Destructure a 59fifty?

Anubis2051

i always take a shower in mine, and then stick it in the drier for about 45 mins... i did it with the old wool hats, and it still seems to work for me with the new polyester ones too

That's insane to throw them in the dryer. You'll destroy them more often then "fixing" them.

Take a hot shower, not a Scottish Shower. While in it, push the hat down on your head as you shower a bit, to get the shape you want.

When you get out, dry Youself like normal, and pat dry the hat.

Leave it out with something inside to help keep some of its shape and let it dry naturally. Repeat if nessesary.

Remember. Bend the brim. You can't destructive the hat and keep it flat. It won't work most of the time.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

These ideas are all great (trying the video now) but I do have to ask, these all work on the polyester ones right?

Also, should I remove the plastic from the inside?

Nope, the heat will make it mailable and form it to what you want.

It will work on the polyester. I think it works better since it won't shrink as much or at all.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I have tried several times to shrink the new synthetic caps, to no avail. I put it in the oven. I wore it in the shower. I wore it in the shower and then put it in the oven. I haven't been able to get it to shrink at all. I have removed the buckram from wool caps and liked the results, but I won't do it to the new caps because they don't shrink.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The best way to break in a 5950 is simply to wear it a lot. Seriously, thats the only way I've found that works. Playing baseball (or other physical activity) in it and getting it sweaty helps it even more.

I actually have been in the process of doing this for my new USA WBC hat as well... I used the above process with running it through hot water and taking a shower with it on as well.

You can also heat up the crown with a hair dryer and then put it on your head and press down to mold it a bit to your head as well...

I've had a good ammount of success so far, but its always an ongoing process with hats, especially if you REALLY want it broken in.... so you are going to need to repeat the steps over and over every so often... wear it a lot, and keep getting it broken in.... I like to wear mine while I run as well.. (usually after I've soaked it through water or maybe using the hairdryer tactic)

I may post a picture of mine in its current state if I remember to... I only got it about a month ago but the change is already drastic.

USMNT-1.png

I actually have been in the process of doing this for my new USA WBC hat as well... I used the above process with running it through hot water and taking a shower with it on as well.

You can also heat up the crown with a hair dryer and then put it on your head and press down to mold it a bit to your head as well...

I've had a good ammount of success so far, but its always an ongoing process with hats, especially if you REALLY want it broken in.... so you are going to need to repeat the steps over and over every so often... wear it a lot, and keep getting it broken in.... I like to wear mine while I run as well.. (usually after I've soaked it through water or maybe using the hairdryer tactic)

I may post a picture of mine in its current state if I remember to... I only got it about a month ago but the change is already drastic.

This is the method I use with my hats. The hair dryer is very helpful to mold the crown the way you like it.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I probably should of took some before pictures, but here is my hat after about a month of wear + hairdryer/running through hot water technique:

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

USMNT-1.png

Buy low crown!

Absolutely agree. I bought a regular White Sox 59Fifty at Lids before the Sox came to St. Louis for a series this year, and really wish I woulda had the forethought to find and buy a low crown.

However, I did have some success "destructuring" the regular 59Fifty using the following method for anybody that craes.

Step 1: Place hat on head.

Step 2: Soak a washcloth with hot water.

Step 3: Run the washcloth over the left and right seams of the front panel, all the way back to the top of the crown. Be careful to avoid the embroidered logo.

Step 4: Press the whole front panel down to your head, as tight as you can.

Step 5: Repeat a whole bunch over the course of a few days.*

*NOTE: If I'm wearing my Sox hat, I'll also wet it every time I use the washroom. After washing my hands, instead of drying them with paper towels or whatnot, I'll just rub the seams of the hat. It's a quick "touch up" that seems to help out a bit.

Archived