Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

Whatever side you're on in regards to whether or not "Redskins" is offensive enough to require a name change, I'd like to strongly suggest that the change should be driven by the people who patronize the NFL and the Washington Redskins - not by some governmental agency bent on imposing itself onto major league sports.

The Redskins might still be a whites-only club if not for some governmental agency bent on imposing itself onto major league sports. Also, if you want to do business within the confines of the District of Columbia, your business practices are the Federal Government's business. The Constitution says the Government administers DC.

yes because football fans as a collective are always such a forward thinking and inclusive group,

Speaking of broad-brush stereotypical assumptions...

The bottom line here is, a politician is trying to force the change from on high - as governmental types are wont to do. A truly gargantuan waste of taxpayers' time.

Dan Snyder wants a new stadium in the confines of District of Columbia, one that will almost certainly be built with at least some public assistance. Attaching strings to his new stadium is not a waste of time or money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever side you're on in regards to whether or not "Redskins" is offensive enough to require a name change, I'd like to strongly suggest that the change should be driven by the people who patronize the NFL and the Washington Redskins - not by some governmental agency bent on imposing itself onto major league sports.

The Redskins might still be a whites-only club if not for some governmental agency bent on imposing itself onto major league sports. Also, if you want to do business within the confines of the District of Columbia, your business practices are the Federal Government's business. The Constitution says the Government administers DC.

FedEx Field is located in Landover, MD, the headquarters are in Ashburn, VA and the Training Camp is located in Richmond, VA so as of right now they have nothing to do with the District of Columbia. But if Snyder wants a stadium in DC, then he will have decide which is more important to him...then name or a new stadium.

spacer.png

Garbage. As is the case in most anachronisms like whites-only clubs, society in general caused the shift, not some politician. Have a peek at the Masters. And this name of a football team, for all the hand-wringing and wailing in here, does not rise to the level of necessary governmental intervention. Running to big daddy government to solve what amounts to offended sensibilities is like swatting a fly with a Buick.

Dan Snyder wants a new stadium in the confines of District of Columbia, one that will almost certainly be built with at least some public assistance. Attaching strings to his new stadium is not a waste of time or money.

Solving financing issues is not a waste of time. Using the strong arm of the government to exact political correctness is not only a waste of time, but sets a dangerous precedent. Also, it only prompts Snyder to move his stadium plans out of D.C.

I understand that the name in and of itself may very well need to change, but this can be achieved without getting the clown-shoed halfwit blather machines involved. When did people abandon affecting change themselves in lieu of telling daddy to go beat up the bad guy?

Garbage. As is the case in most anachronisms like whites-only clubs, society in general caused the shift, not some politician. Have a peek at the Masters. And this name of a football team, for all the hand-wringing and wailing in here, does not rise to the level of necessary governmental intervention. Running to big daddy government to solve what amounts to offended sensibilities is like swatting a fly with a Buick.

Umm, no. The government played a very explicit role in the integration of the Redskins franchise. Primarily because letting a racist :censored: head keep a segregated team in your primarily black capital city looks bad locally AND globally (hard to claim to be leading the free world when you have such a large and public symbol of the lack of freedom in your own goddamn ZIP code.)

Solving financing issues is not a waste of time. Using the strong arm of the government to exact political correctness is not only a waste of time, but sets a dangerous precedent. Also, it only prompts Snyder to move his stadium plans out of D.C.

If Snyder can't get a stadium in D.C. he's liable to keep FedEx Field (which he should anyway because the damn thing isn't even 20 years old yet). He wants to be in the District, and he wants to have a multi-million dollar pleasure palace built on Federal Land with public assistance. Fine. It then becomes the public interest of what he calls his franchise that helps generate for him untold millions of dollars.

I understand that the name in and of itself may very well need to change, but this can be achieved without getting the clown-shoed halfwit blather machines involved. When did people abandon affecting change themselves in lieu of telling daddy to go beat up the bad guy?

We've been letting society run its natural course to where you have people arguing in this very thread that since the word has passed out of use except in reference to the football team, it is now acceptable to retain the name. In light of that, and the sense that Snyder (who is soooo responsive to grassroots pressure, right Washington fans?) isn't going to change it without a government club, well its time to break out the club in negotiations now that you do actually have an edge on him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Of all the suggestions I've seen, I think these are the best (plus some of my own):

DC Comets

Washington (Red) Hogs

Washington Americans

Washington Federals

Washington Founders

Washington Gladiators

Washington Liberators

Washington Olympics

Washington Pigskins

Washington Potomacs

Washington Presidents

Washington Red Hawks

Washington RedTails

Washington Senators

Washington Sentinels

Washington Statesmen

Washington Warlocks

Washington Warriors

Washington Warthogs

Washington Wasps

Washington White Caps

Washington Warthogs

That's the one I would go with myself.

