NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a rare change, I'll actually give him that. I'm guessing all of us were avid sports fans when we were 14 and at least thought we knew what we were talking about then when we would mention players who we never saw play. It's not his fault that he's 14.

I'll concede that. However, my main point, though conveyed completely the wrong way, is that he couldn't possibly make a judgment call that "Manning isn't Kelly, but he's no Montana either."

It's just not possible since he never saw either of them play.

I can do all the research and film study I want of players back from before I was born, but I still won't be able to grasp it all because I wasn't alive when they were playing and couldn't actually appreciate everything, instead of just highlights and stories about them.

Now this day in age, when everything is readily available and every game is recorded digitally by someone, future generations will have a much better ability to actually watch a player play outright.

I did grow up with Joe Montana, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly, Phil Sims, Elway, Marino, Kozar, etc. I agree with Brady to Montana comparisons, but I really can't think of anyone to compare Manning to. Despite his playoff failings, I think he's just himself, and someone that maybe 10 years from now, others will be compared to him, instead of him being compared to anyone before him. That's not to imply that I think he's the best of all time or even on Mt Rushmore, just that he's a mold, instead of a copy.

Oh, and I also grew up with Jim Everett. How could I almost forget him. Oh, and for what it's worth, while neither Phil Simms or Jim McMahon are really considered by anyone to be really good QBs, Phil Simms is still very overrated, and Jim McMahon very underrated.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The thing about Peyton Manning is that he has video game numbers, but he doesn't play with video game style. That is, he has soft passes, but he's super accurate and just accumulates yards and touchdowns. To that end, he's kind of like Dan Marino, except Marino had a more typical cannon-style arm.

I've never seen a Dan Fouts game, but he strikes me as not a power guy; is that accurate?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm about a mile and a half from Century Link, and it's nasty down here. I'm glad I'm not at the stadium today. Yuck.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The thing about Peyton Manning is that he has video game numbers, but he doesn't play with video game style. That is, he has soft passes, but he's super accurate and just accumulates yards and touchdowns. To that end, he's kind of like Dan Marino, except Marino had a more typical cannon-style arm.

I've never seen a Dan Fouts game, but he strikes me as not a power guy; is that accurate?

I think part of what separates Manning from any comparisons to guys like Marino, is that he's essentially the OC, and while many people don't care for it, he does put on a show with all his "omaha!" and audibles and stuff like that. He's pretty much one of a kind - at least in my lifetime of watching NFL football, which vaguely goes back to the 85 season (I pretty much only remember the Fridge and Walter Payton from that year), but more coherently from '88 on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm about a mile and a half from Century Link, and it's nasty down here. I'm glad I'm not at the stadium today. Yuck.

My feelings exactly about the Patriots game. Granted, I'm still about 40 minutes from Foxboro, but staying home and being dry is much more appealing than sitting in the rain and hoping the game ends soon.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Deion Branch is inactive for the Colts.

Eh. The help would have been nice, but there's no way to integrate him in one week. He was there strictly for game planning purposes. If they really wanted/needed him there, they would have signed him when he worked out with them a few weeks ago.

Gonna be a good one.

Go Colts!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Ballgame. And Seattle make it look harder than it had to be.

Yeah they need to get their offense rolling a bit more than this.

But a lot of that has to do with how great the Saints D was today - and all the Ds left in the playoffs are very solid Defenses.

TYBG

Indo get rolled up like car windows,
Avoiding the policeman them Carl Winslows

Ballgame. And Seattle make it look harder than it had to be.

Yeah they need to get their offense rolling a bit more than this.

But a lot of that has to do with how great the Saints D was today - and all the Ds left in the playoffs are very solid Defenses.

Actually, nope.

Archived