2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team name, logo and merchandise is going to be released to the public November 14.

I work in the media in Scranton currently. I'd say there is about a 75 percent chance the name is gonna be Trolley Frogs. I would be pretty shocked if its anything but at this point.

Texas.gif

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SWBRailriders.com goes to a generic SWB Yankees page hosted by MiLB. SWBtrolleyfrogs.com goes to a godaddy page, so does SWBblast.com. Is this a sign?

Great catch. That pretty much seals the name deal.

It wouldn't shock me if RailRiders was ultimately chosen. In the wake of Black Diamond Bears, Blast, Fireflies, Porcupines, RailRiders, and Trolley Frogs being announced as the six finalists in the "Name The Team" contest, the only two candidate identities that showed up in the USPTO trademark database as having been registered by the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees were Porcupines and RailRiders.

ummm.. that's awful

I'm not from the area, what's the connection to Scranton-WB?

Steamtown Natl. Historic Site is in Scranton, a pretty famous railroad museum. The area also has a history with trolleys. As a rail buff, baseball fan, and someone with connections to the SWB area, I love the nickname, can't say the same for the logos. I would rather see a steam locomotive than a porcupine

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

While I don't mind the RailRiders name, I have to say that this rebrand strikes me as being another recent miss by Brandiose (formerly Plan B. Branding).

Clearly, based upon some of their past work (the Asheville Tourists, Clearwater Threshers, Lakeland Flying Tigers, and Myrtle Beach Pelicans leap to mind), Casey and Jason are talented guys. That said, as of late they've shown a propensity for throwing "eveything but the kitchen sink" into their logo packages. Rather than paring a branding package down to its simple, less-is-more essentials, they seem hellbent on marrying disparate themes and elements together... with the result being unwieldy, overdone clunkers.

Case in point: the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. Okay, the RailRiders and Porcupines names both received a lot of support in the team's recent "Name The Team" contest. I can understand the desire to somehow try to reflect that in the rebrand. That said, sometimes a losing idea/identity just has to be consigned to the ashcan. By trying to marry a pair of disparate elements in this logo package - the region's rich rail heritage (particularly, the electrified rail system on which the nation's first trolley system ran) AND a porcupine - Brandiose failed to give either element the focus it deserved. The rails are so subdued in the logo as to almost be an afterthought. This being the case, they're easy to overlook, which throws the focus for a team named the RailRiders onto a porcupine. "Huh?" those who aren't aware that Porcupines was a possible team name will ask. Or, for those who do see the tracks immediately, the question might be, "Why is there a porcupine running down those tracks?"

If Casey, Jason and/or the client felt that it was absolutely necessary to marry the trolley-rail and porcupine themes, they'd have been better served to use one of the alternate logos from this package - a porcupine garbed as a train/trolley conductor - as the primary mark. Otherwise, they should have simply chosen either the RailRiders name or the Porcupines sobriquet and illustrated said brand accordingly.

Similarly, Brandiose's recent identity package for they Lexington Legends was stuffed to bursting with ideas the guys seemingly just couldn't bear to part with. An old-time ballplayer sporting a moustache that is practically a character unto itself shares space with a horseshoe AND the abbreviated placename "LEX" AND a stylized "L" depicted as a paddock fence. Simply because you CAN fit the multiple elements into the logo doesn't mean you SHOULD put them in the logo.

Bottom line? Less is often more when it comes to creating a successful identity package. Brandiose seems to have gotten away from that recently... and, to this observer, it is having a detrimental effect on their output.

The Renegades set is such a horrible horrible downgrade.

- The new "head" logo isn't clean, the highlights are all wrong, it's sloppy and thrown together.

- What's with the bright "RENEGADE" script, and then the "S" in the racoon detail?

- The only bright spot in this reveal is the fact they decided to keep the "HV" logo, even though it's just thrown on the Alt and BP caps.

I do like the new color scheme though...

Archived