When Sports Aesthetic Criticism Goes Bad

Viper

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes: The emoticon to the left pretty much says it all.

As noted by BuzzFeed and a variety of other outlets, Spanish Fort fans showed up for their nationally televised home game with a huge homophobic banner intended to insult their opponents for their choice of school color: purple.

Original BuzzFeed article here.

Yet another reason to never broadcast HS sporting events.

HS kids are stupid, and if you're in HS and think, "Hey, I'm not stupid," Yes you are. Just wait 5-10 years and then think about clothing/music/language/driving choices you've made and the first thing you'll think is, "man was I stupid."

Hopefully we reach a point where "gay" isn't a synonym for "stupid" et. al.

Actually it's more like a synonym for "insufficiently macho", but I get your point.

Of course, there are a couple of NFL teams that would surely beg to differ with this banner as well.

CCSLC signature.png

Ignore the last three words in the video:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

First and foremost, homophobic behavior is absolutely unacceptable and the fact those students did that troubles me greatly. If I were in a position to do so, I'd have suspended those students or taken some form of action to ensure that wouldn't happen again.

Secondly, purple is a fantastic sports color. I'm having a hard time thinking of a case where I haven't liked it; it seems to work well with nearly every color it's paired with in my mind. I know I certainly would like the Jazz to wear it again, and have for a few years. It's just a great color for sports brands.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

First and foremost, homophobic behavior is absolutely unacceptable and the fact those students did that troubles me greatly. If I were in a position to do so, I'd have suspended those students or taken some form of action to ensure that wouldn't happen again.

Secondly, purple is a fantastic sports color. I'm having a hard time thinking of a case where I haven't liked it; it seems to work well with nearly every color it's paired with in my mind. I know I certainly would like the Jazz to wear it again, and have for a few years. It's just a great color for sports brands.

Homophobic slurs are intolerant and disrespectful to others especially if it was a rival school. Maybe the kids could need some "Punishment" from the school and they will be expelled. Also, Purple is a great sports color if used properly.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I was stupid, but I limited my stupidity to bad choices about myself.

I'm glad (and somewhat relieved) to say that I never took out my stupidity on anyone else. And as awful as that would have been lo these many years go, it's even less acceptible in 2012. "Kids are dumb" doesn't begin to excuse this.

Just noticed this:

a huge homophobic banner intended to insult their opponents for their choice of school color: purple.

"Choice"? An odd word to use.

Unless the school recently re-branded, I doubt any of those students chose their school color any more than people choose to be gay.

To be honest I'm upset, but that's not the worst/most offensive I've seen in high school student sections.

Back when I was in high school for the state playoffs in basketball we played a (very) predominantly white school *cough*Pekin*cough* at their home court.

My school's team was predominantly black.

They had a tar baby hanging in the student section. I repeat, THEY HAD A MOTHER :censored: ING TAR BABY, HANGING IN THE STUDENT SECTION.

/Cool Story Bro

//That's MY baseline

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Anyone think a couple Ravens or Vikings should show up at that school and ask those kids how they feel about men who wear purple?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived