NHL 1970s Style - Ottawa Senators Added!

JCRGraphix

Sorry, your Coyotes set is a miss.

Your logo is just TOO GOOD! lol ;-)

The dark Coyotes jersey: WHERE TO BUY? :upside:

PS I know it could unbalance the logo, but if you would rotate the background circle a little to the right, this would form a big C.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up are the Columbus Blue Jackets. This design is actually based on a lot of research and my own personal experiences as a U.S. Army Musician. The team name "Blue Jackets" was chosen to recognize the service and patriotism of the people of Ohio during the Civil War. When President Abraham Lincoln requested that Ohio raise ten regiments at the outbreak of the Civil War, the state responded by raising a total of 23 volunteer infantry regiments for three months of service. Because of this, I designed the logo using crossed muskets (the logo of American infantry) on top of the shield from the National Seal of the US. On the sleeves are the civil war regimental rank insignia of a Sergeant Major which is currently only still used by the U.S. Army Band. The stars on the shoulder are merely decoration as you would obviously never see two different ranks on one uniform. I feel that this uniform would fit with the burst of patriotism that came about around the time of the bicentennial (1976), but could also work today.columbus_zpsc88a278d.png

Next are the Nashville Predators. In 1971, a Saber Toothed Tiger (Smilodon) was found during the excavation for the Regions Center in Nashville. Because of that find, when the Nashville Predators were given an NHL franchise, they chose the name Predators and made it their mascot. I tried to create a realistic 1970s saber toothed tiger logo, which was inspired by this Springfield Indians logo from 1947-51. The colors are pretty much the same as their current ones, bust the shade of blue is lighter. The colors are taken directly from the city flag. The jerseys are based on a 1970s classic, the Charlestown Chiefs. I didn't want an over-complicated look that would detract from the logo itself, so I used the Chiefs design since it wasn't seen in the NHL at the time.

nashville_zps8e34fbb5.png

First off this thread is outstanding. The jerseys, the logos and particularly the presentation has given the concepts boards a much needed breath of fresh air. Tough to say but I think my favourite is the Lightning. Can't wait to see what you do for the Dallas Stars :)

Next up are the Columbus Blue Jackets. This design is actually based on a lot of research and my own personal experiences as a U.S. Army Musician. The team name "Blue Jackets" was chosen to recognize the service and patriotism of the people of Ohio during the Civil War. When President Abraham Lincoln requested that Ohio raise ten regiments at the outbreak of the Civil War, the state responded by raising a total of 23 volunteer infantry regiments for three months of service. Because of this, I designed the logo using crossed muskets (the logo of American infantry) on top of the shield from the National Seal of the US. On the sleeves are the civil war regimental rank insignia of a Sergeant Major which is currently only still used by the U.S. Army Band. The stars on the shoulder are merely decoration as you would obviously never see two different ranks on one uniform. I feel that this uniform would fit with the burst of patriotism that came about around the time of the bicentennial (1976), but could also work today.

Honestly, I think these look better than the current set.

Next are the Carolina Hurricanes. They use the Whalers color scheme and a design based on the New England Whalers of the WHA, which would not have ruffled any feathers in the NHL since the Whalers didn't join until 1979. I also used a lighter blue to reflect the University of North Carolina.

carolina_zps46960759.png

Next up are the Dallas Stars. For this design, I used the colors from both the Texas state flag and Dallas city flag and created a logo based on this one from the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. The jersey itself is based on this one from the Bosnian IIHF team. Even though it was from the 90s, the design looked like it came out 20 years late, so I combined the designs an this is what I came up with.

dallas_zps00ad41d4.png

Next are the Carolina Hurricanes. They use the Whalers color scheme and a design based on the New England Whalers of the WHA, which would not have ruffled any feathers in the NHL since the Whalers didn't join until 1979. I also used a lighter blue to reflect the University of North Carolina.

carolina_zps46960759.png

I remember when the Whalers announced they were becoming the Hurricanes I was excited because 1.) I'd have a local NHL team to root for, but also 2.) blue and green are such a great color scheme for a storm-themed team. Then I ended up being disappointed by their decision to go with the more generic red and black.

This is a great series you've got going here. One of the best I've seen in a while.

Archived