2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

The Hillsboro Hops logo includes an animated hop plant donning a baseball cap with the letter “H”.

I'm not in the design industry like some people here are. Has animated become synonymous with illustrated?

I think it's animated as in a "brought to life" rather than "moving pictures."

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really should be a Brewers affiliate.

This team used to be the Yakima Bears, and there was a while when the Portland suburb of Milwaukie was in the running to land the franchise. My co-workers and hope were hoping that would come together so they could name the team the Milwaukie Micro-brewers.

Before that, the team was slated to move to Vancouver, Wash. -- Portland's neighbor to the north. Being in the same league as the Vancouver (B.C.) Canadiens, my hope was that it would become the Vancouver Americans.

Ha. Looks like Jered Weaver.

Seriously though, this is one solid identity. I love minor league cartoony logos, and this one certainly doesn't disappoint. If they make a cap with the mascot on it, I might have to pick it up.

Considering how many displaced Wisconsinites live in Oregon, I agree. I don't think the Brewers even have a short-season affiliate.

The Hops are the Diamondbacks affiliate, while the Brewers have an affiliate called the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

I know it's never going to happen, but I would really like to see them swap names..."Portland Timber Rattlers" and "Appleton Hops" sound good too.

bYhYmxh.png

The NWL is short season, and MWL is full season, so the Hops could theoretically be a MIL affiliate in the future.

Cool name and logo.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The NWL is short season, and MWL is full season, so the Hops could theoretically be a MIL affiliate in the future.

Cool name and logo.

This. The Brewers are one of only 8 clubs who don't have an affiliate at the short season level and Metro Portland is full of displaced Wisconsinites who'd probably love a chance to tailgate like they did back home and see some Brew Crew prospects.

Considering how many displaced Wisconsinites live in Oregon, I agree. I don't think the Brewers even have a short-season affiliate.

I used to live in Pioneer League territory, which I thought was Short-A, but I guess it's Rookie (probably not too much of a difference in quality). The Brewers do have a Pioneer League affiliate in Helena, Montana.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Why are there so many cheeseheads in Oregon? Are they there for the beer?

I've lived here for four years and this is the first I'm hearing of this influx of Wisconsinites. I'm from Minnesota originally and everywhere I go I seem to run into a disproportionate # of people from my home state. But I've never thought that to mean there are a lot of Minnesotans here. I'm just paying attention to them more.

I'll chime in... As a native Oregonian (yes, we still exist!) I absolutely love this name. It's quirky without being far-fetched, the logo is merchandise-friendly, and I hope the uniforms show some classy elements.

I will say, it remains to be seen how well supported this team will be. Drawing from Portland proper is going to be tough. People are already complaining about the "drive" from Portland to Hillsboro, which is a stupid argument. However, Hilsboro is out there a ways off the I-5 corridor, so we shall see. Nice to have another Oregon team in the NWL. For what it's worth, this team came from Yakima, WA, and prior to that was the Salem Dodgers franchise nearly 20 years ago.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Archived