Utah Jazz Logos, Unis + Info on Bobcats

JamesCraven

AWFUL!

The most singularly uninspired uniform/identity redesign in the last twenty-five years of major professional sports. Then again, what can you expect from a franchise that was originally so uninspired as to leave a woefully inappropriate identity package intact upon moving from New Orleans to Salt Lake City?

I don't see why everyone bitched so badly about the previous incarnation of Jazz uniforms. They sought to creatively capture the palette of the Wasatch Mountains, while utilizing an alphanumeric font with a Western flavor. Hmmm... mountains and the West. Well, at least something about that identity package reflected Utah's heritage and environment, as opposed to the Jazz name.

And don't even get me started on the apparent decision to maintain the Western-styled font in the primary logo, while utilizing a generic "rec league" font (great call, Mockba) on the unis. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

This team should have kept the color palette and wordmark font they had, while DUMPING THE JAZZ NAME!!!

What a "train wreck". Bad branding and design choices fill me with ANGUISH.

Brian in Boston

P.S. Is the head of NBA Properties suffering from a heretofore undiscovered all-blue version of color blindness? If so, let's start a charity to raise money to combat this dread disease before it's too late. I here the Boston Celtics are switching to Deep Royal Blue Uniforms with just a hint of Kelly Green in a couple of years.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Brian, I heard the Celtics were switching to a unique color scheme - deep indigo and periwinkle.

But seriously folks, these are some very uninspired uniforms. I think the new color scheme would have been fine (unoriginal but nonetheless fine) if they simply would have grafted it on to their existing uniform concept.

As I have stated ad nauseam, I happen to like simpler basketball uniforms with not a lot of graphics and gradients and whatnot. I really like the Nets' away and alternate jerseys, for example. However, this Jazz uniform looks even more generic and unprofessional than your average block-font lettering college uniform. It looks like knockoff fan gear.

Charlotte . . . you're on the clock. Please don't let me down; I'm really not that easy to please.

The sad part however is that they're still WAY better than what they had before.

And this, dear sir, is where our opinions will have to part company.

In my humbly-offered opinion, the most recent previous uniforms worn by the Utah Jazz absolutely outstrip these uninspired, generic pieces of on-court offal in every way, shape and form imaginable.

In fact, if my valet were to hang either of these new Jazz athletic costumes - home or away - in my dressing room, I would promptly wipe my buttocks with them.

And with that sir, I bid you, "Good Day."

Lord Brian, Marquess of Boston

In fact, if you were to hang either of these new Jazz athletic costumes - home or away - in my dressing room, I would promptly wipe my buttocks with them.

Is this to suggest that you conduct the sort of activity that requires buttocks wiping in your dressing room? I hope (for the maid's sake) that there's a WC in there.

Well you have been afforded the right to express your opinion on the matter at hand. I myself was heart broken when the Jazz changed from their more simple 1979-1996 logo/jersey. I've been waiting for the day that the mountains softly painted across the stomach were no more. TODAY IS THAT DAY!

But I will fully hold out ANY attack or praise until the REAL jerseys are released. Because these are only replica and well.

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

Does anyone else see the irony of a team called the Jazz having uniforms (and apparently an impending logo) with absolutely no jazz at all?

kinda like having a blue jays uni minus the blue. Kinda ironic though. The jays should be using the all-NBA Navy and periwinkle scheme, yet next year they're more apt to unveil a copper, green and purple package.

Just out of curiosity, has Pantone ever led us astray?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Setting aside my healthy respect for tradition in sports, I'd prefer seeing NO girly colors in professional men's sports at all. No purple, no pink (not that there is any) and no aqua.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Just out of curiosity, has Pantone ever led us astray?

Nope.

Unless we're talking April Fools jokes, Pantone usually doesn't waste his posts talking about nothing, or leading us astray. He's all about the facts.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Setting aside my healthy respect for tradition in sports, I'd prefer seeing NO girly colors in professional men's sports at all. No purple, no pink (not that there is any) and no aqua.

Purple could go wither way. It's been used as a color for royalty for centuries, and many a King has worn it. now a lavender-esque purple?? That'd be a NO.

Pink, at least in the Major sports, is out... But, Calgary Hitmen, anyone?

And Aqua.... I have to say I would never touch the aqua that shows up in the Dolphins uni's.

I dunno, the Vikings purple isn't very "girly" at all.

Or maybe you're just not secure enough in your masculinity to appreciate it. ;)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived