NBA C Jason Collins comes out as gay

CS85

I'm tired of all these "activists" acting as if being gay is some form of enlightenment that we all should be striving to achieve. It's not.

I'm not sure anyone, "activist" or otherwise, has ever tried to claim that "being gay is some form of enlightenment that we all should be striving to achieve."

I'm not sure where you got that from.

And most of the time those activists aren't gay, but rather want the attention for "being a good person". It's all about self-righteousness.

http://www.hark.com/clips/gbxnqssmvg-you-think-maybe-youre-assuming-a-little-too-much

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[but would it be a big deal if after they won the championship and players are seen kissing their wives and celebrating with their kids, he kissed his BF or husband? The world would stop. Maybe if more athletes were out, it wouldn't be seen as a big thing.

Already happened, in the Pro Bowlers Association. The commentators announced the other guy as his husband and spouse (used interchangeably).

And we all carried on.

http://deadspin.com/5972613/pro-bowler-wins-tournament-kisses-his-husband-and-its-totally-not-a-big-deal

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

A lot of those actors and musicians entered the entertainment field precisely because they knew it'd be an environment that was more accepting of their sexuality; and many of them led fairly pedestrian lives in small-town America where they couldn't be themselves before "making it" in LA, or New York, or wherever. Excuse the hell out of them for trying to be an example for kids who are going through hell in such environments, and letting those kids know that there's more in this world for them than suicide and repression.

The other thing is that these entertainers don't always make a big announcement. If you want a world where a "grand announcement" is not needed, I am with you. But if you want a world where we never know who is gay, forget it. Just like we find out who Tom Brady is dating, we are going to find out who his gay counterpart is dating. I would argue that we know far too much about celebrities, but that's because we (the general public) seems to thirst for it so people in (for lack of a better term) the media find it. Many gay entertainers are known to be gay not because they "throw it in our faces", but because it just sort of "got out" and is now common knowledge. Male pro team sports is different at this time. Maybe someday it won't be and nobody will have to make a big announcement when they decided to acknowledge who they are. That would be nice. Right now, however, that's not where we are. If some NFL player decides to come out the closet, it's not even possible for him to do so with no fanfare. You can say "who cares" until you are blue in the face, but the fact is, some people do. Further, it is important in sports because of the "macho" side of gay bashing.

If you literally want to live in a world where you never find out who is gay, that's never going to happen and frankly, that's your discomfort that you'll just have to get over or deal with. You've seen athletes' wives get into media if they are fighting a disease, being part of the face of charity, or whatever. They are sharing a bit of who they are...so don't ask certain of them to not do that. Because if people really sharing who they are bothers you, then it's your issue, whether it's bigotry, discomfort, or whatever. Our partners, families, etc. are big parts of who we are. To ask gay people to hide that just for your own comfort is to 1) treat them different and "lesser" and 2) ask them to essentially give the impression that they go to work and then retire to a small square room to sleep in. That'll make 'em really well-liked.

A note on "who cares". It's my observation that most people that say "who cares" are pretending that it does not matter, but are really the ones that are, at best, most uncomfortable. Maybe I'm wrong...just my gut.

I've used up all my "likes" for the day, so allow me to just thank you for delving so far into something I didn't have time to go into when I made my reply.

Ex Packer LeRoy Butler will not be speaking at a church as was planned. Why?

Because he tweeted positively about Jason Collins.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've always liked him. Creator of the Lambeau Leap, you know.

In happier news:

Jason Collins Jersey Sales Spike

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins' jerseys got a boost in online sales after he became the first openly gay athlete on a major U.S. team sport.

Team spokesman Scott Hall told ABC News that 100 percent of custom jerseys ordered from the team's online store bore Collins' name and number, 98, on the back, after Collins revealed his homosexuality in an article published on Sports Illustrated's website on Monday.

Collins began the first-person article, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

While Hall could not reveal how many custom Collins jerseys were sold, he said that the team's general merchandise sales and online traffic spiked following Collins' announcement.

In a statement, the Wizards said they were proud of Collins and "his decision to live his life proudly and openly."

Details sketchy, but still heartening.

Wow. I get criticized for agreeing with everybody.

I said these were my BELIEFS of how things SHOULD BE. I didn't say that's how they actually are at this time.

This thread has gone from "Jason Collins: First Openly Gay Active Major Sports Athlete" to "All-Around Support for Gay Rights" to "If I don't think you don't agree with my thinking 100%, then you're a bigot".

Wow. I get criticized for agreeing with everybody.

I said these were my BELIEFS of how things SHOULD BE. I didn't say that's how they actually are at this time.

Not really. You said......

I'm tired of all these "activists" acting as if being gay is some form of enlightenment that we all should be striving to achieve. It's not.

Which is a ludicrous statement that's just not true. When you start saying stuff like that you no longer get to use "I'm just stating my opinion!" card. That's not an opinion. It's a gross misunderstanding of what people are saying at best and a lie at worst.

Well I happen to disagree with what you believe as the intent or true meaning of my statement. And yes, it is strictly your opinion. I know my beliefs. I've explained them. And just because I didn't use the right words according to everyone here, does not invalidate my opinion or my intentions.

I'm stepping out now because this has clearly become a thread about ridiculing those who may have different beliefs, or apparently even the same beliefs, as you. Seems like if Jason Collins can accept that others are entitled to their opinions, then you guys could as well.

But then what relevance does he have to this thread, huh?

Well I happen to disagree with what you believe as the intent or true meaning of my statement. And yes, it is strictly your opinion. I know my beliefs. I've explained them. And just because I didn't use the right words according to everyone here, does not invalidate my opinion or my intentions.

If you were trying to say something else then you severely mangled whatever your message was. It's not to much to ask that people express themselves clearly.

That implies that "activists" (whoever those are) are trying to convince straight people to be gay by promoting homosexuality as somehow higher then heterosexuality ("form of enlightenment we all should be striving to achieve"). That's exactly what your statement is saying, and it's most definitely NOT an opinion. It's wrong. On many levels.

So if that's not what you're trying to say, if you simply chose the wrong words, then what were you trying to say?

On 5/3/2013 at 8:57 AM, McCall said:

My true expression:

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

Yes massir

Activists piss you off because you have all the privilege and you don't want it taken away.

"Activists piss me off". That would funny if it was not so sad. The world is not always perfect as it is. Sometimes it takes activism to change that. It's why beheadings are not common anymore. Hell it's why we have certain freedoms that used to be so rare in the world.

--

As for people calling you a bigot. They are not. Which is funny because you are a bigot. Well, if you are not a bigot, then you certainly are a subscriber to stereotypes. It's fine and good to say you don't like or dislike someone because of their sexual orientation. I'm right there with you...but you cannot leave it alone. You have to remind us that "but you know how they are". They are always throwing it in our faces, handing us rainbow flags, telling us we should be gay...or whatever you think. I'd love to have a dime every time someone like you said "I don't care if you're gay or not, but I wish they'd stop throwing it our face."

You cannot just say "I am OK with it" because deep down inside you are not. So you have to qualify it with statements that pretty much send the message that you think most of 'em are not only gay but they are trying to make sure you never stop thinking about it. And they are not. They don't care about you.

The "form of enlightenment we all should be striving to achieve" line is pure gold, though. Thanks for the laugh.

Whether you are a bigot or not is semantics. But you hold a stereotype that puts you on the immediate defensive of how "activist" you think they'll be. You are "pre judging" them, if you will.

So go ahead and say that you are being ripped for stating your opinions. I suppose it's true. It's your misfortune that you've run into so many people that don't like to stereotype homosexuals.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

It's funny how the same people always end up on the wrong side of race / equality / general human rights debates, and then act like they're the ones being persecuted. Not surprising coming from someone who refuses to serve people in his store if they have straight brims or stickers on their hats.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My true expression:

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

"Activist" is a rather broad term. I mean if simply wanting to see a segment of the population that is routinely discriminated against get treated fairly and equally then ok, I'm an activist. And you are too, if your previous statement in support of same-sex marriage is accurate.

I mean people are saying "oh you shouldn't make a big deal about Jason Collins" coming out. Well of course it's going to be a big deal, due to how many people view homosexuality. I think we're all in agreement, it would be wonderful if someone could be gay and it not be a big deal. We're not at that point though. Until we are at that point a pro athlete in a major professional sports league coming out will be huge news.

My true exp<b></b>ression:

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

Yes massir

king.jpg

Activists piss you off because you have all the privilege and you don't want it taken away.

Are you f$&@ing serious? You know what, I'm not even going to try and explain myself because you all have your minds made up that if no one is repeating your beliefs verbatim, then they're ignorant bigots. This is frickin unreal.

Quit putting words in people's mouths and get over yourselves.

Simple enough: I have nothing whatsoever against gay people. If you can't read that clearly enough, then I really don't care.

It's funny how the same people always end up on the wrong side of race / equality / general human rights debates, and then act like they're the ones being persecuted. Not surprising coming from someone who refuses to serve people in his store if they have straight brims or stickers on their hats.

Yeah you know me so well. Making :censored: up. I guess that makes it fact. I've never said anything about not serving people with straight brims and stickers on their caps.

On 5/3/2013 at 9:22 AM, McCall said:
On 5/3/2013 at 9:10 AM, OnWis97 said:
On 5/3/2013 at 8:57 AM, McCall said:

My true expression:

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

Yes massir

Are you f$&@ing serious? You know what, I'm not even going to try and explain myself because you all have your minds made up that if no one is repeating your beliefs verbatim, then they're ignorant bigots. This is frickin unreal.

Simple enough: I have nothing whatsoever against gay people. If you can't read that clearly enough, then I really don't care.

BTW, I was not calling you a racist or suggesting you don't like MLK, Jr. I put a photo up of the first great activist I could think of to point out the silliness of your broad statement.

POTD (Shared)

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

Yes massir

king.jpg

BTW, I was not calling you a racist or suggesting you don't like MLK, Jr. I put a photo up of the first great activist I could think of to point out the silliness of your broad statement.

I understand the your point, OnWis, but that was still a low blow

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Activists piss me off.

Clear enough?

Yes massir

king.jpg

Fine, activists TODAY piss me off. I happen believe MLK was a great man and that he would be embarrassed by some of the race activists today, like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. He believed in equality. Guys today are looking for racism in everything, always assuming. He believed there was good in everyone. So yeah, I took it to imply I was a slavemaster or something. I don't get offended easily at all, but I was a little. But I'll get over it. Lets just move on.

Edit: VIEWS like a slavemaster. Obviously not that you believe I'm an actual one. Just wanted to clarify that.

Edit: VIEWS like a slavemaster. Obviously not that you believe I'm an actual one. Just wanted to clarify that.

Hey man, no need to get defensive. Like you said, what two consenting adults do the privacy of their home is their own business :upside:

Archived