I have almost no tolerance for southern "culture", its influence in American life is far greater than it should be. It holds us all back from being a truly great nation because it is based on ignorance, racism, evangelical fundamentalism and nostalgia for a lifestyle based on human enslavement.

I look forward to the day when the white population in Alabama is the minority and they lose their power base.

But I guess I am just a biased but unapologetic Yankee on this. The south will rise again, and the north will once again beat it back down.

If ever there was a culture of "entitlement" that was undeserved it is middle and upper class whites in the south. It does not shock me at all that these kids are homophobic. They are most likely the grandchildren of the people who protested integration of schools.

I have almost no tolerance for southern "culture", its influence in American life is far greater than it should be. It holds us all back from being a truly great nation because it is based on ignorance, racism, evangelical fundamentalism and nostalgia for a lifestyle based on human enslavement.

I look forward to the day when the white population in Alabama is the minority and they lose their power base.

But I guess I am just a biased but unapologetic Yankee on this. The south will rise again, and the north will once again beat it back down.

Anyone that ever complains about "PC" should not really complain about this, lest they open themselves up to be called "PC".

POTD (Shared)

Interesting! You hate southerners, well guess what we don't hate you, well at least this Kentucky man. I have never met anyone in Alabama that I did not like, but I have in Eastern Kentucky and the Western Hills of West Virginia, there are some strange folks in those neck of the woods.

spacer.png

I was once called a, "damn Yankee," by an Auburn fan after they won the second greatest football game I've ever been to (NUvUA Outback Bowl).

The prick (who was of college age, but clearly couldn't've gotten into any college worth note) kept walking behind me and my father, taunting us loudly by talking to his drunk hick of a girlfriend (or perhaps sister, too). He was talking about how NU payed off the refs, how they cheated and how we "yankees" couldn't come down to the south and beat a southern team because they invented football.

At some point I snapped and started telling him to go away and disputing his bull :censored: point by point, fact by fact, to which he paused, called me a damn Yankee and then told me to take Obama back with me to Chicago (no, Obama and politics had not come up and yes, Obama was in DC).

This is the stereotype southerners have to overcome, because I've met more southerners like this than of the tolerant, god-fearing kind we're told exist.

I was once called a, "damn Yankee," by an Auburn fan after they won the second greatest football game I've ever been to (NUvUA Outback Bowl).

The prick (who was of college age, but clearly couldn't've gotten into any college worth note) kept walking behind me and my father, taunting us loudly by talking to his drunk hick of a girlfriend (or perhaps sister, too). He was talking about how NU payed off the refs, how they cheated and how we "yankees" couldn't come down to the south and beat a southern team because they invented football.

At some point I snapped and started telling him to go away and disputing his bull :censored: point by point, fact by fact, to which he paused, called me a damn Yankee and then told me to take Obama back with me to Chicago (no, Obama and politics had not come up and yes, Obama was in DC).

This is the stereotype southerners have to overcome, because I've met more southerners like this than of the tolerant, god-fearing kind we're told exist.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I had this same type of treatment at a Philadelphia Flyers game because I had on an Avalanche Jersey. Stupid drunks appear every where, not just in the south. Heck, didn't a fan of the 49ers get killed or beaten last year by a drunk Raiders fan?

spacer.png

Sorry no not the case, at least not for me. I'm all for stamping out GENUINE slurs, be they racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it.

Excellent.

You should then be in favor of "stamping out" the use of "gay" as a perjoritive. The kids in this specific instance are using the word to insult other kids by implying that there is something wrong or less masculine or shameful about being homosexual.

When you strip away everything else, all the hypotheticals and everything, that's what we're left with.

Can we agree that what the kids did with their banner was wrong?

I completely understand what you are saying, but I had this same type of treatment at a Philadelphia Flyers game because I had on an Avalanche Jersey. Stupid drunks appear every where, not just in the south. Heck, didn't a fan of the 49ers get killed or beaten last year by a drunk Raiders fan?

2 Things:

1. I kinda like you nuordr, so I'm not taking shots at you. Even though you Chose to be from Kentucky, I kinda don't mind you [shudders].

2. You're comparing terrible southern fans to the two WORST professional sports fan bases in the US, Raiders fans and all Philadelphia fans.

2 Things:

1. I kinda like you nuordr, so I'm not taking shots at you. Even though you Chose to be from Kentucky, I kinda don't mind you [shudders].

2. You're comparing terrible southern fans to the two WORST professional sports fan bases in the US, Raiders fans and all Philadelphia fans.

I see what your saying. But I will admit that SEC fans can be horrible, especially when the teams lose or barely wins. I hate that you had to go through that, but my biggest problem with drunks at games is when they are yelling or cursing in front of kids, now that pisses me off. Leave the kids out of it!

spacer.png

Archived