Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

Would the team have to cut all non-African American players at that point?

And would George Lucas have to produce a terrible adaptation of the name change process?

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

I'm all for changing the Redskins name, but I haven't heard a suitable replacement until now.

Redtails works for me. You keep the Red part of the nickname, you can keep the team colors, and you honor a group of brave war heroes instead of disparaging an entire race. I say go for it.

Yes because the only players who have played for the Redskins in their history have been Native American.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wish people would just drop this nonsense already! Grow some thick skin and quit complaining, Jeez! The team is not gonna change it's name anytime soon as the fans love the name Redskins and it is only the lefty's who feel the need to whine and complain.

spacer.png

I just know people are going to whine about government on this one, so it's important to remember that a resolution is in no way forceful and takes nothing away from the fact that it's up to the team. The article's headline "D.C. Council May Push Washington Redskins into 'Washington Redtails'" is pretty misleading.

If this name ever changes, I really don't want there to be any perception that the DC Council (or any other govenernment) was behind it. There'll always be the perception that the team "caved to PC", but we could do without the belief that government forced it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wish people would just drop this nonsense already! Grow some thick skin and quit complaining, Jeez! The team is not gonna change it's name anytime soon as the fans love the name Redskins and it is only the lefty's who feel the need to whine and complain.

And just about every Native American group fighting what they call derogatory nicknames, but WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT THOSE PEOPLE THINK?!?!

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm all for changing the Redskins name, but I haven't heard a suitable replacement until now.

Redtails works for me. You keep the Red part of the nickname, you can keep the team colors, and you honor a group of brave war heroes instead of disparaging an entire race. I say go for it.

Yes because the only players who have played for the Redskins in their history have been Native American.

Redtails might make for a fine name if the team was based in Montgomery or Birmingham, AL, but the Tuskegee Airmen have no connection to the DC area. And if you named it after the Tuskegee Airmen nickname, then all of the other white airmen, who might have made a larger contribution to the war and are still around, will be offended for not being recognized. You're essentially trying to make up for history by propping them up higher than they should be otherwise.

And in any event, the team doesn't even play their games in the District, so whatever the council does has no bearing. There is still freedom of expression in this country, even if a handful of people don't like it. I mean you would think Indians would be all in an uproar about the nickname, but they don't seem to be. It's more whites than anyone, which really doesn't make any sense since it doesn't impact them. If people object that strongly to the nickname, then don't patronize the business. If enough people do that, then the owners will change their name.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Redtails might make for a fine name if the team was based in Montgomery or Birmingham, AL, but the Tuskegee Airmen have no connection to the DC area. And if you named it after the Tuskegee Airmen nickname, then all of the other white airmen, who might have made a larger contribution to the war and are still around, will be offended for not being recognized. You're essentially trying to make up for history by propping them up higher than they should be otherwise.

Really? Really?

(Countdown until some knucklehead brings up the "Fighting Irish"... 10, 9, 8, 7...)

If the Tuskegee Airmen had no connection to D.C. whatsoever, then where else could the Redtails name have been derived from?

A Google image search has so far given me WW2 era fighter planes, a sports car painted in the same colour scheme, a hawk, and a fish. Got linked from there to another search for "redtail warriors" and it's giving me pictures of cartoon cats.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Washington Warriors throw the spear back on the helmet and they are done.

They have this trademarked. Some time ago Snyder wanted to field an Arena team with the Washington Warriors name using a uniform design of what is now the 70th Anniv uniform.

If the Tuskegee Airmen had no connection to D.C. whatsoever, then where else could the Redtails name have been derived from?

A Google image search has so far given me WW2 era fighter planes, a sports car painted in the same colour scheme, a hawk, and a fish. Got linked from there to another search for "redtail warriors" and it's giving me pictures of cartoon cats.

If the team was Alabama based, I would be all for this....

The name has a nice ring to it, but stop with the madness people. PC names are stupid, and if we are able to accept gay people, why can't we keep the name? It makes no sense, and the name DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT offend people.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

And in any event, the team doesn't even play their games in the District, so whatever the council does has no bearing. There is still freedom of expression in this country, even if a handful of people don't like it. I mean you would think Indians would be all in an uproar about the nickname, but they don't seem to be. It's more whites than anyone, which really doesn't make any sense since it doesn't impact them. If people object that strongly to the nickname, then don't patronize the business. If enough people do that, then the owners will change their name.

It would not if they did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's a couple of false statements right there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/02/25/notah-begay-calls-redskins-nickname-institutionalized-degradation/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/18/oklahoma-congressman-calls-redskins-name-very-offensive/

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Redskins-Trademark-Battle-Goes-to-Supreme-Court-59323632.html

http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2013/03/navajo-woman-in-washington-to-argue-against-offensive-redskins-name/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9029154/challenge-washington-redskins-team-name-begins-trademark-hearing

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2013/03/16/washington-redskins-trademark

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/06/amid-renewed-momentum-native-americans-opposing-redskins-nickname-go-before/

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep/18/sports/sp-plaschke18

You get the point. The people the team is named after say the name is racist. If they're the ones saying the name is racist then you kinda have to listen to them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And just about every Native American group fighting what they call derogatory nicknames, but WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT THOSE PEOPLE THINK?!?!

They have proclamations and such from various Native American tribes in the Washington DC area, who are fine with the name of team being the Redskins. Some are even hung on the walls of the club level of the stadium. The only people who have issues are the PC Politicians.

I mean you would think Indians would be all in an uproar about the nickname, but they don't seem to be. It's more whites than anyone, which really doesn't make any sense since it doesn't impact them. If people object that strongly to the nickname, then don't patronize the business. If enough people do that, then the owners will change their name.

It's been like 400 years dude. At least call the group of massacred people by a geographically correct name.

Furthermore, I think more "whites" complain about this then native Americans because . . . . well . . . . the "whites" killed 90% of the native Americans. So there's that.

edit: I don't love the name Redtails. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the Silly Geese over their current name, but still, does anyone remember the running list of possible (or better) proposed names?

The name has a nice ring to it, but stop with the madness people. PC names are stupid, and if we are able to accept gay people, why can't we keep the name? It makes no sense, and the name DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT offend people.

This is one of the all-time dumbest posts on the boards.

"if we are able to accept gay people, why can't we keep the name?"

So if we're able to accept one group of people then we're free to openly degrade another? That makes no sense and is really silly little-kid logic.

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it in bold letters, people ARE offended by the Redskins name. Many people are offended by the name. Many native people are offended by the name and if they're the ones who are offended then they're the only ones who matter in this issue.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The reason the DC government is getting involved is because the Redskins want to buy the property RFK Stadium/DC Armory stands on from the city to build a Dome Stadium so that Snyder can have a Super Bowl in DC. The city figures they can leverage this to get the name changed as part of the conditions.

Archived