The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

I certainly hope that, if they do go through with this, that we'll get to see a lot of new uniforms (Ottawa/Chicago/New York are probably going to wear something they already have.

This is actually the NHL's way of weening into something. They noticed the trend of classic and faux-back jerseys in the NHL and by 2017-18 they will play all the games outside, just like the olden days.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So to sum it up, Lowe thinks that because he happened to play on the same team as Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, and Fuhr he is capable of building a winning team. Also, the only people that matter to him are the fans in the building, not the ones that watch on TV and see commercials, or the ones that spend money on merchandise. And on top of that having an 8th seeded team get within one period of the Stanley Cup (7 years ago!) because of a hot goalie and a HOF defenseman, who left the next year because he didn't like the city, means that this is a successful management group. The Oilers need to quit living in the past and bring in some fresh blood.

Overstated fealty to season ticketholders? Employing former players throughout the organization? Sucking hard for seven years in a row? I've seen this somewhere before...

Oh, and Pronger didn't mind Edmonton. He certainly liked it enough to stick his dick in a weather bunny and piss off his wife.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Consider that a 60 game schedule, where each team plays each other team once home and away,

could be scheduled over a period of 24 weeks (perhaps 25 to give a holiday break).

That averages 2.5 games per week per team. It would have three games per team on one weekend,

and two games on the following, repeated 12 times to get to 60.

Scheduling 48 out of 60 games as matinees (Saturday/Sunday) would allow them to be televised in

European markets during dinner hour, with the Friday night games airing on tape delay before the Saturday matinees. If you charged $50,000 in TV rights per game for a 900-game

season (30 teams, 30 home games- like a Centre Ice package for Europe), you'd be able to yank $45 million each from 16 European markets.

Even the Coyotes, who lost upwards of $20 million last season, would end up in the black with that extra

revenue. I don't understand why the NHL has not tried this.

Oh, and about the Winter Classic thing.

I think ONE outdoor game for every team would not ruin it.

If the team plays 29 home games in their regular arena, and the final one at an outdoor venue,

it would be like an NHL "bowl week".

As an example of why I think this would work, consider the CFL.

For a number of years, the Montreal Alouettes have been playing their playoff games at Olympic Stadium,

even though their regular season venue is at McGill University.

I think that if the NHL did it that way, THAT would be a good plan.

I don't understand why the NHL has not tried this.

Because team owners and arena operators don't like to nuke 25% of their schedule?

Or 67% of all inter-divisional and rivalry games?

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Wait, why the F is the Blackhawks game March 1st? Do they realize that it's just as likely to be freezing as it is to be 55 and sunny?

I'm more concerned about 42° and pouring goddamn buckets.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wait, why the F is the Blackhawks game March 1st? Do they realize that it's just as likely to be freezing as it is to be 55 and sunny?

I'm more concerned about 42° and pouring goddamn buckets.

Yeah, the Vegas game has basically shown temperature to be irrelevant. Although, strong sun might force a game to nighttime. Rain would make the ice absolutely miserable, no matter what temperature or time it is.

Felt like mentioning this here too:

The Ducks only have two home games left, tonight, and April 27 against Phoenix. They will be wearing their thirds on the 27th, and probably in the playoffs, and if the rumors are true, the thirds (or a new jersey) will become the new primary home uniforms. Considering that, tonight might be the final time the Ducks ever wear the black wordmark jerseys.

So, the Leafs only need a win to secure a playoff spot for the first time in 9 years. All it took was the firing of their coach, GM, and a lockout shortened season!

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

So here's what I've figured out about these six outdoor games from this CCSLC board:

-Everyone is griping about the multiple games because it dilutes the one saving grace the NHL has made in the post-2005 lockout era. The novelty of the single outdoor game will be torpedoed if these games are approved.

-Most people hate the idea of such game being played in SoCal. Some cite the ice melting or other playing field issues. Some cite the weather. Others have doubts of a sellout of Kings and Ducks fans at Dodger Stadium. And some question the league for failing to market the whole California state (Sharks), opting to market the Greater Los Angeles area only.

-There's not much opposition of Yankee Stadium getting two outdoor games. How is this fair to people who call Citi Field their prime baseball stadium in New York City? At the end of the day, it's all about marketing, because Rangers vs. Devils/Islanders sells better at the Bronx than at a stadium whose naming holder participated in the subprime mess.

-There's gripe about a game at Soldier Field in March.

-There's gripe about not scheduling these games together in one Saturday or one weekend package. They're all spread out for the better part of two months.

-There is dead silence about a Canucks game at BC Place (home of the MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps).

Why wouldn't both games be at Yankee Stadium?

Sure, it's not the same decrepit dilapidated hole that the old Yankee Stadium was, but the old Yankee Stadium had a whole lot more history associated with it than Citi Field/Shea Stadium have had. Those stadiums are notable for being the home of the usually-poor Mets, and the poor New York Jets (aside from the fluke Super Bowl run in '68) at Shea.

I don't like two games in New York so much (though it's obvious the intent), but any Winter Classic's in New York will be at Yankee Stadium. Always and forever.

spacer.png

I'd be lying if I said I'm not pumped about the Isles playing an outdoor game, but I think they could've gotten away with just Devils-Rangers at Yankee Stadium next year then have Islanders-Rangers the year the Isles move to Brooklyn at Citi Field if we're going to do this multiple outdoor game deal

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

-There is dead silence about a Canucks game at BC Place (home of the MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps).

There's not much to say here really, the BC Place game is basically an indoor game with the possibility of opening the sun roof. That, and it's so close to Rogers Arena that the zamboni could easily be driven out of one stadium and around the corner to the other one. The thing will sell out easily and make a boatload of money.

Archived