2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

Those would be perfect for the Metsies.

They'd still have the problem of too many uniforms though. It'd be six:

- Pinstripe Home

- Cream Home

- Blue Home

- Black Home (Rumor is once this year for a "Mike Piazza Day", but it would still exist)

- Gray Road

- Blue Road

...not to mention they'll probably do another dumb "Los Mets" something-or-other.

Here's what that road blue may look like:

screen-shot-2012-10-16-at-5-24-10-pm.png?w=664

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The St. Louis script was not design to go on the bats, and I've never seen a modification of it that doesn't look awkwardly placed. Being 2 words just really makes it a tricky fit. And I haven't seen one I like yet.

All you have to do is line up the S with the C (they hang off the bat the same way and everything) and the terminal s's. It works.

On the contrary, I've always enjoyed the Springfield Cardinals logo with Springfield on the bat. So I don't think it's just a matter of being different. St. Louis just does not fit on that logo very well.

I particularly like the Springfield Cardinals' alternate with the pastel and pastoral skyline in the state outline. They should get every team in the system using the city name with the bat; I think they all do except Memphis, who aren't named the Cardinals (I think that's the only one in the chain that isn't) but could still make it work with Redbirds.

I think gray jerseys are an opportunity (and somewhat of an onus) for teams to expand their identity. As I said, having the same wordmark on white and gray is much different than having it on white and red or yellow and purple.

Agreed here. Give people the opportunity to wear a jersey that says St. Louis on it. Surely there's a market there; people howled about this same principle in Baltimore, and that's Baltimore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wasn't it confirmed that the black alt is gone after this past season?

still in the guide, but should be used sparingly. as njmeadowlanders suggested, probably to honor piazza if/when he gets inducted into the HOF. maybe another '90s throwback date.

looks like no los mets this year, and that's a good thing considering they'll have 5 jerseys in the regular rotation.

i'm hearing more solidly a new cap as well. EDIT: no new alt cap, just the new BPs like everyone else.

sig2024.png

What if the Cardinals went with a navy STL with white outline on the red cap for the roads? They'd be like the Tigers with home and road caps the same color but with different color initials.

I think the navy StL on red would work well with the gray road set because there's no white on it.

I'd hate that more than anything. I can't stand the idea of having 2 hats so similar. It's like the New York (football) Giants 2 sets of grey pants. Just don't do it. It's silly.

The difference is, they don't sell the pants...

Maybe they should. Not football pants of course, but maybe cargo pants with each team's stripes or design on them.

I've wished for years and years that the NFL would sell athletic shorts and athletic pants that match the teams uniform set. It seems way too obvious for something that's never been done (as far as I know).

Maybe it would look better on the bat if they spelled it all out. Like, "Saint Louis". Or is that a no-no? I wouldn't know. I've spent all of 45 minutes in St. Louis in my entire life.

The name of the city is St. Louis and that's basically how it's always spelled unless someone's trying to get fancy. But again, if they do, they're spelling it incorrectly because the city's name officially uses the abbreviation. And thus, the team's official name is also the St. Louis Cardinals.

I'm not sure if anybody would freak out over that, mind you. I'm not sure how many people even know that the official name uses the abbreviation. But it would bother me.

What about Saint Louis University?/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed here. Give people the opportunity to wear a jersey that says St. Louis on it. Surely there's a market there; people howled about this same principle in Baltimore, and that's Baltimore.

It's one of the reasons I own a White Sox road jersey (in addition to me generally liking full-chest scripts). It's something different, represents the city and is not the same thing you get on the home jersey. I can't see how anyone would choose to buy a gray Cardinals jersey over a white one, or even to buy one in general unless they were diehards who had to have every jersey and hat they wear just because.

I've wished for years and years that the NFL would sell athletic shorts and athletic pants that match the teams uniform set. It seems way too obvious for something that's never been done (as far as I know).

Yeah, I came up with the idea of Reebok making swishy athletic pants for each team in 2002. Make them in all team pants colors, and also alternate fashion colors for teams with only one set (such as green pants with yellow-white-yellow stripes for the Packers). Put the NFL logo on one side and a team patch on the other, above the manufacturer logo. I laughed when I came on this board several years later and saw this come up, finding that about a dozen other people on here came up with the same idea. I would totally buy a pair that looked like the Bears' navy pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's one of the reasons I own a White Sox road jersey (in addition to me generally liking full-chest scripts). It's something different, represents the city and is not the same thing you get on the home jersey. I can't see how anyone would choose to buy a gray Cardinals jersey over a white one, or even to buy one in general unless they were diehards who had to have every jersey and hat they wear just because.

Yeah, I came up with the idea of Reebok making swishy athletic pants for each team in 2002. Make them in all team pants colors, and also alternate fashion colors for teams with only one set (such as green pants with yellow-white-yellow stripes for the Packers). Put the NFL logo on one side and a team patch on the other, above the manufacturer logo. I laughed when I came on this board several years later and saw this come up, finding that about a dozen other people on here came up with the same idea. I would totally buy a pair that looked like the Bears' navy pants.

1. I don't wear jerseys, but generally think that the gray ones look better on people who do. When I was younger and wore them, I only got gray or BP (back in the solid color / mesh days.) I just looks more casual than a bright-white jersey. Obviously a lot like the whites, but there's got to be others who feel like I do as well.

2. Would anyone buy white pants / shorts with goofy stripes on them? Team color I can see, if it's dark, but unless someone is playing "dress up", would they really want to wear the white or bright yellow pants?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Aren't you just talking about marketing merchandise at that point? Aren't we supposed to hate decisions based only on that?

Now, I realize you really just prefer to see them take a second jersey as an opportunity to be a second design, and that's valid. But I don't think the idea of whether fans want to buy it is the best "pure" justification for it.

What about Saint Louis University?/

I'm not entirely sure. A couple of things I'd hypothesize would be (1) they named the university before St. Louis officially declared it's name to be the shortened version, or (2) they, as a Jesuit university, wanted to take the name of Saint Louis himself rather than just the city (although it would obviously still because of the city).

2. Would anyone buy white pants / shorts with goofy stripes on them? Team color I can see, if it's dark, but unless someone is playing "dress up", would they really want to wear the white or bright yellow pants?

Lots of gym shorts have goofy stripes on them. Might as well make them NFL-team-branded goofy stripes if someone will buy them, I suppose.

Looking into it a bit more, I cannot find anything to confirm the spelling. I'm confident I have in the past, but am having no luck now.

Meanwhile, a number of institutions seem to prefer to use the spelled out version, such as the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Saint Louis Zoo.

So, I've got nothing. That said, I'm pretty sure the Cardinals, at least, are officially the St. Louis Cardinals.

Should they come before or after Seattle in alphabetical order? That's the real question here, if by "real" I mean "existing only to perpetuate a silly tangent."

Should they come before or after Seattle in alphabetical order? That's the real question here, if by "real" I mean "existing only to perpetuate a silly tangent."

A silly tangent that I've often paid worthless attention to. I've seen it both ways in video games and on websites and that sorta thing.

To make matters more confusing, I think Saint Louis County is Saint Louis County but plenty willing to also be called St. Louis County. And of course Saint Louis County surrounds but does not contain St. Louis City. And then my home town a little bit out is Lake Saint Louis and NOT Lake St. Louis.

As the (probably not late) great Coach Z once said: "I'm bad at abbreviations!"

1. I don't wear jerseys, but generally think that the gray ones look better on people who do. When I was younger and wore them, I only got gray or BP (back in the solid color / mesh days.) I just looks more casual than a bright-white jersey. Obviously a lot like the whites, but there's got to be others who feel like I do as well.

YES.

NFL team stuff sells very well and a lot of it is already gaudy. On top of that, you obviously can't wear football pants and "rep your team" when you're doing things like working out, playing flag football games, jogging, etc. without looking silly. The day the NFL finally figures out what we've thought for years (I can remember threads about it several years back) they're going to sell a ton.

I would buy a pair of white (or black) shorts with a Bengals stripe the second they come out.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To make matters more confusing, I think Saint Louis County is Saint Louis County but plenty willing to also be called St. Louis County. And of course Saint Louis County surrounds but does not contain St. Louis City. And then my home town a little bit out is Lake Saint Louis and NOT Lake St. Louis.

Panera does business as "Saint Louis Bread Company," no abbrev., around there, but reverts to Panera at/before Jeff City. I stopped at the one in Wentzville or thereabouts once.

As the (probably not late) great Coach Z once said: "I'm bad at abbreviations!"

Jorb

If anything, an alternate light blue bill would suit the Rays.

They use a cap like that in BP. It could be what they are talking about, and I wouldn't mind it on the field.

Yeah, I couldn't really figure where they were going with that. I do have that BP cap.

OR MAYBE a plaid billed cap. That would be sick.

tampa-bay-rays-plaid.jpg

YES.

NFL team stuff sells very well and a lot of it is already gaudy. On top of that, you obviously can't wear football pants and "rep your team" when you're doing things like working out, playing flag football games, jogging, etc. without looking silly. The day the NFL finally figures out what we've thought for years (I can remember threads about it several years back) they're going to sell a ton.

I would buy a pair of white (or black) shorts with a Bengals stripe the second they come out.

Absolutely. It's friggin fan gear. In team colors. It isn't made to be worn to work or to dinner with the inlaws. It's made to be worn to games, while watching games, relaxing, or doing other leisure activities. Very few people outside of BBTV would consider people ruffians for wearing white sweat pants and a jersey to a Bears game or yellow pants and a Packers hoodie while watching the game in a bar.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived