New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

If there was just some consistency in a true fade with less emphasis on the black, it wouldn't be as bad. But looking at all the helmets from camp, it really seems like they are just making it a half and half. I am holding out hope that once rosters are finalized, they'll do a better job on the helmets, but I'm an optimistic fool.

Jaguars-new-helmets.jpg

Go A's!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QB's won't complain about interceptions because of the helmets, cause if they would it already would have been an issue with 2 teams in the same color helmets...

Helmets suck but that just won't happen.

QB's won't complain about interceptions because of the helmets, cause if they would it already would have been an issue with 2 teams in the same color helmets...

I could see it happening with 2 other teams having black helmets, and another 2 having gold, and based on what ever way the player is facing it could be either color, atleast before it was distinct with that teal sparkle

934056_10151491718993863_2002539669_n.jpg

Ugh. As a Jags fan, these helmets embarass me. (granted, all within the context of its just a game/team I have no control over lol)

Caption: Jacksonville Jaguars rookies patiently await the painter to return to finish the other half of their helmets.

Why can't they have a gradual fade instead of the semi hard line transition of paint ?????????

Or better yet, use the helmet ridges as end points. Have black along the entire top panel and gold on the sides. Would be very cool and much better.

Interesting. Made me think of how some police departments use the Charger's body contours as edges in their paintjobs. This agency is here in metro Atlanta. Pretty sharp.

police6.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

the classic helmet looks even worse

http://www.riddell.c...-vsr4-2013.html

That actually looks a million times better than the real helmets. The fade from black to gold is a lot more gradual.

The paint job looks nicer, but I was refering to the look on a classic helmet. the paint job doesn't work well with this style of a any helmet.

Fixed

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

What % of merch sold do you think incorporates a full helmet graphic as opposed to utilizing the primary logo or wordmark? My guess would be in the 20% or less range. I feel like the full helmet graphic is not too common these days other than the 32 team bud light flags that every bar has hanging from their ceilings.

I don't know what percentage has helmets on it. But it's not just the merchandise. It's about the Bud Light flags, other promotional items from sponsors, and also, helmets which all the networks have in their studios. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put lots of money on the Jaguars wearing those helmets for every game this season. I absolutely believe the NFL wouldn't let them change this year, even if they wanted to. Furthermore, I don't see them wanting to change. As I said, these helmets were viewed by a bunch of people from a bunch of different angles. They know how bad these look, and I imagine they believe themselves that the helmets look bad, but they think enough people will think they look cool and edgy. I don't think Khan is going to suddenly decide these are a scourge on the league and I don't think the fans in Jacksonville are going to storm the stadium with torches and demand new helmets.

I think you're correct about them not wanting to change - it's a very special person who can admit a mistake that quickly, especially on a project that they supposedly had such a hand in.

But as far as the NFL allowing them to change, because of the merchandising committments, I'm not sure that's the case. Don't forget that this is the official rendering of the helmet:

8121_jacksonville_jaguars-helmet-2013.gif

They could conceivably switch to a gold version of the previous teal-flake finish, and that graphic would still be a pretty fair representation. The t-shirts and pennants already printed wouldn't be out of date.

What % of merch sold do you think incorporates a full helmet graphic as opposed to utilizing the primary logo or wordmark? My guess would be in the 20% or less range. I feel like the full helmet graphic is not too common these days other than the 32 team bud light flags that every bar has hanging from their ceilings.

I don't know what percentage has helmets on it. But it's not just the merchandise. It's about the Bud Light flags, other promotional items from sponsors, and also, helmets which all the networks have in their studios. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put lots of money on the Jaguars wearing those helmets for every game this season. I absolutely believe the NFL wouldn't let them change this year, even if they wanted to. Furthermore, I don't see them wanting to change. As I said, these helmets were viewed by a bunch of people from a bunch of different angles. They know how bad these look, and I imagine they believe themselves that the helmets look bad, but they think enough people will think they look cool and edgy. I don't think Khan is going to suddenly decide these are a scourge on the league and I don't think the fans in Jacksonville are going to storm the stadium with torches and demand new helmets.

I think you're correct about them not wanting to change - it's a very special person who can admit a mistake that quickly, especially on a project that they supposedly had such a hand in.

