2013 NBA Playoffs

JMurr

I would extrapolate much from nearly 30 years of LA Clipper-dom. They have good years every once in a while but then they Clipper it and that's that. Remember how excited we all were during the Sam Cassell run?

Things are a lot different now. Elgin Baylor's long gone. Sterling's handed off pretty much all the decision-making power to his son-in-law, who actually knows what he's doing. One of the Clippers beat reporters was saying on the radio yesterday that the franchise is no longer happy with just making the playoffs and they're willing to go into the luxury tax and pay for a big-name coach.

So no, you can't really extrapolate from past history because there's different people in charge now with different attitudes. Franchises can indeed change for the better - just look at the Mavericks, Buccaneers, Saints, and Rays.

LeBron: Back to back MVPs!

Well-deserved.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would extrapolate much from nearly 30 years of LA Clipper-dom. They have good years every once in a while but then they Clipper it and that's that. Remember how excited we all were during the Sam Cassell run?

Things are a lot different now. Elgin Baylor's long gone. Sterling's handed off pretty much all the decision-making power to his son-in-law, who actually knows what he's doing. One of the Clippers beat reporters was saying on the radio yesterday that the franchise is no longer happy with just making the playoffs and they're willing to go into the luxury tax and pay for a big-name coach.

So no, you can't really extrapolate from past history because there's different people in charge now with different attitudes. Franchises can indeed change for the better - just look at the Mavericks, Buccaneers, Saints, and Rays.

That all sounds good, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard this song and dance from the Clippers before. When Phil Jackson is sitting on the bench, then I'll believe they're serious about building a long-term winner. Until then, it's the team that gets good young talent, some good old talent, and manages to Clipper just enough to not win anything. Hopefully, they're onto something because it'd be good to have another good franchise in the NBA, rather than just Spurs/Lakers/Heat and the flavor-of-the-five-year-period.

EDIT: I should say that I'm a Knicks fan and it's been the same story in New York, but with just a few more extended periods of good basketball. However, it's been 40 years since their last championship, and nearly 20 since their last serious run (the 99 team was super lucky).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Celtics/Knicks game looks like one of those games where its a shame someone has to win.

Both teams are lucky not to be down by 20 points to the other. Defensively they're both solid, but offensively both teams have just been downright putrid.

THE KNICKS FINALLY WIN A PLAYOFF SERIES!!!

This team is the most agravating to root for in the NBA right now.

I can't believe game 1 of Knicks-Pacers is only 2 days away.

fred-heartattack-o.gif

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Memphis shot 20 free throws in the first quarter alone, and the NBA wonders why such a large portion of its fanbase thinks the games are rigged. :rolleyes:

Or maybe the Clippers just played dirty/sloppy ball. Six of one, really...

Wow. The Celtics, trailing 3 games to none to force Game 6, used a 20-0 scoring run to get back into the 4th quarter, but the Knicks were able to hang on for dear life, on route to their first series win since the 2000 playoffs. While I send congratulations to New York on moving on, I just can't give enough appreciation to the Celtics and how much inspired basketball they've played the last 5-6 years or so (this coming from a Lakers fan). Just when they are counted as "too old," they come right back, like the last couple of years, and tease all of us with heart and tenacity. While I commend their stars for at least getting one championship ring out of the way (guess against who), I feel sorry for them for not getting a couple more, because of the effort put into that core of Garnett and Pierce. From a rival's stand point, I cannot fathom either of the two retiring, or Kobe, or Nash, or any of the other players who entered in the late 1990s and became superstars in the early/mid 2000s, or the era I began following the NBA. It'll be a sad day when teams like the Lakers or Celtics are permanently in the body shop for repairs, while the Heat and Thunder can rev their engines and circle around the racetrack as the new NBA it-teams.

And I've noticed this about these playoffs: it has to be the easiest championship for the NBA's best team to acquire in a long time. Injuries to Kobe, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Granger, David Lee, Hinrich, now allegedly Blake Griffin...the window has never been more open for LeBron and his Miami Death Star team to dismantle and execute all the opposition. Only the Spurs have a legit chance of stopping the South Beach Empire from fortifying their riches in another June shower of gold, greed, cigars and an NBA championship.

It's like these playoffs are run in "Hunger Games-style" fashion. And it's ironic because the postseason has become both exciting and boring: exciting for all the close series and down to the wire matches we've seen, and boring because those winners will eventually be beheaded and blasted by Darth James and his Florida Strormtroopers.

Memphis shot 20 free throws in the first quarter alone, and the NBA wonders why such a large portion of its fanbase thinks the games are rigged. :rolleyes:

So the NBA is rigged against the Clippers. The same NBA who shot down the CP3 trade to the Lakers for "basketball reasons." The same NBA which approved a trade to LA's secondary basketball team, and has seen their presence, and team revenue, explode by catering to the Southland's hipsters with their catchphrase "Lob City."

Oh yeah, that's why they're down in the series. Not because of Del Negro's coaching, or Marc and Zach destroying the rebound department, or Griffin not having a heart to play on an ankle injury (per Randolph's comments). But the refs. Good observation.

Or maybe the Clippers just played dirty/sloppy ball. Six of one, really...

I was going to say something similar. Sometimes your favorite team is just outplayed. No amount of conspiracy theory, coach hate, or unbalanced stats will change that. In the NBA, and especially over a seven-game series, the best team generally wins.

Yes, the Kings probably would have beat the Lakers in game six in 2002, they did also blow game 7 at home. Make your shots, get rebounds, and you generally win.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So the NBA is rigged against the Clippers.

Yeah, that's clearly what I meant. :rolleyes:

In fact, I never even said the game was rigged, just pointing out that free throw-fests like that first quarter are the reason why people think the league's rigged. Joey Crawford is undeniably an attention whore, though.

The same NBA who shot down the CP3 trade to the Lakers for "basketball reasons."

Do I really have to explain to you why that had to happen for the millionth time?

Oh yeah, that's why they're down in the series.

Never said it was.

Griffin not having a heart to play on an ankle injury (per Randolph's comments).

He's playing tonight.

Good observation.

Bad reading comprehension.

xLmjWVv.png

I know I should be rooting for the Rockets to put this series 7 games but as a Knicks fan I feel very sympathetic to OKC after what we had to watch.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

In fact, I never even said the game was rigged, just pointing out that free throw-fests like that first quarter are the reason why people think the league's rigged. Joey Crawford is undeniably an attention whore, though.

Free-throw fests don't necessarily put the impression of a rigged game; it could mean both teams bolt to the paint or hand-check more often than others, resulting in whistles blown. It's when there's an enormous FT discrepancy against one team where the whole "NBA is rigged" claims come in, especially if said whistles are called in the 4th quarter of a close game.

I agree, though; Joey Crawford can be a toolbag.

And with these games tonight sets up Game 1s on Sunday on ABC.

Thunder vs Grizzles @ 1:00 PM

Knicks vs Pacers. @ 3:30PM

Free-throw fests don't necessarily put the impression of a rigged game; it could mean both teams bolt to the paint or hand-check more often than others, resulting in whistles blown. It's when there's an enormous FT discrepancy against one team where the whole "NBA is rigged" claims come in, especially if said whistles are called in the 4th quarter of a close game.

He just threw out CP3 and ZBo.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

And with these games tonight sets up Game 1s on Sunday.

Thunder vs Grizzles

Knicks vs Pacers.

I'm at work, why'd he throw out CP3?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

And with these games tonight sets up Game 1s on Sunday.

Thunder vs Grizzles

Knicks vs Pacers.

I'm at work, why'd he throw out CP3?

For stoking Joey Crawford's ego. He got his second T of the night.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

I'm always happy to see Memphis get thrown a bone in life, but it sucks to see the Clippers get bounced this soon, too. Let's see them go deep. It'll be fun.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Crawford is the worst. Definitively my least favorite referee in all sports.

At least Clipper fans can take some solace in that Del Negro will and should be fired. This team should be in the West Finals.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Joey Crawford is a senile, useless piece of trash.

Aside from that, VDN is (rightfully) gone, and DeAndre Jordan, Chauncey Billups, and Caron Butler might as well pack their bags too. Going to be an interesting offseason.

I don't know if there's any Grizzlies fans on here, but if there are, congrats on a good series. You deserved to win and were the better team (as well as the better-coached team). Take down the Thunder for us.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived