2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

I go hunting for 5 hours and all hell breaks lose, this thread blows up like 7 pages in a 5-hour span. That's comparable to the Big Mac breakdown thread.

Just 2 things:

Tech plays like crap against UVA and wins for the second year in a row, don't really care, it's been a decade since the :censored: ing Wahoos have beat us. Let's just leave it at that.

And Auburn finds a way to top the Georgia game, somebody's been praying in Auburn. Toomer's corner is gonna party like it's 2010. Oh wait...

Also, just to settle the BCS "controversy" and Ohio State wins next week, and Auburn beats Missouri. And FSU beats Duke, the daggum Buckeyes should get it. If you go undefeated in a BCS Conference (American doesn't count) you should get into the national championship over any 1 loss. That's just my opinion. We know Auburn is probably better, but Ohio St deserves it. Also, Ohio State would be 25-0 over the past 2 years and would get snubbed twice in a row (although one was for stupid reasons that were handed down WAAY before the season) Then again, Auburn could deserve it in '04. Where they took out the anger and beat up the Chokies. But Ohio St. should get it, let all hell break loose, thanks Auburn. You just turned a somewhat simple BCS (compared to most) into a complete cluster:censored:,

And also, Bama isn't out yet. FSU, Ohio St. and Auburn could easily lose next week. Same with Oklahoma St. in Bedlam, and Manziel is tied with the Tigers right now. It's not that far-fetched, and it's happened before.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys, seriously who is most likely to lose their conference championship next weekend? Florida State, Ohio State or Auburn?

I'd say Auburn. Ohio State should beat Sparty convincingly and Florida State is going to destroy Duke.

You do realize that Michigan State has one of the top defenses in the nation. Also beat Michigan convincingly while OSU defense almost crapped the bed. Also undefeated Ohio State vs a one loss Sparty, doesn't make me think blowout or a convincing win, it makes me think the Spartans and Buckeyes could have a hell of a game.

I'll be upset if Auburn jumps either Florida State or Ohio State. Unfortunately there's enough SEC bias that I definitely see it happening.

The real SEC bias would be for Alabama to remain in the top-3 after this week.

The nice thing is this is the last season we'll be having this debate.

Yeah, because next year, we'll be having debates as to who gets screwed out of a five-team head for four playoff spots in the CFB Playoff.

We could have a 16 team playoff and we'd still be debating who got screwed. That is unavoidable, chief. Or have you never noticed the "who got screwed" discussions after selection Sunday in College Basketball? :rolleyes:

The level of discussion has gone down in recent years, with the field expanding to 68 and including the "First Four," followed by the "2nd" and "3rd" rounds (stupidest playoff nomenclature in sports).

No, with all the automatic mid-major bids, etc. it really hasn't. But we'll play in your delusional world for a minute. You really think a 16 team football playoff wouldn't have that discussion either? Do you even think about what you post? I only ask because your arguments are so easily dismissed.

Why don't, for starters, we all go back to football, and leave the basketball tangent for March.

OK then, now that we're back to our regularly-scheduled program...I get what you mean. We'll always have fights as to who got screwed by what poll. The BCS was, and will be forever noted as, a PoS program riddled with more computer viruses and errors than God knows how many. There were only two perfect years the BCS got the title game right: in 2002 (Miami and tOSU, Fiesta Bowl) and in 2005 (USC and Texas, Rose Bowl Game). In other years, all hell broke loose over what happened as quickly as over one week of play. This year will be no different. Next year with the playoff will be no different. No matter what the system will be, we'll have our daily discussions of said screw jobs.

It's actually quite enjoyable talking about these situations, and though the system will change, the talks won't. It's actually fun this time of year in college football, and that I admit.

Alabama WILL find a way into the Nat'l title game. They'll probably be #3 when this BSC rankings are unveiled tomorrow. (1-FSU, 2-Auburn), and the chance of Auburn or Florida State losing next week while Alabama kicks back and watches on can only help the Tide.

Auburn might be ranked ahead of Ohio State. There's no chance that Alabama is too.

Voters will jump Auburn over Ohio State because the Tigers got Bama, and again "Who've the Buckeye's played?!?". Plus, the voters won't drop Bama below #3 because today's loss was tight game to a good team, plus they've got their 3 titles in 4 years on their side. (Yes, that matters.) The BCS computers might even things out a little in the Buckeye's favor, but they'll be ranked as the #4 team in the nation tomorrow evening.

Bottom line: SEC rules and SOS kills.

Since they are unbeaten, Ohio State has a much better opportunity to receive 1st place votes; Auburn does not. tOSU had a 160 point lead in the coaches poll over #5 Auburn since Clemson is still at #4 tonight. Clemson@USCeast will mean just as much to the coaches. Their lead by percentage is higher in the Harris poll.

The secret computer rankings may bring up Auburn, but the SOS still continue to be the constant data we all know. For example, in the Billingsly, tOSU was closer in rating to Alabama than Auburn was to tOSU.

Okay guys, seriously who is most likely to lose their conference championship next weekend? Florida State, Ohio State or Auburn?

I'd say Auburn. Ohio State should beat Sparty convincingly and Florida State is going to destroy Duke.

You do realize that Michigan State has one of the top defenses in the nation. Also beat Michigan convincingly while OSU defense almost crapped the bed. Also undefeated Ohio State vs a one loss Sparty, doesn't make me think blowout or a convincing win, it makes me think the Spartans and Buckeyes could have a hell of a game.

Exactly, I mentioned Sparty in the first half of the Iron Bowl as being tough and "sneaky good". They went unranked since they were a .500 team last year and lost Bell as their primary runner.

Florida State shouldn't overlook Duke either. They can't make the mistake Tech did, people are more caught up with the fact of "It's Duke" rather than just realizing they might be really good. Also, they're a much different team from the one that lost to Pitt and Georgia Tech, don't give me that. Trust me, beating VT, Miami, and UNC wouldn't happen if they were a "fluke".

Just on my guess-timation, I don't think Alabama losing to Auburn will help Ohio State. Alabama's not falling past #4, and OSU needs them to.

Even if the voters have OSU at #2 and Auburn at #3, Auburn's computer ratings are gonna shoot up with Alabama finishing 11-1, LSU and Texas A&M both looking to finish 9-3 and will be jumping some teams that lost this weekend (Wisconsin and Fresno State so far), and Auburn getting to play a likely top-10 South Carolina team.

And yeah, Alabama very well could back-door their way into the National Championship Game again. They'll need Ohio State and Auburn to lose, though.

That was a hell of a game. I'm so glad I was watching that live.

Auburn has a loss and they should have three losses. You can't put a team with a loss ahead of an undefeated team from an AQ conference. That's how it's always been in the BCS and you can't change it in the final week.

I don't anticipate a fun day in Indianapolis for Ohio State next Saturday, though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This reminds me of last year when the Cats stunned USC then the next week turned in an absolute dud losing 66-10 to UCLA. Its a complete disgrace when its 4th and 1 and you can't one stinkin yard twice.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Gary Pinkel would get my vote for coach of the year. Out :censored: ing standing. Took a 5-7 team that turned into an SEC laughingstock, and someone who everyone thought would be in the cellar with Kentucky and Tennessee. Instead, took them to 11-1 an SEC East title, while losing a starting QB midway through their toughest stretch of the season. Also, that 11-1 could very easily be 12-0 and in the midst of the national championship race. Of course Cutcliffe will probably get it, but my vote should got to Pinkel. Hell of a coup by him, and good for Missouri.

Gary Pinkel would get my vote for coach of the year. Out :censored: ing standing. Took a 5-7 team that turned into an SEC laughingstock, and someone who everyone thought would be in the cellar with Kentucky and Tennessee. Instead, took them to 11-1 an SEC East title, while losing a starting QB midway through their toughest stretch of the season. Also, that 11-1 could very easily be 12-0 and in the midst of the national championship race. Of course Cutcliffe will probably get it, but my vote should got to Pinkel. Hell of a coup by him, and good for Missouri.

Gus Malzhan took over Auburn whole went winless in the SEC last year in his second year as a head coach in college. The guys at Tulane and Rice, two academic schools dido damn well too.

Malzahn (sp?)

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Archived