2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

Okay guys, seriously who is most likely to lose their conference championship next weekend? Florida State, Ohio State or Auburn?

Ohio State. Michigan State is supposed to have a really good defense. Then Auburn. If FSU loses to Duke, it would be awesome but it ain't happening.

Florida State vs Duke gives me a trap game vibe. For some reason I can picture FSU halfassing it in Charlotte.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are going to be a whole lot of disappointed prognosticators around here. Auburn isn't passing Ohio State. If the poll voters were willing to penalize an undefeated team, Northern Illinois wouldn't be ranked ahead of LSU and Oklahoma and Auburn would have already passed Ohio State.

You know, before all this Auburn talk, I was OK with the Buckeyes not being in the title picture but I'm about over this total lack of respect for the Buckeyes. I don't care if they lose by 50, I want the Buckeyes to make the NCG just because it will piss off so many of you. The whining will be :censored:-ing glorious. And what happens if, God forbid, Ohio State actually wins the NC?

1. Eh, LSU and Oklahoma both have 2 losses. I'd have NIU ahead of them.

2. Sounds a lot like Notre Dame last year.

3. Ohio State should and will be in the National Championship Game presuming they win next week against Michigan State which is far from automatic. Worry about that first. ;)

You honestly think Northern Illinois is better than LSU or Oklahoma? Wow. Have you seen Northern Illinois play? They're a very good MAC team. That means they'd be lucky to stay within 30 of LSU.

In a meaningful game (BCS game against a 2-loss team that's checked out doesn't count), I'd expect any team in the LSU/Oklahoma range to beat NIU by at least 20. They're just not that good.

And I really hope Auburn doesn't jump Ohio State and I really like Auburn. I think FSU will win fairly easily if they play tOSU, but keeping an undefeated team from the Big Ten out of it in favor of a 1-loss SEC team just wouldn't be fair.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'll be upset if Auburn jumps either Florida State or Ohio State. Unfortunately there's enough SEC bias that I definitely see it happening.

The real SEC bias would be for Alabama to remain in the top-3 after this week.

The nice thing is this is the last season we'll be having this debate.

Yeah, because next year, we'll be having debates as to who gets screwed out of a five-team head for four playoff spots in the CFB Playoff.

Alabama WILL find a way into the Nat'l title game. They'll probably be #3 when this BSC rankings are unveiled tomorrow. (1-FSU, 2-Auburn), and the chance of Auburn or Florida State losing next week while Alabama kicks back and watches on can only help the Tide.

6uXNWAo.png

Alabama WILL find a way into the Nat'l title game. They'll probably be #3 when this BSC rankings are unveiled tomorrow. (1-FSU, 2-Auburn), and the chance of Auburn or Florida State losing next week while Alabama kicks back and watches on can only help the Tide.

Auburn might be ranked ahead of Ohio State. There's no chance that Alabama is too.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Okay guys, seriously who is most likely to lose their conference championship next weekend? Florida State, Ohio State or Auburn?

I'd say Auburn. Ohio State should beat Sparty convincingly and Florida State is going to destroy Duke.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I'll be upset if Auburn jumps either Florida State or Ohio State. Unfortunately there's enough SEC bias that I definitely see it happening.

Yeah, because next year, we'll be having debates as to who gets screwed out of a five-team head for four playoff spots in the CFB Playoff.

We could have a 16 team playoff and we'd still be debating who got screwed. That is unavoidable, chief. Or have you never noticed the "who got screwed" discussions after selection Sunday in College Basketball? :rolleyes:

There are going to be a whole lot of disappointed prognosticators around here. Auburn isn't passing Ohio State. If the poll voters were willing to penalize an undefeated team, Northern Illinois wouldn't be ranked ahead of LSU and Oklahoma and Auburn would have already passed Ohio State.

You know, before all this Auburn talk, I was OK with the Buckeyes not being in the title picture but I'm about over this total lack of respect for the Buckeyes. I don't care if they lose by 50, I want the Buckeyes to make the NCG just because it will piss off so many of you. The whining will be :censored:-ing glorious. And what happens if, God forbid, Ohio State actually wins the NC?

Here's the problem. Assume everything holds and Mizzou beats Texas A&M, and Clemson beats South Carolina. Ohio State at #2, Auburn #3, Mizzou #4 and Michigan State is in at #10. Going into the week, OSU had a full point on Auburn in the BCS, but I'm going to assume a win over #1 will bring that margin closer with OSU's win over a non-ranked Michigan.

Auburn would then have beaten the #1 and #4 teams in consecutive weeks and OSU would have beaten the #10 team. Are two wins over top 4 teams in consecutive weeks enough to push Auburn over the Buckeyes? Undefeated or not, Auburn would have the more impressive resume. Ohio State would only have three wins over ranked teams (then #23 Wisconsin, @ then #16 Northwestern, who we now see was horribly overestimated, and over #10 Michigan State in the B1G game) and Auburn would have wins over five ranked teams (#24 Ole Miss, @ then #7 Texas A&M, vs then #25 Georgia, and #4 Mizzou in the SEC game. And Auburn's one loss was @ then #6 LSU).

It just depends if the human polls stick to the undefeated rule, and how the ranked wins factor into the computer formulas (which, as we discussed, Greg, make no sense with one having NIU at #3.) Thankfully, we've only got one more week left to sort that all out.

(Plus Greg, if OSU makes the title game, they can't lose to Arizona State in the Rose Bowl! You wouldn't want to miss out on that! ;) )

Fair enough, but if we're going to go by resumes, we have to re-examine the entire top 25. It's gonna be a helluva BAFS this week. I say we skip the NFL and dedicate the entire show to college football.

BB52Big.jpg

We could have a 16 team playoff and we'd still be debating who got screwed. That is unavoidable, chief. Or have you never noticed the "who got screwed" discussions after selection Sunday in College Basketball? :rolleyes:

The level of discussion has gone down in recent years, with the field expanding to 68 and including the "First Four," followed by the "2nd" and "3rd" rounds (stupidest playoff nomenclature in sports).

I'd say Auburn. Ohio State should beat Sparty convincingly and Florida State is going to destroy Duke.

Nice of you wander away from your 1-loss Louisville team whom you were touting most of the season until their 2nd half collapse at home against UCF.

what the hell just happened to my post?

Dammit. Nevermind. The edit function ate it.

---------------

What I was trying to say was about something I got out of Zach's post on the previous page. Zach's a smart fellow and I presume he knows what he's posting, and that all he was really doing was, more-or-less, stating facts. But I couldn't help but be perplexed when I read (paraphrase) "Ohio State beat two ranked teams [Northwestern and Wisky] who aren't as good now as their then-ranking indicates" and then read later "Auburn's only loss came to then-#6 LSU", another team who, clearly, wasn't as good as their ranking indicated (three losses and a death struggle with ARKANSAS give me all I need to believe that).

Either we need to use then-rankings uniform, across the board, or discard then. I'm not talking about that logic in just one post here; there has always been a risk of using then-rankings in a double-edged sword kind of way; using them to build up one team and tear down the other. It can't work both ways.

spacer.png

Nice of you wander away from your 1-loss Louisville team whom you were touting most of the season until their 2nd half collapse at home against UCF.

The issue was that this team should be undefeated because of the schedule and that collapse should have never happened but it did. This team may only have one loss, but they nearly lost to Memphis for crying out loud and this team is not playing as well as they should despite the wins. They would have to face Miami or VT in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

The level of discussion has gone down in recent years, with the field expanding to 68 and including the "First Four," followed by the "2nd" and "3rd" rounds (stupidest playoff nomenclature in sports).

No, with all the automatic mid-major bids, etc. it really hasn't. But we'll play in your delusional world for a minute. You really think a 16 team football playoff wouldn't have that discussion either? Do you even think about what you post? I only ask because your arguments are so easily dismissed.

BB52Big.jpg

Auburn might be ranked ahead of Ohio State. There's no chance that Alabama is too.

Voters will jump Auburn over Ohio State because the Tigers got Bama, and again "Who've the Buckeye's played?!?". Plus, the voters won't drop Bama below #3 because today's loss was tight game to a good team, plus they've got their 3 titles in 4 years on their side. (Yes, that matters.) The BCS computers might even things out a little in the Buckeye's favor, but they'll be ranked as the #4 team in the nation tomorrow evening.

Bottom line: SEC rules and SOS kills.

6uXNWAo.png

Voters will jump Auburn over Ohio State because the Tigers got Bama, and again "Who've the Buckeye's played?!?". Plus, the voters won't drop Bama below #3 because today's loss was tight game to a good team, plus they've got their 3 titles in 4 years on their side. (Yes, that matters.) The BCS computers might even things out a little in the Buckeye's favor, but they'll be ranked as the #4 team in the nation tomorrow evening.

You say that like it's a fact when you're the only one that thinks Ohio State will be lower than Alabama. The Buckeyes are still undefeated and tomorrow they'll either be 2 or 3.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

You say that like it's a fact when you're the only one that thinks Ohio State will be lower than Alabama. The Buckeyes are still undefeated and tomorrow they'll either be 2 or 3.

If the voters are going to put a 1-loss Auburn team over Ohio State, you can bet they'll find a way to put a 1-loss Alabama squad above the Buckeyes, which they will.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived