Falcons nearly a lock for new stadium by 2017

Brave-Bird 08

I've always thought of the Georgia Dome and St. Louis Dome in the same category as New Comiskey Park - built post-cookie cutter era, yet pre-revenue-generating, corporate friendly modern stadium era. They've spent years bringing Comiskey up to standards, and even now (just from what I've read, mostly on here) while considerably improved, it's still behind most of the parks built even shortly after. Also... what dfwable said regarding revenue streams.

Comiskey is a great example of why the Georgia Dome shouldn't be abandoned so quickly. It's not like the dome lacks most of the modern amenities, and the ones it does lack could be added for FAR less money than building a whole new stadium would cost.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what BlueSky said. What's wrong with the 20 year old Georgia Dome?

You just answered your own question.

exactly its only 20. theres many more stadiums older than this

In the NFL? That aren't already scheduled to be replaced, or that teams aren't desperate to be out of? Not many.

I don't like this development, but this is the new reality. Shelf lives are getting shorter and shorter, as new "improvements" are designed that maximize revenues, especially revenues that don't have to be shared.

I blame Jerry Jones. JerryWorld set a baa-a-aaaddd precedent in terms of costs, "glitz, and glamour".

(But then, I don't know near enough about this stuff for my non-educated opinion to matter, either, so y'all just nevermind me.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Insanity...

This would be the first built new in the 90s or later for a major league tenant building to be replaced right?

Amway Arena/Miami Arena opened in 80s.

Key Arena was renovated in 94 but not brand new.

Memphis Pyramid was not built to major league specs.

Our priorities as a society are messed up.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I've always thought of the Georgia Dome and St. Louis Dome in the same category as New Comiskey Park - built post-cookie cutter era, yet pre-revenue-generating, corporate friendly modern stadium era. They've spent years bringing Comiskey up to standards, and even now (just from what I've read, mostly on here) while considerably improved, it's still behind most of the parks built even shortly after. Also... what dfwable said regarding revenue streams.

Comiskey is a great example of why the Georgia Dome shouldn't be abandoned so quickly. It's not like the dome lacks most of the modern amenities, and the ones it does lack could be added for FAR less money than building a whole new stadium would cost.

Not necessarily - especially if they're widening concourses or making major adjustments that would take so long to complete that it might not be ready to go by the next season. Depends on what they feel they need to do. "Adding on" is one thing, converting it into Jerry World East is another.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

what BlueSky said. What's wrong with the 20 year old Georgia Dome?

You just answered your own question.

exactly its only 20. theres many more stadiums older than this

In the NFL? That aren't already scheduled to be replaced, or that teams aren't desperate to be out of? Not many.

I don't like this development, but this is the new reality. Shelf lives are getting shorter and shorter, as new "improvements" are designed that maximize revenues, especially revenues that don't have to be shared.

I love it. Because it won't last long. Atlanta may be willing to dish out to replace a still new stadium, but most cities won't be. Eventually the NFL will reach the end of the gravy train and will have to adapt and stop sucking the public teat.

Not necessarily - especially if they're widening concourses or making major adjustments that would take so long to complete that it might not be ready to go by the next season. Depends on what they feel they need to do. "Adding on" is one thing, converting it into Jerry World East is another.

Why does it have to be ready to go by next season? You can do these things in stages. And as for being Jerry's world east, no stadium needs to be Jerry's World. That place is a monument to an era of excess that is gone.

Domes in general are outdated. The Georgia Dome opened in 1992, St. Louis was opened in 1995, the Superdome opened in 1975, and the Metrodome opened in 1982. The dome was made with a controlled environment, but that was when teams had to choose between having outdoor games, with a chance of rain, or an indoor stadium with one climate. (I think)The first retractable stadium opened in 2000(Minute Maid Park, right?). And now that they have the technology to choose the weather they play in. So that's why domes are outdated. That, and they all look like eye sores on the outside.

Good on the Falcons.

You are half right. Comiskey only fell in the "built too soon" category aesthetically. Had it been built two years later, it would be somewhere downtown, with brick and iron, contrived field dimensions, and so forth. Comiskey was incredibly ugly when it first opened, but it had several good aspects. I believe it was the first park to have a wide concourse spanning all the way around the field. It has plenty of luxury boxes. In fact, they put in so many boxes that there were several of them which they didn't even finish furnishing until about five years ago. The Sox didn't miss out on revenue streams from building when they did. They have moved the pressbox to first base and built a high-end club in its spot behind homeplate (which pissed off the media) but I don't know that it was a new idea. Other than adding "more intimate" seating closer to the field down the lines, the only real cash cow the stadium has added was $200 seats behind homeplate in the area there used to be an ugly umpire's tunnel. Revenue was never a problem with that park, just aesthetics.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Shot this after a Saints-Falcons game...in Atlanta. How do they expect to get support for public money going to a new stadium when this is what a "home" game looks like now?

Guess who won? :D

And it's not my pro-Saints bias either...Alge Crumpler said, following a Georgia Dome victory over the Steelers, "Yeah, that was the best road win we've had in a while." :wacko:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

While it's true people say that domes are obsolete, is a retractable roof really necessary in the NFL? How often do Dallas, Indy or Houston even open the damn things? Two, three times a season at best?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I still have no idea why the hell Lucas Oil needed a retractable roof...other than to just have one, I guess. The messed-up part about it is that when it and the windows are open, it casts some ugly-looking shadows on that field.

But hey, they got a Super Bowl out of it and are vehemently trying for another (well, the city is, anyway), so....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

All of the Katrina refugees came her. There are saints fans everywhere. And steelers fans obviously. Doesn't mean Atlanta doesn't have a great fan base

Sorry, I disagree. My first Saints-Falcons game in Atlanta was in 2001 and there were so many Saints fans that the Falcons were booed during introductions in their own stadium. That was 4 years before Katrina.

You know as well as I do that the Braves have trouble selling out playoff games.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Ah, I didn't even think of Toronto.

That one is outdated too.

Have you ever been to the SkyDome/Rogers Centre?

I'm not trying to be snippy, I'm legitimately asking. Granted I haven't been there in years, but from what I remember it still holds up.

Shot this after a Saints-Falcons game...in Atlanta. How do they expect to get support for public money going to a new stadium when this is what a "home" game looks like now?

Guess who won? :D

And it's not my pro-Saints bias either...Alge Crumpler said, following a Georgia Dome victory over the Steelers, "Yeah, that was the best road win we've had in a while." :wacko:

As long as the tickets are sold, it's money. Who cares what team the fans cheer for.

I still have no idea why the hell Lucas Oil needed a retractable roof...other than to just have one, I guess. The messed-up part about it is that when it and the windows are open, it casts some ugly-looking shadows on that field.

But hey, they got a Super Bowl out of it and are vehemently trying for another (well, the city is, anyway), so....

I still have no idea how this city voted for tax raises for a retractable roof, doesn't complain about the fact that the Colts haven't even opened it 10 times, and yet still won't even put public transportation improvements on the ballot because we can't raise taxes.

/At least this year and last the Colts would open the roof. When Peyton was still here, there'd be 80 degree sunny days the roof would stay closed because it was "too hot" or 65 degree days when it was "too cold." Though if Luck's the real deal, it won't take long for the Colts to stop opening the roof again to protect the passing game.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived