2013 College Hoops Offseason Thread

Cujo

It seems the old AD (the much-hated Joel Maturi) stuck the U of M with a bunch of contract extensions before getting the boot.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well how many people saw THIS comming?:

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=9114861

Steve Alford to

UCLA??

So much for that new 10 year contract...

Messiah-1.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Steve Alford to UCLA??

This move may come as a shock to some because of the $10M deal he just agreed to (never signed) one day before the Lobos were dumped by Harvard, but this move doesn't surprise me one bit. New Mexico was a stepping stone for Alford from the moment he popped up in Albuquerque after bolting Iowa. The only thing that actually does surprise me is that Alford stayed at UNM much longer than I had originally thought.

But many Lobo fans have to be disappointed by Alfords departure. He really got them to believe he wanted to be a Lobo "for life". He not only led on the fans who bought into this, he played his own son too, who is now stuck playing at UNM (unless of course he transfers and sits out).

6uXNWAo.png

His older son was a walk-on at New Mexico. I'm sure Alford will let him walk on at UCLA if he wants to. He doesn't seem like much if a player. All of New Mexico's players will probably be released from their LOIs since the coach left so he'll be able to sign him if he thinks he's good enough and they have open scholarships.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoOtpDuZwA&sns=em

This, to say the least, is grounds for a firing.

My only question is why did it take so long for somebody to actually say something? Is the entire athletic office and coaching staff filled with a bunch of Mr. Magoo's or something? No doubt Mike Rice should be fired on the spot after watching that but there needs to be some house cleaning beyond Rice as well and I would hope the NCAA throws the book at Rutgers for keeping someone like around for as long as they did.

Also reading now that the AD knew about the situation back in December and decided to let Rice off with a slap on the wrist. If that's true, then he should be gone as well, no questions asked. There is no possible context where a coach behaving like that could be acceptable at any level of play.

The AD's reasoning was that "it was a first-time offense".

Many Rutgers fans are talking about firing Rice more because of his 44-51 record instead of repeated verbal and physical abuse of players - as if winning would justify that sort of action.

The AD's reasoning was that "it was a first-time offense".

Many Rutgers fans are talking about firing Rice more because of his 44-51 record instead of repeated verbal and physical abuse of players - as if winning would justify that sort of action.

If it actually was a first time offense I could see it, but the first offense happened back in 2010 and this only surfaced in December. When you see that you don't say oh well he obviously doesn't understand how important it is to not hit players and he needs to be taught a lesson. You call him in your office, you show him the tapes, ask for resignation and if he fights then you fire him and go to the press with it.

But its like anything else. If you know about it and don't like act on it in that matter, then you turn yourself into an enabler and you have to cover up for it, otherwise you get held accountable as well. And I'm surprised that's what wound up happening. Probably just didn't want to go through the process of hiring another coach mid-season and may have even thought Rice was doing a good job.

If Pernetti isn't given the axe then the NCAA should just come and do everything in their power to annihilate that athletic program for keeping him on.

This, to say the least, is grounds for a firing.

My only question is why did it take so long for somebody to actually say something? Is the entire athletic office and coaching staff filled with a bunch of Mr. Magoo's or something? No doubt Mike Rice should be fired on the spot after watching that but there needs to be some house cleaning beyond Rice as well and I would hope the NCAA throws the book at Rutgers for keeping someone like around for as long as they did.

Also reading now that the AD knew about the situation back in December and decided to let Rice off with a slap on the wrist. If that's true, then he should be gone as well, no questions asked. There is no possible context where a coach behaving like that could be acceptable at any level of play.

1- Society has a very fine line in differntiating between a "whistleblower" and a "snitch". And said line seems to depend on the situation, but in college athletics, you are generally considered a "snitch".

2- What "book" can be thrown at Rutgers for something which is most likely a university personnel issue? And I mean his conduct in general since basketball players are "student-athletes" and are not university employees.

The NCAA Manual has only three points for them to target Rutgers for this issue. They are:

Article 2.2: The Principle of Student-Athlete Well-Being

Article 6.01.1: Instutional Control (the elastic "catch-all" article)

Article 10.1: Unehtical Conduct (If you are not misleading the NCAA, you are not in violation)

Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletic Personnel (but theese rules do not deal with the physical treatment of others)

Heck, in 2011, Iowa had 13 football players hospitalized with rhabdomyolyis, a stress-induced muscle syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney problems following January workouts. The football strength coach was not reprimanded and is still in charge there with no NCAA look-in.

If Pernetti isn't given the axe then the NCAA should just come and do everything in their power to annihilate that athletic program for keeping him on.

*Big Ten says no, on grounds that the NCAA has lost what remaining shreds of credibility it had in the last year.*

This is not a violation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

SI.com had a good write-up on the incident, and said this is terrible for Rutgers sports, especially now that they're preparing for the jump to the Big Ten. Because the AD saw the video and decided to sit on his hands, every school competing against Rutgets for recruits only has to show that video and say "this is the kind of school you'd play for at Rutgers."

There's no safe place anymore for stuff like that. If you're acting like that much of an :censored:, especially in front of that many people, you one day will be recorded doing it. Coaching is hard work, but somehow I don't see Coach K lobbing balls at guys' faces. Quit it with all of that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived