Nords- Awesome. If it were me, on the alternate, I'd take the fleur-de-lis pattern off the bottom and the pants. It's used on the main crest, so the rest seems a bit redundant. Maybe just a traditional hem stripe.

Seattle- I love everything about this. Perfect choice of colors. Love the subtle lime green. Works perfectly. The S in the logo as a nod to the Metros. Fantastic.

I'll try that later tlph. You're right- sometimes less is better.

For the Kraken striped jersey, have you considered something like a tonal crest? Similar to how many european soccer teams treat alternate kits that differ from the team's traditional color palette. see: Manchester City

Home Kit: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qpqFEFH5eRA/UZv-FTFW69I/AAAAAAAASOQ/0hCBQP620Rk/s1600/Nike+Manchester+City+13-14+Home+Kit.jpg

Alternate Kit: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tVTKX4qZA2U/UfIm37zBudI/AAAAAAAAVAs/C3nTe8a5Odo/s1600/Nike+Manchester+City+13+14+Away+Kit+1.jpg

I think a gold tonal crest would work with a thick dark green keyline separating it from the striping. Something to try, maybe?

So a tonal crest is pretty much a "texturized" one-colour version?

I'm gonna try that on all the logos.

Thanks GMS. (nice bison btw)

Lime green? Interesting choice. I think it works based on the tie-in to the team name, and also goes with Seattle's other sports teams. But being more of a "modern" colour it looks out of place on the old timey barberpole jersey. Otherwise, I like it!

Adding on to what he said, although the lime green looks fantastic on the home and away jerseys, it looks a bit awkward on the alternate. I would use the original logos on the alternate (you know, the ones without the lime), and I would keep the home and aways the way they are right now. All in all, they still look fantastic!

Thanks Ant. I'll go original or tonal on the crests on the alts.

The lime green looks out of place with the "heritage" look.

The Kraken are bee-yoo-tee-full!! I would buy that alt in a heartbeat.

Thx FGM.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax Highlanders Uniforms

(*Note- the H.H. logos and unis have been updated slightly since the recent Halifax Highlanders topic http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/84509-halifax-highlanders/?hl=%2Bhalifax+%2Bhighlanders)

The Highlanders look is forged from the flags of its founding members...

The Province of Nova Scotia, The City of Halifax, and the Scottish-Canadian Community (S-CC).

founders.jpg

For the small market of Halifax to be a realistic contender for an NHL franchise, it will have to reach outside of its geographical boundaries for support.

The Highlanders would, without a doubt, sell-out every home game, at the right price point.

To be able to offer the right ticket price to ensure 100% capacity, ownership would need to be able to find creative ways to fund the difference.

Along with strategies like Regional Marketing, Varied Ticket Pricing (charging more for weekend and desirable games), the Highlanders would need "ownership with deep pockets", and a sizeable amount of revenue gleaned from outside of the Halifax City Limits ( part-ownership by the S-CC (estimated at 7-10 million people)).

So the team is not only, a team for the City of Halifax, a team for the Province of Nova Scotia, a team for the Region of Atlantic Canada; but it is also a Legacy Project for the Scottish-Canadian Community.

Hence the reason for its identity...

4-23.jpg

The unis feature the colours of its founding members-red, gold, navy and white.

The "X-factor" on the Home sweaters, is really an "X" factor.

The diagonal cross of St. Andrew spreads across the lower back.

The plaid strap on the pants is actually a crest that simulates a strap hangin' below the sweater (a la Ovechkin).

It's in the official tartan of the Highlanders.

He did it again ;-)

Just a little suggestion. What if you make the back cross a little more "slimmer", I mean, make the top part of the cross a bit lower on the back, or squeeze that cross a bit towards the bottom of the jersey.

This could create the space needed to make the numbers more clear. The rest is A1, what else could we expect lol.

The creativity in this set absolutely blows my mind. Especially the tartan pattern on the pant shells. As much as I like the main set, that alternate looks spectacular. Stellar work!

Speaking of stellar...I've really been enjoying your hand-drawn stuff.

It's kinda like "Sportslogos Unplugged".

Thanks Morgo

This set is amazing. Great logo. Great jerseys. Love your stuff

...Appreciate that, B-mer.

Wow. That's a gorgeous set. The home especially. Love the plaid on the pants. My only complaint would be that I'm not a fan of the cross on the back. I think it's a bit much, whereas the cross logo on the pants is just right. But that's just my personal opinion.

Great, great work.

Thanks tlph.

I hear what you're saying, so I've tweaked the cross on the back to make it a little less intrusive.

I'm gonna keep it for now. It does make the Highlanders back unique, and I think that it would look much better "live".

That area on the lower back of a hockey sweater is an area where minor teams, and I guess Euro-teams, would place sponsorship, so I just tried something a little different.

He did it again ;-)

Just a little suggestion. What if you make the back cross a little more "slimmer", I mean, make the top part of the cross a bit lower on the back, or squeeze that cross a bit towards the bottom of the jersey.

This could create the space needed to make the numbers more clear. The rest is A1, what else could we expect lol.

I used your suggestion bleuet (again), and squeezed and lowered the cross.

I can only shrink it a tad because the stripes making up the cross should be the same as the arm stripes.

I use the number "22" for presentation purposes often because it's the number with the widest base.

If the cross is clear of 22, then it will be clear of any number.

Thanks for your input bleuet.

4-24.jpg

Ontario Beavers Uniforms

Howard Bloom, of sportsbusinessnews.com guarantees a 2nd NHL team in the Southern Ontario market within the next 5 years in this article...

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/sports-analyst-guarantees-2nd-nhl-team-in-toronto-1.748276

The Beevs don't have a location as yet, but IMO the "Ontario" designation would carry a little more clout than would "Markham", "Vaughn", "Kitchener-Waterloo". (Hamilton could go with the "Hamilton..." what-evers.)

Even if MLS&E somehow got its smarmy mitts on the 2nd T.O.-area team and they played out of the ACC (God I hope that doesn't happen),

a designation other than "Toronto" (like Ontario) would be desirable, I would think.

However, declaring yourself a Regional team should require a little more work than just naming your team accordingly,

so it would be imperative that the Beavers initiate such programs as "The Big Dam Roadshow". (thanks darkp).

Anyway, back to the unis, and the Beavers' look is pretty much as it was at the end of the "Battle of Markham".

4-25.jpg

Uniform Compilations

Again, I'm gonna reference GotPixels, but one of the things he does is to make compilation graphics of all the previous unis in a certain division/category.

It's interesting to see how the different concepts stack up against each other.

So, before moving on to merchandise, mascots, and a new segment called "Grand Entrances", I'm gonna follow GP's lead (once again) and offer some compilation graphics for comparison purposes.

Aways

4-26.jpg

Homes

4-27.jpg

Alts

4-28.jpg

*For comparison purposes, it would have been better if all the templates were exactly the same,

but I just had to use Mr. Sakic for the Nords...I just had to.

(Also, I just noticed that I still have to change the lime green on the Kraken alts.)

Awesome stuff. Seeing these made me have to actually make an account just so I could comment on them.

All four of the sets look great.

The Beavers set is pretty much perfect, I can't think of any tweaks that could improve on it.

The Seattle Kraken Home and Away now work really well. I feel however that the Alt lost a little something from its first iteration. While the dark grey/green made it a little similar to the Senators Alts the set just worked really well with the colored pants and gloves to match it. I feel like perhaps the green used in the original homes would also work better than the same green used in the current ones.

I feel like the darker green would help give it more of an identity apart from the home/away set, while still tying it to it and giving it a retro/vintage colors feel... and yeah, black pants and gloves works well for the home/away but the colored versions like in the first alt seemed to tie the look for that together better.

As for the Nordiques and the Highlanders, both are almost perfect. Only tweaks I would suggest would be on the Nords' home makin the shoulder fleur white, like on the Nords Jersey shown. The colored Fleur-de-Lys looks good on the Away though... For the Highlanders, not sure how the tartan effect would work/look though it is a cool idea... I also like the shoulder stripe on the Alt quite a bit for some reason, and wonder how it would look on the Home/Away set too.

Anyways, just my two cents... and a bit. Awesome stuff, very much enjoy seeing all of these great concepts. Keep 'em coming!

Awesome stuff. Seeing these made me have to actually make an account just so I could comment on them.

All four of the sets look great.

The Beavers set is pretty much perfect, I can't think of any tweaks that could improve on it.

The Seattle Kraken Home and Away now work really well. I feel however that the Alt lost a little something from its first iteration. While the dark grey/green made it a little similar to the Senators Alts the set just worked really well with the colored pants and gloves to match it. I feel like perhaps the green used in the original homes would also work better than the same green used in the current ones.

I feel like the darker green would help give it more of an identity apart from the home/away set, while still tying it to it and giving it a retro/vintage colors feel... and yeah, black pants and gloves works well for the home/away but the colored versions like in the first alt seemed to tie the look for that together better.

As for the Nordiques and the Highlanders, both are almost perfect. Only tweaks I would suggest would be on the Nords' home makin the shoulder fleur white, like on the Nords Jersey shown. The colored Fleur-de-Lys looks good on the Away though... For the Highlanders, not sure how the tartan effect would work/look though it is a cool idea... I also like the shoulder stripe on the Alt quite a bit for some reason, and wonder how it would look on the Home/Away set too.

Anyways, just my two cents... and a bit. Awesome stuff, very much enjoy seeing all of these great concepts. Keep 'em coming!

Welcome to the boards ES13, and thanks for your input.

The shoulder stripes work well on the Halifax alt because they're fairly simple stripes (1 on the front and 1 on the back) to match the arm stripes.

I tried the same thing on the homes and aways, but because they were bigger and multi coloured (to match the arm stripes), they were a little too much.

I made your suggested changes on the Kraken unis.

Man, green is such a hard colour to get right. I went to a more grey-green (could probably be a little darker still), and changed the alt pants and gloves to green.

I changed the lime green on the alt logos too.

Yeah, the red fleur de lis wasn't working, so I switched it to white like it should be.

With the white one, now on the front of the alt, I removed the hem ones.

I didn't want white-fleur-de-lis-overload.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

4-30.jpg

4-29.jpg

Thanks alot for the welcome Chewbarky! I had wondered if the suggestion I had for the Highlanders set would be too busy after saying it, but very glad my other thoughts were helpful. Its pretty cool how you incorporate peoples feedback, as you don't always see that kindof open thinking amoung designers.

Definately think the White Fleur was good call. Even on the front of the alt it seems to just make it Pop bit more. I also like how it matches with the pant and hem fleurs. Just looks really solid. When I think of Fleurs I also typically see them in gold/white with blue background or reversed, so theres another connection for the look.

Seattle looks fantastic now. Love how this set has turned out! The green looks really great on the alt now. Seperates it à bit more from the Beavers and even the Minnesota Wild color set even more. Would love to see these Uniforms on a Seattle team. Somebody oughta point Chris Hansen's group towards these. Seriously.

Awesome stuff, will love seeing whatever you come up with next!

Had two potential thoughts after I made my first post, about tweaks. Wondered how the Beavers alt might look with the Beavers wordmark and skating Beaver secondary on the front instead. Also love the Seattle logo with the S tentacle around the trident, was thinking with the Wright trident prong and a tentacle looping down you could even make an infered K shape. Giving it an SK in the primary. Dunno if that will work, but thought I would share.

Édit: stupid phone, Right not Wright

...will have to try to finish up some of my own concepts now, seeing all of these. ;)

not sure if chris hansen's group would want a hockey sweater for his NBA team but ya i get what you mean. Chewbarky, great work once again and hope to keep seeing more. Beavers logo is a true winner.......keep it up guy!

The Totems name and brand is the way to go for NHL hockey in Seattle. Beautiful crest and the kelly green and white are a perfect fit. Even a touch of dark green for a two-tone green uniform would look great. It would be one of the hottest sells in NHL merchandising. I would love to see someone do some Totems concepts.

By the way Totems!! , if you truly are a big supporter of the Totems brand, get your hockey friends and other hockey fans you know in the Sea-Tac and Wash St areas to get behind a Totems NHL franchise. As a long time Canucks fan, you have my full support.

Cheers.

not sure if chris hansen's group would want a hockey sweater for his NBA team but ya i get what you mean. Chewbarky, great work once again and hope to keep seeing more. Beavers logo is a true winner.......keep it up guy!

The Totems name and brand is the way to go for NHL hockey in Seattle. Beautiful crest and the kelly green and white are a perfect fit. Even a touch of dark green for a two-tone green uniform would look great. It would be one of the hottest sells in NHL merchandising. I would love to see someone do some Totems concepts.

By the way Totems!! , if you truly are a big supporter of the Totems brand, get your hockey friends and other hockey fans you know in the Sea-Tac and Wash St areas to get behind a Totems NHL franchise. As a long time Canucks fan, you have my full support.

Yeah, I considered doing a Totems concept, VanFan...You know; a west coast native/aboriginal/first nations design/theme kinda thing. Great idea, I thought.

But hang on...The Canucks are already doing that.

Oh yeah, so are the Seahawks, and the Thunderbirds.

So I thought I would try something a little different; fresh; unique; rather than same-old, same-old.

...And that's why this is a Kraken thread, and not a Totem one.

But feel free to start your own totem topic. You could make it a poll.

...a totem poll.

Yeah, I considered doing a Totems concept, VanFan...You know; a west coast native/aboriginal/first nations design/theme kinda thing. Great idea, I thought.

But hang on...The Canucks are already doing that.

Oh yeah, so are the Seahawks, and the Thunderbirds.

So I thought I would try something a little different; fresh; unique; rather than same-old, same-old.

...And that's why this is a Kraken thread, and not a Totem one.

But feel free to start your own totem topic. You could make it a poll.

...a totem poll.

The Canucks constipated orca is not a true native design. Furthermore, I see Johnny Canuck replacing the orca once the Vancouver Millionaires Stanley Cup centennial celebrations and merchandising is over and done with. The Totems' look has a true northwest native look while the orca is really a poor version of native art and only symbolizes the Canucks' former ownership, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment.

Thanks Totems. More to come for sure.

Archived