2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre know of a regional name or non offensive nickname for the area ? (anything to shorten the city part of the team name down).

example - I live in Thunder Bay which used to be the towns of Fort William & Port Arthur but often one of the other names that was voted on for the city name 'Lakehead' is often used.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Anyone is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre know of a regional name or non offensive nickname for the area ? (anything to shorten the city part of the team name down).

example - I live in Thunder Bay which used to be the towns of Fort William & Port Arthur but often one of the other names that was voted on for the city name 'Lakehead' is often used.

The most common name used to define the area here is Northeast PA or NEPA for short. Scranton is referred to as Electric City and Wilkes Barre is Diamond City.

Texas.gif

I like the name Porcupines first, RailRiders second.

Fireflies sounds like a nickname that would be better suited on my ten year old daughter's soccer team, Black Diamond Bears is too wordy, Trolley Frogs is passable but I'm not really feeling it.. Blast is a carbon copy name ripped off from an Andrew Haines league or the ABA.

Texas.gif

The hell's a "trolley frog," and why would the Yankees insist upon a trolley name when that one other New York team had a name derived from trolleys, or rather the dodging thereof?

Even though I'd voted for Papermakers in the earlier round, I picked Fireflies this time around (as my first, second, AND third choices)...because I know they'll HAVE to play this on a regular basis:

a song that sucks, omitted

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY

OH WAIT THERE IS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSY4NYkySM

Why do we still live here in this repulsive town?

All our friends are in New York

mind

blown

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The hell's a "trolley frog," and why would the Yankees insist upon a trolley name when that one other New York team had a name derived from trolleys, or rather the dodging thereof?

A trolley frog is a part of the wiring and trolley that helps in movement, etc. Here's a picture.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2548/3801432301_4594d23bf8_z.jpg

The name for trolley is being considered because Scranton was home of the nation's first electrified trolley system.

Texas.gif

Games between the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Trolley Frogs and Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs are going to be the wordiest thing in interior Pennsylvania since the Freeh Report.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my opinion the team is trying way too hard to come up with a clever name. Minor League Baseball is supposed to be fun, but when you come up with a name like Trolley Frogs or Black Diamond Bears, you might have gone too far. Trolleys on its own would be so much better, and could lend itself to a good identity. I think that Porcupines or Fireflies are the best choices.

spacer.png

Games between the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Trolley Frogs and Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs are going to be the wordiest thing in interior Pennsylvania since the Freeh Report.

Scranton Wilkes Barre Black Diamond Bears vs. Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs will be a wordy mouthful for any commentator.

Texas.gif

• 2 weeks later...

WNEP.com held a poll asking which name the fans liked best. RailRiders and Black Diamond Bears were most popular. Last night, on their FB page, they held a similar poll and Black Diamond Bears won convincingly. From what I hear however the organization prefers Trolley Frogs most of the finalists.

Texas.gif

Any updates? The team was supposed to give a list of finalists to vote on, with voting ending July 30 but I'm seeing nothing on the team website.

Any updates? The team was supposed to give a list of finalists to vote on, with voting ending July 30 but I'm seeing nothing on the team website.

I'm gonna go get the papers... get the papers...

Well played.

On topic: Railriders was definitely the best name out of the bunch. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamond Bears? Longest name ever?

• 1 month later...

Introducing the Hillsboro Hops, the new short-season Single-A affiliate of the Diamondbacks in suburban Portland.

I like beer, I like baseball, so this works for me. The team will play just a mile or two from my house, which also makes it convenient.

QPWdbpCG.jpg

From the press release:

Hillsboro, OR (October 16, 2012) – Short Season, LLC announced today that it has selected the name Hillsboro “Hops” for its Single-A baseball team. The Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate begins play in a new state-of-the-art stadium in Hillsboro in 2013 and will play 38 home games from mid-June to early September.

“The name ‘Hops’ recognizes Hillsboro’s proud agricultural heritage and the fact that Oregon is the second largest hop producing state in the United States,” said K.L. Wombacher, General Manager of the Hillsboro Hops. ‘’Hops is also a term used regularly in baseball – short hop, bad hop, crow hop. We feel ‘Hops’ encompasses several different components we wanted to include in our team name.”

After reviewing team name suggestions submitted by fans, Short Season LLC, the owners of the Single-A Hillsboro franchise, decided on a name that had not been used previously by a pro or college sports team.

The Hillsboro Hops logo includes an animated hop plant donning a baseball cap with the letter “H”. The primary team colors will be navy blue, light blue and green.

The team will unveil its uniforms and baseball caps in November and Hillsboro Hops merchandise will be available immediately following the unveiling.

Really should be a Brewers affiliate.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Hillsboro Hops logo includes an animated hop plant donning a baseball cap with the letter “H”.

I'm not in the design industry like some people here are. Has animated become synonymous with illustrated?

Archived