Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I propose the team does a poll of the tribes in the surrounding areas with 2 questions:

1. Are you offended by the Redskins name?

(A) Yes

B No

2. Would you like for the name to change?

(A) Yes

B No

Last time they did that it was B for both. The trouble is, thanks to the actions of many of the European settlers there reallyaren't any major tribes around the DC area to poll. Andrew Jackson moved most of the ones that didn't get exterminated....

Say if they ever decided to change the name, what if they referred to them as the Washington Reds and removed their current logo and used the arrow instead? Would the name "Reds" be offensive to anyone?

spacer.png

Say if they ever decided to change the name, what if they referred to them as the Washington Reds and removed their current logo and used the arrow instead? Would the name "Reds" be offensive to anyone?

Not if the logo was a cartoon of a person w/ a football head and a red hat w/ a C errr a W.

The name "Reds" wouldn't be offensive in and of itself, but it would still be viewed as such if it was associated with Native imagery. Now if they switched their logo to a W or something, but kept the colours and used the name Reds? No one would care.

The name "Reds" wouldn't be offensive in and of itself, but it would still be viewed as such if it was associated with Native imagery. Now if they switched their logo to a W or something, but kept the colours and used the name Reds? No one would care.

Excellent point! Maybe they should just drop the name completely and go with Warhogs or something like that.

spacer.png

The majority of native americans don't care about the name. It's only the liberal tards that seem to care nowadays. The Skins aren't changing their name anytime soon.

In a study performed by the National Annenberg Survey, Native Americans from the 48 continental U.S. states were asked "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or does it not bother you?" In response, ninety percent replied that the name is acceptable, while nine percent said that it was offensive, and one percent would not answer.

Most black people I know would probably laugh in your face if you called them a moon cricket... it's an antiquated slur from the 19th century that means nothing to them. That still doesn't mean it's a good idea (let alone a morally sound one) to base a pro football teams' identity on it.

Whether you like it or not, the fact that a racial slur is such a prominent part of one of the most visible American institutions in the world (the NFL) reflects very poorly on America and its values. That might not bother Cletus and Earl who've never been more than 50 miles from their birth town of Buttfudge, Kentucky; but the rest of us who don't live in such a bubble would appreciate not having a racial slur casually tossed into our faces multiple times each Sunday afternoon.

Also, I'm a card-carrying member of the Menominee Nation of Wisconsin. So can we please put this "only white liberals who want everyone else to feel guilty have a problem with it" bullsh~t to rest once and for all?

I wish people would just drop this nonsense already! Grow some thick skin and quit complaining, Jeez! The team is not gonna change it's name anytime soon as the fans love the name Redskins and it is only the lefty's who feel the need to whine and complain.

It's an ethnic slur. You might have an argument if they kept the Braves moniker, but George Preston Marshall felt that name was too racially tolerant.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wish people would just drop this nonsense already! Grow some thick skin and quit complaining, Jeez! The team is not gonna change it's name anytime soon as the fans love the name Redskins and it is only the lefty's who feel the need to whine and complain.

And just about every Native American group fighting what they call derogatory nicknames, but WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT THOSE PEOPLE THINK?!?!

They have proclamations and such from various Native American tribes in the Washington DC area, who are fine with the name of team being the Redskins. Some are even hung on the walls of the club level of the stadium. The only people who have issues are the PC Politicians.

I couldn't use the name in front of my Akwesasne Mohawk grandmother. If I did, it would result in a slap to the mouth, a mouthful of soap, or both.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Christ I can see the right wing radio talk show guys flipping out already. Clear evidence to them that Obama is a Communist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding several points.

1. Whether or not Redskins is racist or a term of honor: I assure you Redskins is racist, because if it wasn't George Preston Marshall would not have renamed his goddamn football team the Redskins. "Redskin" being an ethnic slur was not a bug, but a feature to him.

2. On city councils forcing change: There is strong precedent for this; ultimately they're the guys giving you a lease so they can put in whatever they want into the language. The Rams are the first team in the NFL to integrate because Los Angeles made signing a black player a precondition to getting a lease in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Redskins only finally integrated in 1962 because the Federal Government (which officially runs the city) threatened to revoke their lease at RFK.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, hey, at least the kid apologized for it.

It's real easy, kiddos:

REDSKINS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

INDIANS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

DRUNKEN MICKS is racist.

FIGHTING IRISH is not.

