The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

No, this pretty much sucks. The 20th team out of 30 should not play a part in determining a champion. It's bad enough already that awful teams are allowed to masquerade as contenders for 8th place with fake records. More than the other three, so much of this league is just a big lie to sell more tickets.

I don't understand why they're so set on this four-conference thing when they could just go 8-7-8-7 with four divisions and keep the 8/15 playoff draws. Locally, killing the Chicago-Detroit and Chicago-Vancouver rivalries sucks. The problem with this whole fixation on time zones and start times is that it gives the appearance of a very tribal league. We have that dynamic bad enough as it is between Real Hockey Markets and The Sunbelt, which just fosters tons of bad feelings, and not the good kinds like rivalries do, just bitterness and bad thoughts. Now you basically have two Actual NHLs that play among themselves, and then two other factions of everyone else, and every now and then they meet. That's fine for the AHL. That's advisable for the WHL/OHL/QMJHL. It doesn't look good for the NHL. Part of having this vaunted coast-to-coast footprint that Bettman is so obsessed with is that the teams from one coast are in the business of playing against teams from the other coast, and points in between.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rivalries are fluid things. What Blackhawks-Canucks rivalry was there 5 years ago? You'll have new opponents in the playoffs, and new rivalries will develop.There's nothing irreplaceable that's being changed. I don't see anything inherently offensive about grouping teams together based on location.

And everyone thinks they're the Red Wings' rival. No matter where you put them some fanbase will complain about not getting to face them.

Rivalries are fluid things. What Blackhawks-Canucks rivalry was there 5 years ago? You'll have new opponents in the playoffs, and new rivalries will develop.There's nothing irreplaceable that's being changed. I don't see anything inherently offensive about grouping teams together based on location.

And everyone thinks they're the Red Wings' rival. No matter where you put them some fanbase will complain about not getting to face them.

I think you could make a pretty good case that the Blackhawks-Red Wings and Blues-Red Wings rivalry is important enough to keep.alive.

And yeah, the time zone obsession of the last year or two throughout sports is kind of odd. If the game is that important to you and you have that tight a work schedule, just Tivo the game and go on a self-imposed information blockade for the next day.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Detroit is closer to Chicago and St. Louis than it is to Boston and Montreal, both in distance and culture. Oh, and Fort Lauderdale, lol. I'm sorry that we can't teleport.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whatever. I have a suspicion that Detroit being in "Division 2" of the realignment idea is just a place-holder for Quebec City.

and since when does cultural equivalency matter in divisional alignment? Columbus is closer to Pittsburgh than it is Nashville, both in distance and culture, and they're not even in the same conference.

and none of this will matter when we finally get our tubes and high speed train systems. Reel-line-mint discussions will become nostalgic memories of the past.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So we apparently have named the divisions as well. In before "LOL Bettman ripped off the old NBA division names, clearly he's a David Stern plant"

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Devils

Penguins

Flyers

Rangers

Islanders

Capitals

Blue Jackets

Hurricanes

Central Division (AKA OITGDNHL Division)

Bruins (Central to....well damn if I know)

Sabres

Canadiens

Senators

Maple Leafs

Red Wings

Panthers (Archimedes laughing clip)

Lightning

Western Conference

Midwest Division

Blackhawks

Blues

Wild

Predators

Stars

Jets

Avalanche

Pacific Division

Nordiques

Ducks

Kings

Sharks

Oilers

Canucks

Flames

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So we apparently have named the divisions as well. In before "LOL Bettman ripped off the old NBA division names, clearly he's a David Stern plant"

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Devils

Penguins

Flyers

Rangers

Islanders

Capitals

Blue Jackets

Hurricanes

Sabres

Canadiens

Senators

Maple Leafs

Red Wings

Lightning

Western Conference

Midwest Division

Blackhawks

Blues

Wild

Predators

Stars

Jets

Avalanche

Pacific Division

Nordiques

Ducks

Kings

Sharks

Oilers

Canucks

Flames

Nordiques in the Pacific Division? This cannot be!

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Devils

Penguins

Flyers

Rangers

Islanders

Capitals

Blue Jackets

Hurricanes

Sabres

Canadiens

Senators

Maple Leafs

Red Wings

Lightning

Western Conference

Midwest Division

Blackhawks

Blues

Wild

Predators

Stars

Jets

Avalanche

Pacific Division

Nordiques

Ducks

Kings

Sharks

Oilers

Canucks

Flames

Nordiques in the Pacific Division? This cannot be!

Remember. This is the same NHL which can't decide to put the Wings in the East or West. The same NHL who has issues with the new Jets. The same NHL who had the Maple Leafs in the West for the mid 1990s. The same NHL who are letting the current Coyotes live, which we all despise.

The Nordiques in the Pacific wouldn't surprise me, but would still be laughable.

Rangers just had a 3 on 1 against Winnipeg and they didn't even get a SHOT off. Jeez this team is just horrific offensively right now. It really sucks too because I think the lockout and extended offseason really killed them after last year.

EDIT: Just as I post that, they score. I should complain more often.

Archived