Best Stanley Cup Finals?

NJTank

Is this the best Stanley Cup Finals you ever seen.  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Eh, I don't know if this is "the best." It's hard to judge, of course, given my relatively lack of experience--I'm only 28, and the NHL playoff finals have been the Cup Finals for seventy-some years. This was certainly one of the best Game 7s in playoff history, but again, I don't have a great historical vantage point for it.

The 2001 Colorado/New Jersey series would certianly rival this one, for starters.

An interesting question to ask.. in order to be considered "great," does a Cup Final series need to have gone seven games?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Good Game 7, but the '94 Cup final (N.Y. Rangers vs. Vancouver) was miles better. The Guarantee before Game 6, the Blueshirts ending a 54-year Cup drought (I refuse to call it a curse); that was a series.

Game 7 of this series was the only game I watched beginning-to-end, and that was because the Red Sox weren't playing. Otherwise I'd have passed it completely, Game 7 or not.

Seems to me there just wasn't any juice for this series. I'd be interested to see what the ratings were for tonight. I'd bet they won't wow anybody.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

1994 stands out for me, not just because I'm a Rangers fan (I actually hated them back then for reasons I don't quite remember). All the stuff with Messier's guarantee and the long-ass Cup drought, plus the Knicks also making their finals, all while baseball was on the verge of a strike (and the Yankees were on the verge of a dynasty). It was the highlight of a crazy sports time in New York City...

Of course, I was 9 years old at the time and I still think the word revolves around New York City.

Rangers-Canucks

Wings-Devils (for the sheer suprise of it)

Flyers-Canadiens

Devils-Avs

Flames-Canadiens '89

Bruins-Blues

there are plenty of other great series...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Good Game 7, but the '94 Cup final (N.Y. Rangers vs. Vancouver) was miles better. The Guarantee before Game 6, the Blueshirts ending a 54-year Cup drought (I refuse to call it a curse); that was a series.

Game 7 of this series was the only game I watched beginning-to-end, and that was because the Red Sox weren't playing. Otherwise I'd have passed it completely, Game 7 or not.

Seems to me there just wasn't any juice for this series. I'd be interested to see what the ratings were for tonight. I'd bet they won't wow anybody.

Get ready for another 54 years drought...

I do believe this was one of the best I've seen in a long time, because of the style of play and the balance in talent. No one could have predicted the outcome.

Bottom line is, I'm happy for Tampa, as much as I wanted Stanley to come back home...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

No, but it's in the top 5...of course a Flames win may have elevated it to #1...

For the record the best one I've seen 1971 Habs over the Hawks in 7--(WOW am I dating myself--but I know some of you are older--remember in Canda we start hockey early)

Others would be 1989 (not just because the Flames won--it was close and exciting)

and Islanders/Flyers in 1980...

I'd have to go back & review the finals to actually do a top 5...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This was the best series since 1994.

think for pure enjoyment, game 6 last year was great primarly because of the fluke goal Brodeur let in. I still can't figure out how he possibly let that in.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm pretty sure it didn't go to seven games, but 1999 Stars-Sabres was pretty good. Sure, my team won, but it was most memorable for me. Series winning goal in OT by Brett Hull. Hockey at it's finest.

hullscoreswinner1.jpg

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Here's the question i have...

How can it possibly be the best Stanley Cup Finals when there was NEVER even a lead change?

I thought it was kind of easy to predict once you got down to game 5, 6, and 7 that whoever scored the first goal was going to win. However, the whole Canada vs. America thing was kind of intriguing.

IUe6Hvh.png

The best finals ever? No, entertaining, but not the best.

I agree with a previous post, Dallas over Buffalo was very good, NJ/Colorado was great series (despite my Devils losing), even last years Duck/Devils was a good series.

Just because the series went 7 games did make it a great series, good, I enjoyed watching most of the games.

I read where the TV ratings were very low - probably because the Marquee franchises were not in the finals. I can see a Canadian team making it again next year - a lot of talent up North. :flagcanada:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

this series started out great but became harder to watch, the longer it went on.

the series that stand out is the rangers/canucks series. i really thought vancouver was going to come back and win game 7.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

one of the most amazing playoff runs i have ever seen, and im biased, was the penguins in 2000-01 i think it was. Hedberg was a pickup, and he was simply amazing. The pnguins had to defeat the capitals in what had become a huge playoff rivalry- and i cannot forget the eastern semi's game 7 overtime goal my kasperitis. Then the devils overpowered an exhausted penguins team.

the best playoff series i have ever seen was the isles vs maple leafs in the 01-02 season. However the tampa-philly series ranks up there.

signature.gif

I haven't seen all that much of this years or any other, but I remember the Stars Sabres series as being more exciting! I think a lot depends what happens on were the teams go from here. If either or both of the teams takes this season on it might be seen as a truly great series, but otherwise I am not so sure.

Hmmm thinks, idea for new topic for discussion! I'm off to post a new topic!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived