2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, because I was just reading some articles about Bruce Lee...knew all about his origin in San Francisco, but had no idea of the roots he had in Seattle, or that he was buried there. Then the guy from Seattle mentions something about martial-arts video game character. (Speaking of which, fun fact: Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat was actually modeled after, and was originally supposed to be, Jean-Claude Van Damme.)

Not that any of this adds one useful iota to this discussion or anything, though, just figured I'd share.

I liked playing as Fei Long, who was basically Bruce Lee Not Named Bruce Lee, in Super Street Fighter II. Coolest stage to fight in, it was like a balcony overlooking some giant urban garden.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's funny, because I was just reading some articles about Bruce Lee...knew all about his origin in San Francisco, but had no idea of the roots he had in Seattle, or that he was buried there. Then the guy from Seattle mentions something about martial-arts video game character. (Speaking of which, fun fact: Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat was actually modeled after, and was originally supposed to be, Jean-Claude Van Damme.)

Not that any of this adds one useful iota to this discussion or anything, though, just figured I'd share.

I liked playing as Fei Long, who was basically Bruce Lee Not Named Bruce Lee, in Super Street Fighter II. Coolest stage to fight in, it was like a balcony overlooking some giant urban garden.

You know, I never really was all that big on Street Fighter...probably because I was never any good at it. You couldn't f*** with me on Mortal Kombat, though—Reptile was my personal favorite to play with, but (in the games that had him) I was unbeatable with Sektor. Heat-seeking missile got 'em every time...just had to know how to control it (and create a good diversion while doing it).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, you know, there were Street Fighter people and Mortal Kombat people, like there were SNES people and Genesis people, the two solitudes within the two solitudes of 1990s video game-playing. I was an SNES/SF person. I suppose I liked the music and hamfisted geography over the minimalism of MK, which at its core was really just a delivery device for gore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What are the chances of the Lakers getting into the Playoffs?

Probably slim to none at this point.

Not only do they need to go on a tear to even get back to .500, they also need Houston, Portland, and Utah to all cool off at the same time and for Dallas to not suddenly get on a roll. The odds of all of this happening probably aren't very good.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I find there to be some amusing irony to Shawn Marion making such requests, though, because he seemed perfectly content in 2008 to be siphoned off from a sure-fire playoff team in Phoenix, to a Miami Heat team that finished up at 15-67 that season.

I mean, the Suns weren't going to win the championship that season (and their window of SSOL greatness was already pretty much closed by this point), but the odds of Marion landing on the championship winner this year (which will likely be the Heat, Thunder, or Spurs) is pretty unlikely too.

spacer.png

Like I said earlier, the Clippers could use him. They're already a contender right now and Marion's perimeter defense (which addresses the Clippers' biggest weakness) would put them over the top IMO. So even if he doesn't get traded to the Heat, Thunder, or Spurs, his window for one or two last ring(s) before he retires isn't necessarily closed.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Last time I checked, teams just under the .500 mark can still qualify, The Lakers will probably get it together over the last month and grab a 7 or 8 seed.

6uXNWAo.png

Last time I checked, teams just under the .500 mark can still qualify, The Lakers will probably get it together over the last month and grab a 7 or 8 seed.

And you know David Stern will do all he can to make that happen.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Is it ok for all players ever to have the same 4-5 teams in their top 3 "Destinations to Play" list? No.

Marion didn't list any specific teams, IIRC. He just doesn't want to waste his last years in the NBA on a lottery team going nowhere.

I'll defer to Michael Bolton to sort of explain my feeling on this:

PETER: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you would do if we had a million dollars and didn't have to work. And invariably, whatever we would say, that was supposed to be our careers. If you wanted to build cars, then you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.

SAMIR: So what did you say?

PETER: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.

MICHAEL: No, you're working at Initech because that question is bull :censored: to begin with. If that quiz worked, there would be no janitors, because no one would clean s**t up if they had a million dollars.

The point of that, besides maybe a grin, is that in sports, as in life, there's a permanent need for guys that clean garbage up. Not everybody can be the superstar. Marion has a recognizable name and a reasonably impressive resume but at this point in his career he's Just A Guy. This isn't the swan song of a beautiful career that will surely culminate in a hall of fame speech, he's just a dude.

Do I understand him not wanting to end his career in some crappy nothing basketball hellhole? Sure, but if the pieces line up and the trade makes sense, sorry broseph stalin. If you don't want to report, don't report.

This isn't EA Sports.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My brother is obsessed with Johnny Cage and Mortal Kombat. He also likes Tekken. Its weird, the old man on that game, Wang Jinrei, kind of reminds of a Chinese Phil Jackson.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

LOLZ THATZ GOTTA B IT!

If Stern was rigging this for the Lakers, don't you think he'd currently have them higher than 11th in the West?

6uXNWAo.png

What's helping LA right now is the fact that Houston, Utah, and Portland have all struggled of late. It's a minor miracle they're only 3.5 out with 30 games to play. So there's still time, in that sense. The challenge is the injuries and the infighting that has engulfed that team. In other words, they'll probably only miss the playoffs by beating themselves, but they've been beating themselves all season anyway. It's probably just not meant to be.

spacer.png

This.

Like I said earlier I've seen this movie before. The good teams that have always been good rarely, if ever, fall from grace so spectacularly. A lot of people want to see the Lakers miss the playoffs and stay terrible for a few years but I doubt it'll happen. Either they'll get it together or the teams ahead of them will fall flat, but something will happen to allow them to sneak into the playoffs and ruin the "Fall of the Lakers" narrative. Maybe they'll even win a first round playoff series they have no business winning just for good measure.

If recent history is to be trusted (and I think it is), you're gonna need to go at least 44-38 to make the playoffs in the western conference. That would mean you expect the Lakers to go 20-10 the rest of the way. I look at their schedule and I just don't see how they pull that off with Pau Gasol out and Dwight Howard playing injured.

It's not an issue of "get it together" right now. It's an issue of an injured team relying on Earl Clark, Robert Sacre, Steve Blake, Antwan Jamison's corpse, Jodie Meeks, etc, to be key figures on a team with a .670 win percentage when there's no defensive commitment and bad chemistry between the two best players. Good luck.

I tend to eschew past trends, since those don't speak to the quality of teams in the present time. Houston is a team that either blows out or gets blown out, Utah is still young but woefully inconsistent, and Portland is a very raw team that isn't quite ready for the big stage (I think I may have written the same thing once before, back in 2007-2008. Go figure.). Like I said earlier, if the Lakers miss the playoffs, it's going to be because of the injuries and their chemistry issues. The teams in front of them are not exactly murderer's row to flag down.

spacer.png

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Just stop. Now. Stop. Please rethink your slim logic.

Archived