It would be very easy to keep the burgundy and gold look with that name, plus there's already a connection there with the hogs and hogettes, so you wouldn't be necessarily starting from scratch in the tradition department as you would with a name like Redtails or Wildcats.

My view is I don't think the government needs to get involved. I think there's other ways of getting the name changed without resorting to passing a law that says they have to. End of the day its a nickname for a sports team. Nobody is dying, have or their rights taken away over it, or losing money because of it. So I'm going to say not a big deal.

But you don't need to stomp your feet and throw a hissy fit as Dan Snyder did when people say (and probably justifiably so) that the name can be seen as offensive and should be changed. You can could change the name tomorrow, you might get a few diehards that might boycott some games at first but in the long run I doubt it will make any difference.

Then he again he's probably more upset that he's not going to get his new D.C. stadium tomorrow and is probably going to be stuck in Landover for at least another decade.

Sorry to drudge up an older topic, but I believe Daniel Snyder's declaration to the media that the name will NEVER change is relevant. Snyder, being the man that everybody loves to hate, probably did more to ensure a future name change is forced upon him with that declaration, IMO.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

His "NEVER" comment just shows how both ignorant and hypocritical he truly is. He brought suit to a newspaper for what he perceived libel to his being Jewish when a picture of himself was published with horns on it. Stay classy, Dumb@ssy

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

My view is I don't think the government needs to get involved. I think there's other ways of getting the name changed without resorting to passing a law that says they have to. End of the day its a nickname for a sports team. Nobody is dying, have or their rights taken away over it, or losing money because of it. So I'm going to say not a big deal.

...because that certainly deserves to be up there with death and oppression.

And like it or not, the NFL, is one of the most prominent American institutions in the world, and therefore, having a team named for a racial slur is a VERY big deal, and one that absolutely warrants the fed to intervene if it comes to that.

And like it or not, the NFL, is one of the most prominent American institutions in the world, and therefore, having a team named for a racial slur is a VERY big deal, and one that absolutely warrants the fed to intervene if it comes to that.

Well considering spending is the number one issue government focuses on, yeah I would say money is pretty important, but that's another topic which I'm not getting into here. Other people can debate that all they want here, but I'm not getting into it. It would be nice if we could have a civilized discussion about those things on this board, but I've been around here long enough to know that's never going to happen.

Point I was trying to make is that this is not the Civil Rights act of '65 which did law to be enacted because people were dying and being underrepresented in government. There are other ways of going about this without passing a law.

You want to say the Redskins can't get taxpayer money to build a new stadium so long as they have that name. Okay. I'm not against using a double standard on a team named the Redskins in that area. But to say you can't do something. It has to be something very egregious for me to say the government should step in and make a law against it and this isn't it.

They should change the name, but I'm not going to say here and say I feel like I have the right to make them.

Yes, mister government! Please piss away more of my tax money on sports!

Well considering spending is the number one issue government focuses on, yeah I would say money is pretty important, but that's another topic which I'm not getting into here. Other people can debate that all they want here, but I'm not getting into it. It would be nice if we could have a civilized discussion about those things on this board, but I've been around here long enough to know that's never going to happen.

Point I was trying to make is that this is not the Civil Rights act of '65 which did law to be enacted because people were dying and being underrepresented in government. There are other ways of going about this without passing a law.

You want to say the Redskins can't get taxpayer money to build a new stadium so long as they have that name. Okay. I'm not against using a double standard on a team named the Redskins in that area. But to say you can't do something. It has to be something very egregious for me to say the government should step in and make a law against it and this isn't it.

They should change the name, but I'm not going to say here and say I feel like I have the right to make them.

Washington DC isn't Kansas City, or Cleveland, or even Chicago for that matter. It's our nation's capital and has a bigger spotlight on the world stage than any other American city, save for New York and occasionally Los Angeles. It seriously undermines our credibility when we claim to be a free and democratic society, yet such a visible entity that represents our capital as part of one of the US's biggest cultural exports (the NFL) is named for a term that is intended to dehumanize the original people of our land and a large segment (3,140,000 people) of our population. Especially when you consider that the fed government legally controls said capital, and is therefore in a position to take direct action.

Yes, mister government! Please piss away more of my tax money on sports!

Yes, mister Limbaugh and mister Hannity... PLEASE give me more talking points I can knee-jerkingly spew without regard to whether or not it actually figures into the discussion.

Archived