NBA C Jason Collins comes out as gay

CS85

Okay seriously. I have a question, why do people feel the need to come out to the world announcing that they are gay? I have never understood why people feel the need to make a big announcement about themselves. You don't see the man cheating on his wife come out and announce they are a cheater do ya? You don't see the stalker coming out and saying, hey, look at me, I stalk people do ya? Could someone please explain this to me?

Wow.

Because being gay is a biological predisposition and in order to live happy lives they feel that it's better to be open and honest than to keep something innate to themselves for their entire lives.

And also, you couldn't be more insulting by painting gays in the same vein as adulterers and stalkers. Not the same thing at all.

'

I was not painting people in any certain way, I was just trying to use examples of people who hide what they do....I am sorry if you were offended.

So hide that you're a straight man. Never tell anyone about your spouse and/or partners. Never talk about who you think is attractive. If you get sick and have to go to the hospital, your partner shouldn't visit you because that would reveal that you're straight.

If your mom dies, don't print your spouse's name in her obituary (http://www.progresso...t-decision.html) because who needs to see that?

The times are changing for the better and your kids are going to live in that world whether you like it or not.

Thanks for your input, but I will just stick with my Christian beliefs. Once again, if you were offended I do sincerely apologize.

I was raised in the church and my sister is a youth pastor (who has no problems with gay people whatsoever). I have Christian beliefs. Treating people with kindness and tolerance is my chief Christian belief. The only time I have a hard time doing that is with the intolerant.

I don't know if you're intolerant as much as you're ignorant. I'd read some literature and educate yourself. I'd rather you do that than just keep apologizing and vowing to protect your kids from things that aren't harmful.

I am not ignorant by any means and I am not intolerant, but I do believe that is it wrong. I also believe a person can be born gay, just like a person can be born an alcoholic, but just because someone is born that way does not mean that have to live that way. In my church we welcome gay people who choose to turn away from their sin and live their life without it. However, since these people are turning away from their nature, it is not like I can ask them why they chose to originally come out like I can on here.

spacer.png

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay seriously. I have a question, why do people feel the need to come out to the world announcing that they are gay? I have never understood why people feel the need to make a big announcement about themselves. You don't see the man cheating on his wife come out and announce they are a cheater do ya? You don't see the stalker coming out and saying, hey, look at me, I stalk people do ya? Could someone please explain this to me?

Wow.

Because being gay is a biological predisposition and in order to live happy lives they feel that it's better to be open and honest than to keep something innate to themselves for their entire lives.

And also, you couldn't be more insulting by painting gays in the same vein as adulterers and stalkers. Not the same thing at all.

'

I was not painting people in any certain way, I was just trying to use examples of people who hide what they do....I am sorry if you were offended.

So hide that you're a straight man. Never tell anyone about your spouse and/or partners. Never talk about who you think is attractive. If you get sick and have to go to the hospital, your partner shouldn't visit you because that would reveal that you're straight.

If your mom dies, don't print your spouse's name in her obituary (http://www.progresso...t-decision.html) because who needs to see that?

The times are changing for the better and your kids are going to live in that world whether you like it or not.

Thanks for your input, but I will just stick with my Christian beliefs. Once again, if you were offended I do sincerely apologize.

I was raised in the church and my sister is a youth pastor (who has no problems with gay people whatsoever). I have Christian beliefs. Treating people with kindness and tolerance is my chief Christian belief. The only time I have a hard time doing that is with the intolerant.

I don't know if you're intolerant as much as you're ignorant. I'd read some literature and educate yourself. I'd rather you do that than just keep apologizing and vowing to protect your kids from things that aren't harmful.

I am not ignorant by any means and I am not intolerant, but I do believe that is it wrong. I also believe a person can be born gay, just like a person can be born an alcoholic, but just because someone is born that way does not mean that have to live that way. In my church we welcome gay people who choose to turn away from their sin and live their life without it. However, since these people are turning away from their nature, it is not like I can ask them why they chose to originally come out like I can on here.

probably

definitely

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So your church accepts that people are born gay, but encourages them not to stay that way.

Are there any other birth traits that it tries to pray out of people?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

So your church accepts that people are born gay, but encourages them not to stay that way.

Most churches, including mine does not believe that people are born that way. That is a personal view that goes back to Adam & Eve taking the forbidden fruit, thus creating sin for all of mankind.

spacer.png

"I used to be gay---Evangelist tells his story"

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/I-used-to-be-gay---Evangelist-tells-his-story

Also, an interesting look at one-sided tolerance:

603771_10151915776514778_548539182_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I clicked on two of your provided links, neither of which did much to back up your claims.

I don't know if you're trolling or not, but either way, you're a walking cliche of the anti-christian christian.

Most churches, including mine does not believe that people are born that way. That is a personal view that goes back to Adam & Eve taking the forbidden fruit, thus creating sin for all of mankind.

If your entire church believes it, its no longer personal. Congrats, you're brainwashed.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I refer you to my earlier comment. If anyone can claim, with a straight face, that their beliefs are reflective of Christianity's as a whole then they're not worth listening too because they don't know what they're talking about. McCarthy just proved that point, so there's no reason to go into other examples. Needless to say by running around yelling "I'M A CHRISTIAN THEREFORE I BELIEVE GAYS ARE SINFUL" you're showing an extreme level of ignorance concerning your own religion.

http://www.jamaicaob...tells-his-story

Yeah, and "praying away teh gayz" really works.

Not. Even. Close. Was Tim Tebow the first Christian to play professional football? Was he the first to ever thank G-d or Jesus for a win or inspired play on the field? Was he the first NFL player to mention in an interview that his Christian faith played a key role in his life? No. There was nothing remotely unique about Tim Tebow's faith. At all. Other then the fact that he wouldn't stop talking about it, which disproves the point of the comic.

Jason Collins, though? He came out as a member of the one minority group that it's still acceptable to be bigoted towards. At a point in his career where he's essentially looking for a job. In a profession that's not exactly the most friendly when it comes to homosexuality. That, whether you want to admit it or not, is heroic.

Also Tim Tebow chose to be a Christian. Just like you did, or how I chose to be Jewish. There are environmental factors that come into play when determining one's religion, obviously. At the end of the day, though, we make the decision to follow the faith of our parents. Jason Collins didn't decide to be gay, because no one decides to be gay. It's not a choice. At all. At this point you're just showing your own ignorance and/or bigoted beliefs by continually trying to push the idea that it is.

I clicked on two of your provided links, neither of which did much to back up your claims.

I don't know if you're trolling or not, but either way, you're a walking cliche of the anti-christian christian. Congrats.

I have never trolled on these boards in the five plus years I have been a member and I never intend to....but my claims might not be factual, but I know that my Aunt and Uncle were both alcoholics and all three of their kids are too and I don't need to see an Ivy league study to tell me that they were born like that through genetics.

Listen I am not saying that people should not be gay...do what you want and I will too, but I was trying to get to the point of why people feel the need to tell everyone about the sexuality. I will chose to believe in how I was raised and how I have lived my life for the last 39 years and I would expect everyone else to do the same.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and I will continue to research my initial question and I will refrain from sharing my Christian beliefs on this topic from this point forward.

spacer.png

Listen I am not saying that people should not be gay...do what you want and I will too, but I was trying to get to the point of why people feel the need to tell everyone about the sexuality. I will chose to believe in how I was raised and how I have lived my life for the last 39 years and I would expect everyone else to do the same.

I'm going to break this down easily for you.

People choose to tell others they're gay because they want to be able to be open about who they are with their family and friends. Can you not understand how this is desirable?

People choose to tell others they're gay because they want to be able to be open about who they are with their family and friends. Can you not understand how this is desirable?

I completely understand about coming out to your friends in family, but to come out on National TV is another story altogether.

Like I said earlier, I am a private person that does not like to share things about my life with people and it just seems weird to me that some people like to share their private lives with complete strangers.

spacer.png

Listen I am not saying that people should not be gay...do what you want and I will too, but I was trying to get to the point of why people feel the need to tell everyone about the sexuality.

It's not about sex, it's about love.

Try to go through a single day without once mentioning the person that you love. Girlfriend, wife, whatever.

Take her picture off your desk, remove the relationship status from Facebook. Try to spend one full day not mentioning her, or something you did together, or a family member of hers, or a funny thing she said to you last night. Don't talk about plans you have for that evening, for that weekend, for your lives together. If you wear a ring, take it off. Don't speak her name out loud, don't even mention how grateful you are to God that you have a person like her in your life.

Do that for one single, solitary day, and you'll know exactly why gay men and women "feel the need" to come out to the people in their lives (which, for public figures, includes the public).

None of us can truly hide our love for long without losing some part of ourselves.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and I will continue to research my initial question and I will refrain from sharing my Christian beliefs on this topic from this point forward.

Please stop citing your "Christian" beliefs as the excuse for your reasoning. Not all of us feel the same way as you do.

Try this instead: "I will refrain from sharing my beliefs on this topic from this point forward."

PvO6ZWJ.png

I completely understand about coming out to your friends in family, but to come out on National TV is another story altogether.

Like I said earlier, I am a private person that does not like to share things about my life with people and it just seems weird to me that some people like to share their private lives with complete strangers.

He came out publically in a major sports publication because he wants other athletes who are gay to be able to come out to their friends and family while they're active. And to do that someone has to be the one to be the first to come out, and that's going to be a big story. If you want to to get the point where being gay is no big deal and gay athletes don't make a big deal about their sexual orientation then what Jason Collins did is necessary to get to that point.

Tim Tebow is Christian, as a CHOICE. Jason Collins is gay, as a matter of birth.

Nope, sorry. No one cares about Tebow, because he's overhyped, overrated, and frankly, over

Wow.

'

Do your beliefs include stoning your wife because she was not a virgin at the wedding? Deut. 22:13-21

Do your beliefs include not eating pork? Leviticus 11:7-8

There are many more examples of ludicrous Bible passages that are not sensible in the 21st century. To use the Bible as an excuse to browbeat and denigrate homosexuals is lazy and outrageously wrong.

Christ NEVER came out against homosexuality, just St Paul.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I have never trolled on these boards in the five plus years I have been a member and I never intend to....but my claims might not be factual, but I know that my Aunt and Uncle were both alcoholics and all three of their kids are too and I don't need to see an Ivy league study to tell me that they were born like that through genetics.

That doesn't necessarily prove it's genetic. It just proves they were in an enabling environment.

At what age did their children start drinking? Did the kids cry in their infancy because they weren't getting alcohol, like crack babies? (not making a joke of this; I know Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can cause deformities and behavioral problems)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not only is this extremely ignorant, it's factually dishonest... name one other BACKUP quarterback in NFL history who has had more people shilling for him than Tim Tebow.

And again, there is nothing hypocritical about refusing to tolerate bigotry (the EXACT OPPOSITE of tolerance); but acknowledging this wouldn't allow Christianists to claim persecution and victimhood while transgressing on their fellow man (just like Jesus would've done, right?).

Not only is this extremely ignorant, it's factually dishonest... name one other BACKUP quarterback in NFL history who has had more people shilling for him than Tim Tebow.

And again, there is nothing hypocritical about refusing to tolerate bigotry (the EXACT OPPOSITE of tolerance); but acknowledging this wouldn't allow Christianists to claim persecution and victimhood while transgressing on their fellow man (just like Jesus would've done, right?).

Tebow's Christianity and living the pure lifestyle was celebrated by the media, until it was shown he was a poor throwing NFL backup QB at best.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I dunno, why do Christians trumpet their faith and righteousness like some latter-day Pharisees?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived