2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

With the exception of the recolored "HV-Tail" mark, the Renegades' new logo package is ABYSMAL.

Elsewhere in minor-pro baseball, the Trois-Rivières Aigles of the independent Can-Am League have unveiled their identity package.

troisrivieresprimary.jpg

The team's logos were created by graphic design firm Agence Absolu of Trois-Rivières.

I like it. That eagle head puts many other bird logos (major and minor league) to shame.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That black "raccoon head" hat from the Renegades is pretty much a direct rip of the idea behind the Mahoning Valley Scrappers' home cap.

Which itself was a direct rip of the Lake Elsinore Storm caps:

64-03543-Y.jpg

That was the best-selling cap in minor league baseball for about a decade before the Scrappers jumped on the bandwagon.

I was excited for the HV Renegades change of colors, but after seeing the hats, I'm not sure if I'll be an investor. I like to buy the teams of the Rays or Pirates (since I like them and a former player I coached is at Durham for the Rays and was a Buscuit and Renegade) and it's cool to get "other" colors (since almost all Pirate affiliates are black/yellow). Geez. The Renegades home cap will probably be mistaken for some Carolina Panther prototype. The Away cap is a nice color, but the wordmark? I think wordmarks are reserved for "fan" hats and not on-field hats. I need the letter, mascot, or combo for a baseball hat. The "s" in renegades is a different color because of the tail and it looks like "renegade" The alternate hat looks like some kind of bastardization of a Blue Jay/Oriole hat. I guess the white panel is the "cool" thing. With that being said (I do like the color)....which hat to buy? :oops:

KISSwall09.jpg

Not bad, that's the first Lost-Co Op typeset that i've seen featured in a Sports Logo. I've seen many LCO types in general design, but this is the first time i've seen one used in a team logo.

Well, there is this, which uses two of them:

Stars-logo-new.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That black "raccoon head" hat from the Renegades is pretty much a direct rip of the idea behind the Mahoning Valley Scrappers' home cap.

Which itself was a direct rip of the Lake Elsinore Storm caps:

64-03543-Y.jpg

That was the best-selling cap in minor league baseball for about a decade before the Scrappers jumped on the bandwagon.

The Quad Cities River Bandits have had a version as well, though not one that was used on the field. But yes, it all started with the Storm.

The Stockton Ports (Single-A, Oakland A's) unveiled their new Friday set

Cheap plug for my blog that details some of it: http://butattheendoftheday.com/2012/11/16/stockton-ports-unveil-new-kick-asparagus-friday-uniform-set/

532301_442755335759498_528165753_n.jpg

Hurm.

ports1.jpg

Too much going on there. Asparagus mascot, Popeye, nautical implements, baseball equipment. Popeye doesn't have one tattoo, he has four.

Any couple of those would work, but the whole thing is too cluttered.

Too much going on there. Asparagus mascot, Popeye, nautical implements, baseball equipment. Popeye doesn't have one tattoo, he has four.

I find it particularly irksome that this identity package features an asparagus spear as both an inanimate implement to be wielded as a bat/club by the sailor and as an anthropomorphic being wielding a conventional bat of its own.

Each and every element of this identity, taken on its own, is wonderfully rendered. One or two of the marks, in concert, would make for a terrific identity package. That said, as Gothamite opines, taken as a whole, all of the marks become an overwhelmingly cluttered mish-mosh. I wish I could report otherwise, but this is another example of the recent "more is less" aesthetic coming out of Brandiose.

Pare it down, guys. Pare it down.

Cheap plug for my blog that details some of it: http://butattheendof...ay-uniform-set/

Hurm.

ports1.jpg

What's really irksome is that they traded in their previous pretty nice identity for this mess of a new one.

Stockton_Ports_cap.PNG

This really has been quite an awful week or two in terms of minor league rebrands.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Cheap plug for my blog that details some of it: http://butattheendof...ay-uniform-set/

Hurm.

ports1.jpg

What's really irksome is that they traded in their previous pretty nice identity for this mess of a new one.

Stockton_Ports_cap.PNG

From what I understand, it's just a Friday alternate. Their current set will still be in use.

Go A's!

This really has been quite an awful week or two in terms of minor league rebrands.

Kinda rare that you see a rebranded logo get based on an existing mascot

ostrich-hot-dog-guy-e1280882324232.jpg?w=420

So they based their entire rebrand off of some dork in a terrible Halloween costume?

Archived