Teams wearing alternate uniforms in the playoffs

Ark

Orlando Magic, 1997 (First round, Games 1 & 5)

6h17px.jpg

Those black jerseys were Orlando's primary road uniform at the time. The blue was the alternate. They later made blue the primary when they changed uniforms.

Here are some others, though:

1997 World Series:

100811-craig-counsell-1997.jpg

The Brewers wore their alternates almost the entire time during the 2011 playoffs:

NLCS_Cardinals_Brewers_Baseball_044fd.jpg

The famous Jeter throw vs. Oakland, the A's had alternates:

jeter-flip_display_image.jpg?1352081990

It's super common in baseball. Not so much in football. Becoming way more common in basketball and hockey.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando Magic, 1997 (First round, Games 1 & 5)

6h17px.jpg

Those black jerseys were Orlando's primary road uniform at the time. The blue was the alternate. They later made blue the primary when they changed uniforms.

Well, whoever dated the use of jerseys on the NBA logo page for the Magic on this site is incorrect than.

Alas, if they were using the blues as alts at this point, they wore them in game 2 (of the same series)

52012984-orlando-magic-guard-anthony-hardaway-shoots-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=wszX9pcTWqd4wi8ijaO%2fFWsbSjKdOUtAdbqB%2fSAp4Q6TXtWpWIXqExRJnojeb1IH

And while the opposite of the point of this thread, the SF Giants wore their Monday-Saturday Road jersey and the All black hat instead of the "SF" alternate jersey and orange billed hat for game 4 of the World Series this past year which happened on a Sunday when they would usually wear their alternates.

From what I can recall, and correct me if I am wrong, during the playoffs, teams are only allowed to wear one designated cap for their home games and one designated one for their road games. Because of that, they kept their solid black cap. And by that assumption, they decided not to pair their road alt with it since they never did it during the season.

Phillies wear their blue hat when they wear alternate in the playoffs.

It's part of a throwback set, which is different than an alternate set.

And I believe the rules I mentioned were for the World Series only

The Phillies cream jersey isn't a throwback, it's a regular alternate jersey.

I always thought it was a cleaner, modified replica of this

robin-roberts-phillies.jpg

Phillies wear their blue hat when they wear alternate in the playoffs.

It's part of a throwback set, which is different than an alternate set.

We know that the NFL makes such a distinction, but what leads us to believe that MLB does?

True. I suppose if it's worn with such frequency, it's not a throwback and just really an alternate?

And as that photo clearly shows, it'd look much better if they wore blue accents with it (sleeves, belt, socks, etc) instead of their bright red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2003 NBA Finals, Nets wear throwbacks - AFAIK, the only time an NBA team has worn anything other than their primary unis during the finals.

The Magic wore their blue alts in games 3 and 4 of the 1995 Finals, along with the rest of their road playoff games and about 80% of their road games in the regular season. As mentioned above, I think the original blue jersey was designated as an alterate until they changed to the sublimated stars set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why do I think I remember the Dolphins wearing navy blue jerseys in the playoffs in the early 2000's? Have they ever worn navy blue?

Am I crazy? Was it a dream? A lucid acid trip perhaps?

mAKyW06hUkOUlZUyfdNaxbg.jpg

They did wear them on a Monday Night Football game against the Jets either in the early 2000s or late 90s.

9121926570_5c06cf9464_b.jpg

Why do I think I remember the Dolphins wearing navy blue jerseys in the playoffs in the early 2000's? Have they ever worn navy blue?

They did wear them on a Monday Night Football game against the Jets either in the early 2000s or late 90s.

Pretty sure that was never worn

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

No, they didn't.

y8lv.jpg

Does anyone have the background on the origins of the double star uniform? I know they surfaced in Little Giants then they just showed up out of the blue about halfway through the '94 season which seemed crazy because of the whole 75th promotion that had the double star throwbacks. All of a sudden these jerseys come out and they wear them the rest of the season. I also remember that there was additional double star gear released in conjunction, I somewhat remember a double star catalog insert in SI. I don't think the whites ever saw the field again after the NFC championship but the inferior blue version made a few appearances for the thanksgiving game.

y8lv.jpg

Does anyone have the background on the origins of the double star uniform? I know they surfaced in Little Giants then they just showed up out of the blue about halfway through the '94 season which seemed crazy because of the whole 75th promotion that had the double star throwbacks. All of a sudden these jerseys come out and they wear them the rest of the season. I also remember that there was additional double star gear released in conjunction, I somewhat remember a double star catalog insert in SI. I don't think the whites ever saw the field again after the NFC championship but the inferior blue version made a few appearances for the thanksgiving game.

I always wished they'd play the Patriots wearing those uniforms so that you'd have both teams with shoulder logos vs. each other.

martinglenn816.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Please provide visual proof. Those were never worn.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Every Dolphins MNF appearance from 1999 to 2004, and whether these supposed jerseys were worn or not

9/13/99: no

10/4/99: no

12/27/99: no

10/23/00: no

12/10/01: no

11/4/02: no

12/9/02: no

10/27/03: no

12/15/03: no

11/1/04: no

12/20/04 no (Orange alts are worn, though)

Charlotte, 1997 (First Round, Game 1)

5a3lzq.jpg

Anthony Mason in a Hornets uniform vs Larry Johnson in a Knicks uniform. That's all sorts of mixed up. I know they both played for those teams as long as their previous, but come on.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived