Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

22 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

I would assume all of that negative space in the team abbreviation boxes was the result of:

1. Both teams having 2-letter abbreviations, whereas most teams use 3 letters.

2. Space for records during the regular season.

I think it's more likely 2; I didn't think about that initially. I guess we'll see for next season if it makes enough of a difference.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:11 PM, Dynasty said:

I think it's more likely 2; I didn't think about that initially. I guess we'll see for next season if it makes enough of a difference.

I'm, 100% confident there will be some adjustments to the scoreboard before the regular season. No question about that. I'm willing to bet that either the fonts will be adjusted or CBS scraps that, making Super Bowl LVIII a one-off a la Fox Sports at SB LI, and whatever we see in the regular season carries them until their LXII in 2028.

I will say, however, there were elements of the "retooled" graphics that I like. Scoreboard flashing the team name on scoring plays, the NBC-like TD animation, some of the transitions and wipes, the new scoreboard flash between commercial breaks, the player stat boxes...hopefully those stay around. Although, given how the "retool" looks, it's safe to say college football and hoops, golf, etc. will NOT get updated to match, right?

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, projectjohn said:

Sounds like the Bally Sports branding is going away at the end of MLB season. Hopefully a new graphics package will be something more akin to what Fox had at the end of their ownership of the RSNs.

https://awfulannouncing.com/bally/diamond-sports-group-branding-rsns.html

Agreed, I still miss Fox Sports Net, and my area has not had it since 2008 when FSNY changed to MSG+

On 3/6/2024 at 9:23 AM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

53571448803_0ba4fb59e2_3k.jpg

If the Braves want to use their spring training webcast package in a post-Bally world, it wouldn't be the worst.

It bothers me to no end how nothing aligns properly. 

XM4KeeA.png

• 3 weeks later...

I don't agree with TBS using the TNT Sports logos in their baseball graphics. I understand they're all under the same corporate umbrella now, but TNT and TBS are two different channels. Unlike ESPN and ABC, it doesn't make sense.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:32 PM, Mr. Krabs said:

I don't agree with TBS using the TNT Sports logos in their baseball graphics. I understand they're all under the same corporate umbrella now, but TNT and TBS are two different channels. Unlike ESPN and ABC, it doesn't make sense.

Going into the season, I had the expectation that the MLB on TBS branding wasn't going to change, but the only significant changes would be the presence of the TNT Sports logo in the replays and the intro of MLB Leadoff. Completely taking that away seems baffling to me.

The only legitimate reason that generically rebranding to MLB Tuesday makes sense to me is having truTV simulcast some games later on in the season once they are done carrying the simulcasted NBA games for the season and playoffs.

---------------------------------------

Editing this in to my post as to not self-jack the thread, but how will the networks handle abbreviations for the A's when they rebrand next year? I figure this won't be a problem for the national broadcasters as ESPN, Fox, and TBS won't have them on unless they end up in a miraculous playoff run. However, there are a few RSNs still using abbreviations in scoreboards though, so they will have to use something when, for instance, the A's are up against the Yanks on YES or the Dodgers on Spectrum.

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

• 1 month later...