Jaguars new helmets, simple question....Why ?

seahawk9

On one hand, I applaud the Jags for trying something new, but on the other hand I feel like they don't understand the fact that just because you can do something like this, doesn't mean you should do something like this.

I'm sure that other teams have toyed around with similar ideas, but they probably never got past the "let's see how this looks" stage before the ideas were scrapped because they realized that they were just plain bad ideas for a top-level professional organization. Just because someone on the design team managed to push this through to the finished product doesn't make it innovative or groundbreaking. Sure, it gets people talking, but it seems to me that an NFL franchise deserves to have people talking about their professionalism, and not their attention-seeking gimmicks. That stuff should be left to minor league baseball teams.

Just because you feel like wearing a dirty t-shirt and cutoff shorts to a board meeting where everybody else is wearing suits and ties doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sure, you'll get the attention you're looking for, but not in a good way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one hand, I applaud the Jags for trying something new, but on the other hand I feel like they don't understand the fact that just because you can do something like this, doesn't mean you should do something like this.

I agree with you on the second part of that. Which is why the "well at least they tried something new" excuse isn't one that flies with me. It's not enough to do something different. Different is not always good. If you know what you're doing then you only do something different if you're sure it'll work. The simple act of doing something different isn't praise worthy in and of itself.

I agree with you on the second part of that. Which is why the "well at least they tried something new" excuse isn't one that flies with me. It's not enough to do something different. Different is not always good. If you know what you're doing then you only do something different if you're sure it'll work. The simple act of doing something different isn't praise worthy in and of itself.

Ugh, so true! As a Jaguars fan, that is the #1 thing I hear as to why people like the helmet. "I like it because its unique and different." Well so what! The #2 thing I hear from people who like the helmet? "I think the new helmet looks sick!" I've tried to explain to people that the execution of the helmet is just horrible and there are so many things from a design aspect that just don't make it work (too hard of a fade, going from matte to glossy, etc.). Nobody cares. Its new and (half) shiny, so therefore its awesome. They also always try to bring up the Bengals helmet as reason for why the Jaguars helmet is awesome but nobody knows it yet. They just can't understand that, regardless of the feelings towards the Bengals helmet, the helmet design is actually executed well! The design works.

I'm sure that other teams have toyed around with similar ideas, but they probably never got past the "let's see how this looks" stage before the ideas were scrapped because they realized that they were just plain bad ideas for a top-level professional organization. Just because someone on the design team managed to push this through to the finished product doesn't make it innovative or groundbreaking. Sure, it gets people talking, but it seems to me that an NFL franchise deserves to have people talking about their professionalism, and not their attention-seeking gimmicks. That stuff should be left to minor league baseball teams.

Just because you feel like wearing a dirty t-shirt and cutoff shorts to a board meeting where everybody else is wearing suits and ties doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sure, you'll get the attention you're looking for, but not in a good way.

Well despite the design and execution being terrible the gradient/fade has been done before and has been an available helmet finish for quite some time. SDSU's black to red fade first saw the field about 10 years ago and last year aTm and arkansas both had fade/gradient helmets. All 3 of the designs I mentioned looked infinitley better than the disaster the JAGS have.

I do agree though that they simply tried too hard to be modern/cutting edge and flat out different and ended up with an overdesigned mess. It reminds me of a cheap car modded with every tacky aftermarket accessory that was available at the auto parts store. I'm also assuming Mr. Moustache had waaaay to much input when he should have let the designers just do their thing. As many others have said the old shell could have saved this set and made the rest of the mess palatable.

I guess I am the only one, but I really like the new uniforms and helemt for Jaguars. Very modern and well planned. Its nice to have a good mix of modern and traditional.

I respect your opinion but it was not well planned.

There is no continuity from the helmet to the jersey to the pants nothing is remotely similar in any aspects of the uniform.

I understand people wanting something different but should it not look good together as well.

I guess I am the only one, but I really like the new uniforms and helemt for Jaguars. Very modern and well planned. Its nice to have a good mix of modern and traditional.

It was not well planned, having a gradiant matte to candy metalic finish on the helmet shows how little thought was put into it, they just said lets do what is currently tendy and not caring how it looks

There's modern, traditional, and ugly. The Jags' helmet is neither modern nor traditional.

Also under the dome lights, check out the shoulder. That cream shoulder design really pops

564997_10151690565988863_428319405_n.jpg

Are you being sarcastic? Because it literally took me 3 minutes of staring to figure out what you were talking about.

Really? That was the first thing that caught my eye, that white shoulder design

Go A's!

Also under the dome lights, check out the shoulder. That cream shoulder design really pops

Are you being sarcastic? Because it literally took me 3 minutes of staring to figure out what you were talking about.

Not sure if serious

You can barely see it, and that is only if you are looking for it

Not sure if serious

I am being serious. Maybe it's the contrast of your screen. It's two distinct colors.

Go A's!

Also under the dome lights, check out the shoulder. That cream shoulder design really pops 564997_10151690565988863_428319405_n.jpg

Not sure if serious

I am being serious. Maybe it's the contrast of your screen. It's two distinct colors.

It's definitely there, but it doesnt "pop" its something you only notice if you look for it, in order for it to pop you need to be able to see it without looking for it.

Also under the dome lights, check out the shoulder. That cream shoulder design really pops 564997_10151690565988863_428319405_n.jpg

Not sure if serious

It's definitely there, but it doesnt "pop" its something you only notice if you look for it, in order for it to pop you need to be able to see it without looking for it.

It popped to me because I wasn't looking for it and it was the first thing that caught my eye

Go A's!

Archived