But as far as the NFL allowing them to change, because of the merchandising committments, I'm not sure that's the case. Don't forget that this is the official rendering of the helmet:

8121_jacksonville_jaguars-helmet-2013.gif

They could conceivably switch to a gold version of the previous teal-flake finish, and that graphic would still be a pretty fair representation. The t-shirts and pennants already printed wouldn't be out of date.

There are valid points to both sides. Having seen similar events on the inside I could easily see this go both ways. The argument for keeping things as is typically not wanting to admit a mistake or simply being too deep into your go live/launch to make a change for reasons stated above.

On the other hand the opportunity/timing could not be better. The design is so bad and early examples were not uniform management can easily use the "technical limitations" or "quality control issues" and deflect the blame away from them. While eating the costs for early merch development, it probably wouldn't break the bank to just start over. The one last benefit would be to just get it over with now instead of overhauling a primary component of a major redesign in year 2.

Either the cost/benefit analysis has been done or it is in the process but I have to think a discussion has taken place.

Decades from now NFL fans will look back to this particular uniform set as a dark chapter in Jags history. Hopefully by then they'll be sporting something similar to their 90's look.

I can't wait to see these in action. I could use a good chuckle every now and then.

Midway.png

Decades from now NFL fans will look back to this particular uniform set as a dark chapter in Jags history. Hopefully by then they'll be sporting something similar to their 90's look.

I can't wait to see these in action. I could use a good chuckle every now and then.

Nothing could be worse then the 09-12 set they wore. The only thing good about that set was the helmet. I think I can speak for all other Jags fans when I say that. I wish they would have just went with an all black helmet with this new set. Most other Jags fans like the helmet from what I have seen. I doubt they change them anytime soon. I too wonder about the quarterbacks locating the WRs with these helmets. Gabbert has enough trouble as it is.

I could see it happening with 2 other teams having black helmets, and another 2 having gold, and based on what ever way the player is facing it could be either color, atleast before it was distinct with that teal sparkle

Show me the complaints from Bears players when they played the Texans, seahawks, broncos or visa versa. Or dolphins/bills, or cowboys/patriots or (do I need to go on?)

It's clear based on history that helmet color plays no role for the QB finding open receivers so there can be no confusion with this helmet.

Again still stupid, but still no disadvantage.

Show me the complaints from Bears players when they played the Texans, seahawks, broncos or visa versa. Or dolphins/bills, or cowboys/patriots or (do I need to go on?)

It's clear based on history that helmet color plays no role for the QB finding open receivers so there can be no confusion with this helmet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the main reason behind the Princeton helmet that became the legendary Michigan helmet design based on the idea that the coach wanted his QB to recognize his receivers running downfield more easily?

Ever heard of why the Bills switched to red helmets? Quarterback Joe Ferguson was color blind. Most of the teams in the division had white helmets (Pats, Colts, Dolphins), and he struggled greatly to differentiate receivers from defenders. That prompted a switch. So your point is no longer valid.

In case you don't believe me, here's a link.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/23/the-story-behind-the-bills-red-helmets/

spacer.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the main reason behind the Princeton helmet that became the legendary Michigan helmet design based on the idea that the coach wanted his QB to recognize his receivers running downfield more easily?

Back when teams wore only dark uniforms. Plus did it help? Evidence would be sketchy at best considering the way the game was played back then. I mean modern game. Today. Nobody complains about it.

Re Bills: Colorblind is different story, but still thats one example from a different era. Plus, what color do they wear today?

Until I see a number of Jay Cutler quotes blaming interceptions on the Texans helmet color I'm not buying it. And he's had plenty of opportunities to blame it on that.

Ever heard of why the Bills switched to red helmets? Quarterback Joe Ferguson was color blind. Most of the teams in the division had white helmets (Pats, Colts, Dolphins), and he struggled greatly to differentiate receivers from defenders. That prompted a switch. So your point is no longer valid.

In case you don't believe me, here's a link.

http://profootballta...ls-red-helmets/

The Bills did switch to red to help Ferguson find his receivers better. However, he's not color blind.

http://blogs.buffalo...e-debunks-myth/

Archived