That is an opinion only...some people feel that the name Rednecks or Hillbillies is racist, but do you see actually Rednecks and Hillbillies complaining about it? No, you don't because they love who they are and they don't feel the need to whine and cry about it. The name Redskins to me is a way of honoring the past Native Americans aka Indians like Cleveland calls them.

a redneck and hillbilly is not a race it is a lifestyle. offensive or not dont confuse calling an entire race a derogetory name the same as calling someone a hill billy. Useing the name redskins is like calling a team the wetbacks/ :censored:s etc. its not right no matter how many people wnat to say "its the pc police"

excuse my language but I felt it was needed to make my point

Well, hey, at least the kid apologized for it.

It's real easy, kiddos:

REDSKINS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

INDIANS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

DRUNKEN MICKS is racist.

FIGHTING IRISH is not.

That is an opinion only...some people feel that the name Rednecks or Hillbillies is racist, but do you see actually Rednecks and Hillbillies complaining about it? No, you don't because they love who they are and they don't feel the need to whine and cry about it. The name Redskins to me is a way of honoring the past Native Americans aka Indians like Cleveland calls them.

a redneck and hillbilly is not a race it is a lifestyle. offensive or not dont confuse calling an entire race a derogetory name the same as calling someone a hill billy. Useing the name redskins is like calling a team the wetbacks/ :censored:s etc. its not right no matter how many people wnat to say "its the pc police"

excuse my language but I felt it was needed to make my point

wierd how the N word in my post was censored but not the other racial slur

I'm all for changing the Redskins name, but I haven't heard a suitable replacement until now.

Redtails works for me. You keep the Red part of the nickname, you can keep the team colors, and you honor a group of brave war heroes instead of disparaging an entire race. I say go for it.

Would the team have to cut all non-African American players at that point?

Yes because the only players who have played for the Redskins in their history have been Native American.

Redtails might make for a fine name if the team was based in Montgomery or Birmingham, AL, but the Tuskegee Airmen have no connection to the DC area. And if you named it after the Tuskegee Airmen nickname, then all of the other white airmen, who might have made a larger contribution to the war and are still around, will be offended for not being recognized. You're essentially trying to make up for history by propping them up higher than they should be otherwise.

And in any event, the team doesn't even play their games in the District, so whatever the council does has no bearing. There is still freedom of expression in this country, even if a handful of people don't like it. I mean you would think Indians would be all in an uproar about the nickname, but they don't seem to be. It's more whites than anyone, which really doesn't make any sense since it doesn't impact them. If people object that strongly to the nickname, then don't patronize the business. If enough people do that, then the owners will change their name.

That's a couple of false statements right there.

http://www.washingto...ed-degradation/

http://www.washingto...very-offensive/

http://www.nbcwashin...t-59323632.html

http://cronkitenewso...-redskins-name/

http://espn.go.com/n...ademark-hearing

http://onlyagame.wbu...skins-trademark

http://www.foxnews.c...name-go-before/

http://articles.lati...s/sp-plaschke18

You get the point. The people the team is named after say the name is racist. If they're the ones saying the name is racist then you kinda have to listen to them.

But not all of them are offended by it. MOST are proud of it. So, while your argument is valid, it's only half valid. Thus rendering it useless. They might as well stay named the Redskins.

Untitled.png

^ If a glass is only half-full, is it completely empty, or is it still holding water?

Same concept...work that out, guy.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Redskins is a horrible, racist name. But teams that change from a Native American identity and insist on keeping the word "red" in their name deserve to be punched in the face for their stupidity.

Although... you know how the Red Wings wear red sleeves on both the home and road jerseys so that the players have red "wings?" I'd love to see the Redtails attempt a similar concept.

So I'm a card carrying Cherokee and the college I went to was founded by the Cherokee nation, had the nickname Redmen, and was changed to the Riverhawks for some goofy NCAA rule. The difference here is, that the mascot was the Redmen, because Redskins is pretty racist, as far as I'm concerned. That being said, if the name were changed, it would be pretty strange to see all the Redtails stuff where the Redskins used to be. I'd get used to it.

That being said, you see a whole lot of Cleveland Indians hats around here with a feather pinned to the button and one of Chief Wahoo's teeth painted gold. You rarely see the same treatment for Redskins merch.

Rename the Redskins the Americans and keep the logo the same. The man on the helmet could then A: give credit to the indigenous people as being the original Americans and B: be the representative of all Americans rather than just the native ones.

Archived