When Sports Aesthetic Criticism Goes Bad

Viper

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

freedom of speech

I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, that really doesn't apply here since the First Amendment only protects against government censorship of speech.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Ok first off I want to make this perfectly clear, I have ZERO problem with homosexuality, as far as I'm concerned another persons sexuality is really none of my business, and everyone should be treated equally as a matter of common decency regardless and I do not for one second condone intolerant behaviour of any kind.With that said however I have to ask a few questions here.

1st, were any gay people actually offended by this? The article doesn't seem to cite a single offended person, of any sexual orientation. The only person that seem overly upset was the journalist and the Head Teacher, but I think that was more to do with embarassment than genuine offence at the statement. If genuine complaints were received then yes action should be taken, but as far as I can tell this seems to me like a knee jerk reaction from a media company that wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get it's knuckles wrapped.

2nd, at what point did gay officially become the sole property of the homosexual community? It's a word they co-opted. For those of a certain age there was a brilliant sketch on Kids in the Hall, with an old woman on her poarch that explores just this topic. If you dont remember it, or are too young to have seen it first time then look it up. The meaning of the word has already changed once in recent memory why cant it be changing again?

3rd, why does writing it down make it worse? It's a phrase used increasingly TV shows, and round a lot of schools in the way it was on this banner and no one is taking action against those people. Like I said I dont condone genuine homophobia in any way shape or form, but cant help but feel this was just over excited kids using what most regard as a throw away term for "wimpy", and a broadcaster overreacting.

Dont get me wrong this wasn't smart, and measures should be taken to make sure future banners dont have the potential to cause offence, but with that said before kids are expelled or overly disciplined I think the whole thing needs to be put in context and the question asked was it their intent to just wind up the opposing fans or was it really a call to go discriminate against, take action against or do worse to those of a different sexual persuassion? And I think pretty much anyone with some common would agree that probably wasn't the case for the majority of kids involved. Like I said I'm NOT trying to defend what they did, I'm just trying to add some food for thought and try and counter what I feel is just overly politically correctness gone mad.

9erssteve

Oh and while we're putting things on record I HATE purple. ;)

9ersstevesig.png

Anyone think a couple Ravens or Vikings should show up at that school and ask those kids how they feel about men who wear purple?

I propose Ray Lewis & Jared Allen :P

Purple is awesome.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

3rd, why does writing it down make it worse? It's a phrase used increasingly TV shows, and round a lot of schools in the way it was on this banner and no one is taking action against those people. Like I said I dont condone genuine homophobia in any way shape or form, but cant help but feel this was just over excited kids using what most regard as a throw away term for "wimpy", and a broadcaster overreacting.

I'm not going to respond to your entire post, but I take extreme issue with the idea that the usage of the word "gay" in a derogatory way is a phrase used "increasingly TV shows [sic]". That is a flat out lie.

Obviously the students who wrote this banner aren't actively participating in the bashing of homosexuals and are probably just dumb high school students like we all were at one point, but the fact that there is still a thought process that links the idea of homosexuality with being a bad thing is absolutely a problem. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter whether anyone who is gay was offended by this, because there is no circumstance under which casual hate speech should be tolerated. I'd like to think that disciplinary action would have been taken whether or not this banner had been shown on national television.

Also, purple is a great color and I wish it were used with more frequency.

gameday-main-08.jpg

jake-locker-2.jpg

330zl3b.png

To be honest I'm upset, but that's not the worst/most offensive I've seen in high school student sections.

Back when I was in high school for the state playoffs in basketball we played a (very) predominantly white school *cough*Pekin*cough* at their home court.

My school's team was predominantly black.

They had a tar baby hanging in the student section. I repeat, THEY HAD A MOTHER :censored: ING TAR BABY, HANGING IN THE STUDENT SECTION.

/Cool Story Bro

//That's MY baseline

I lived in Peoria for two years. From what I heard about Pekin, this does not surprise me.

From your "Wikipedia" link, though, it does appear that Pekin, in 1980, was caught up in the political correctness that is destroying America:

The school teams were known as the Pekin Chinks from the 1930s until 1980 when the school administration changed the nickname to the Dragons.[14] The team mascots were a male and female student dressed as Chinese persons wearing traditional Chinese attire. An earlier attempt was made by a visit of Chinese American groups to change the name from Chinks during the 1974?1975 school year; this was voted down by the student body. The event received national attention.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

freedom of speech

It is not freedom of speech according to the first amendment, however, people really need to stop with this politically correct crap. I am sick of people always being offended of this or that.

spacer.png

I'm not going to respond to your entire post, but I take extreme issue with the idea that the usage of the word "gay" in a derogatory way is a phrase used "increasingly TV shows [sic]". That is a flat out lie.

Obviously the students who wrote this banner aren't actively participating in the bashing of homosexuals and are probably just dumb high school students like we all were at one point, but the fact that there is still a thought process that links the idea of homosexuality with being a bad thing is absolutely a problem. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter whether anyone who is gay was offended by this, because there is no circumstance under which casual hate speech should be tolerated. I'd like to think that disciplinary action would have been taken whether or not this banner had been shown on national television.

Also, purple is a great color and I wish it were used with more frequency.

gameday-main-08.jpg

jake-locker-2.jpg

Is it? Where's your proof? I'm not saying using it is right and I'm not saying it's rapidly increasing but as far as I can tell it is. There was a time when it was never used, then it started cropping up in South Park, and has since been used in other shows I've seen. Like I said it's not a huge increase but it's an increase.

Like I said I'm not even trying to defend hate speech, I'm just trying to assertain whether that is indeed how it was intended, which I dont think it was. Secondly I'm try and find out when, or even IF homosexual people feel they have sole ownership of a word or phrse that was in the english lexicon before anyone ever used it to define a persons sexuality? Going by the original dictionary definition of the word, the banner said purple was lovely, which the vast majority of people in this thread - but not me not matter how hard you try ;) Seem to agree with.

At what point do we stop? I mean over here in the UK, we've used the term Blackboard to describe a large board which is black that a teacher wrote on with white (or coloured - dont want to be chalkist) chalk, But now apparently it has to be reffered to as a chalkboard because the term black may be deemed offensive! I mean seriously? It's a board, it's black end of. As a pasty Scottish lad who's barley seen the sun this year I dont get bent out of shape when I hear a Penboard to give it it's PC name reffered to as a white board! I know that's pushing things with regards this topic as the banner was written to wrile up other people but seriously where is the line? And who keeps moving it? People who are genuinely offend and ask for it to be moved, or over protective beauracrats, who's babying always turns out to be counter productive, being offended on their behalf?

Like I said hate speech should not be tolerated under any circumstance, and YES discipline should be handed out, but before thta happens those at the school need to ask was this actually hate speech? Also is the fact that ESPN feels gay people can't come out and defend themselves, but need them to jump in and protect them, not equally as offensive, if we stop and think about it?

I'm not looking to cause a huge political or even grammar related debate, these are all just thoughts that popped into my head on a dull friday at work. Take them for what they are, one persons opinions/questions.

Hate speech = bad - High school kids being jackasses = just part of growing up, as you said we've all been there!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

freedom of speech

freedom to be dumbass pricks.

childish antics. but what can we expect from these homophobic southern morons. they get taught creationism in high school---how we can we expect reason or tolerance from such people?

Now hold up a second. There is no since in bashing Southern Beliefs in religion. This topic has nothing to do with God and I will take a stand against anyone knocking how us southerners were raised. Because there are idiots all over the world and there is no sense in calling out Southerners who were raised in religion as the evildoers.

spacer.png

freedom of speech

It is not freedom of speech according to the first amendment, however, people really need to stop with this politically correct crap. I am sick of people always being offended of this or that. I look at it this way, if you choose to live your life a certain way, then you must deal with the consequences and that is what I tell my step-brother and he is homosexual. Now I am not saying people should run around and try to offend people, in fact I believe you should show love to one another, but I will not bash a bunch of kids for having a good time, nor will I say that it is their parents fault because everyone is raised differently and that is the beauty of America.

Stop posting.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Another lover of the color purple here. My favorite color is green, but I have gotten enough comments about how purple looks good on me over the years that I just roll with it. I've got a lavender dress shirt I bust out for stuff like job interviews and weddings. And yet somehow I've managed to avoid taking one up the tush from a dude.

Live and let live as long as it isn't hurting me.

freedom of speech

It is not freedom of speech according to the first amendment, however, people really need to stop with this politically correct crap. I am sick of people always being offended of this or that. I look at it this way, if you choose to live your life a certain way, then you must deal with the consequences and that is what I tell my step-brother and he is homosexual. Now I am not saying people should run around and try to offend people, in fact I believe you should show love to one another, but I will not bash a bunch of kids for having a good time, nor will I say that it is their parents fault because everyone is raised differently and that is the beauty of America.

freedom of speech

freedom to be dumbass pricks.

childish antics. but what can we expect from these homophobic southern morons. they get taught creationism in high school---how we can we expect reason or tolerance from such people?

Now hold up a second. There is no since in bashing Southern Beliefs in religion. This topic has nothing to do with God and I will take a stand against anyone knocking how us southerners were raised. Because there are idiots all over the world and there is no sense in calling out Southerners who were raised in religion as the evildoers.

I look at it this way, if you choose to live your life a certain way, then you must deal with the consequences and that is what I tell my cousin and he is a Christian. Now I am not saying people should run around and try to offend people, in fact I believe you should show love to one another, but I will not bash a bunch of posters who are capable of rational, independent and weren't born in the most backwards part of America for having a good time.

First and foremost, homophobic behavior is absolutely unacceptable and the fact those students did that troubles me greatly. If I were in a position to do so, I'd have suspended those students or taken some form of action to ensure that wouldn't happen again.

Secondly, purple is a fantastic sports color. I'm having a hard time thinking of a case where I haven't liked it; it seems to work well with nearly every color it's paired with in my mind. I know I certainly would like the Jazz to wear it again, and have for a few years. It's just a great color for sports brands.

Homophobic slurs are intolerant and disrespectful to others especially if it was a rival school. Maybe the kids could need some "Punishment" from the school and they will be expelled. Also, Purple is a great sports color if used properly.

Something tells me these kids would love to have a reason not to show up to school anymore...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

On 9/7/2012 at 8:45 AM, Gothamite said:

You call that "political correctness", I call that "an ounce of respect for your fellow human beings".

(Just to make sure nobody I thought I was deriding "respect" as "PC" as so many love to do.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You call that "political correctness", I call that "an ounce of respect for your fellow human beings".

I agree.

Now, I usually say "I hate PC", but that's in regards to something like "Indians" or "Braves" or "Utes" being attacked as mascots. As someone of Native American descent, the use of such names has never offended me (in fact, I consider it an honor), and if a team were to be called the Apaches or Cherokees (the two tribes of which I am), I'd be perfectly fine, as long as the tribe itself allowed the usage of it. In that regard, I find the attack of such names (wherein the name is allowed usage by a tribe) unneccessary and frankly at times, insulting, which is what I am against when I say "I hate PC".

However, derrogatory insults are a completely different story. Redskins? Uh, no. Chinks?? No sir. No place for that, and that's where the line is drawn. There's no honor in the use of those names, and that's where a crusade is not just necessary, but needed.

EDIT: I just now realized I had typed "uh-huh" after Redskins when I meant to say "uh-uh" (and have since edited it). I hope those who read this don't think I approve of "Redskins"; I am AGAINST the usage of that name.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

freedom of speech

Which means Alabama and the Federal Government can't toss the kids in the slammer for the banner. Nothing more.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived