• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Nords alt logo is sweet. It should be the primary. To hell with tradition, you can't stop the original primary from being terribly ugly.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Highlanders look awesome!

That Nords alt logo is sweet. It should be the primary. To hell with tradition, you can't stop the original primary from being terribly ugly.

These concepts are amazing. I would buy a few of those Kraken shirts in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

"Logos need to look good in a 1 colour application, especially for merchandise."

This is something all of us designers need to come to terms with. Thank you for saying so.

Yeah Whittier.

With all the fancy presentation templates; with all the gradients, and special effects, like bevelling, a logo/design still has to look good, in good ol' black and white.

Compilation Rink-Rock CD Covers

When I did the Highlanders series, I mocked up an idea of what a Highlanders' music CD might look like...

4-54.jpg

I put the St. Andrews cross on top of a note and stuck it to some plaid, like a kilt pin.

The idea is that the team would, every year, put together a compilation of the usual arena anthems, with some stuff from local talent that was used during the season.

I imagined it full of great East Coast flavour.

The Nordiques...

would have no problem rounding out a yearly collection...some incredible talent in la belle province.

I was thinking of a "Rock Nordique" title, when the english part of my brain said "Hey, a rock nordique is a nordukshuk".

So I used the nordukshuk concept by creating a 'photograph' of the stone structure.

I cut pieces from an inukshuk photo and put them back together like building blocks.

I used a primitive-style font to suggest something ancient.

4-55.jpg

The Beavers...

have nurtured this "Hometown" theme with its look.

Like Quebec, Ontario's music scene is very healthy, and offers a bit of everything...very diverse.

I thought that the "Jam" idea would suit the Beevs...

4-53.jpg

Seattle Kraken

You can't define Seattle without mentioning its music history, so a CD featuring local talent was a no-brainer.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Kraken concept. The tentacle thing is incredibly useful in the creation of new team related logos.

I've tried to keep the look of the tentacle fairly standard, with its half-circle cutouts.

'Krakengruven' is of course a spin on the 'Funkengruven' idea...

4-56.jpg

Is it bad that on the Highlanders CD I read it as macarena rather than MacArena? ...probably not the dance style the highlanders would look for though. :P

Love the Nordukshuk, and the Kraken semi-mechanical clef. Very clever, very creative. Love the concepts you come up with, and the execution is seriously top notch!

...besides, who doesn't love crankin' up some Kraken/cracking tunes? Or however that line goes. ;)

The one color applications is a very good idea, and one I do often see in sports apparel... All of these designs look great in the one color, probably with the Kraken logo being my favorite. Just a testament to some solid line work there Chewbarky.

I want to hear the Macarena on bagpipes now.

You are a genius when it comes to marketing ideas.

Hi Whittier, and thanks. The marketing stuff's a lot of fun.

I actually found a bagpipe version of the macarena on YouTube.

It was horrible.

Is it bad that on the Highlanders CD I read it as macarena rather than MacArena? ...probably not the dance style the highlanders would look for though. :P

Hi ES.

I was trying to think of a clever name for the rink that would host the Highlanders and, like a joke with a bad punchline, I came up with "The MacArena" (mac-a-ree-na).

The downside to that idea is, of course, the association with the latin 'macarena' (mac-a-rai-na).

That's O.K., because it is a play on the 'macarena' word.

I guess another difference between the two pronunciations might be the very slight pause between the 'Mac' and the 'Arena'; where the latin version flows a little more quickly altogether.

So I made a very slight change to the 'MacArena' wordmark to emphasize that very slight gap.

...Anything to help it along...

4-57.jpg

• 4 months later...

Awesome designs! I love it!

Beavers is fantastic, and I enjoyed seeing the progression of the design. I think that the final one you came out with that includes green/brown/yellow is perfect.

The Highlanders one is great too! I particularly love the navy blue jersey. I would like to see both of these identities in the NHL!

Nordiques is nice, but it's pretty close to their old jerseys (but better). I prefer the alt logo which is just a fleur de lis. I think if they come back I would like to see a variation of that as the main logo.

I am not sold on the Kraken, BUT it has grown on me. I didn't like the first cartoony kraken at all, but the trident logos are much better.

I do like the colour scheme of the kraken jersey, and the identity (hats and whatnot). Personally, I think the one thing that I don't like about the logo is the SEATTLE text on the tentacle. I think without that it would look a lot better.

I am not trying to take anything away from the designer, these are all excellent designs. I am just providing my personal opinion on how I think it could be better. My opinion may be completely different from 99% of the other people on here though.

I want to reiterate though that I am not trying to bash these designs. The beavers and highlanders ones in particular are fantastic, (better than many real NHL clubs IMO).

HOLY SHIZNIT how did I not see this thread until today? I love all these concepts, and as someone currently living in Seattle, I'd LOVE to see the Kraken IRL. Your concepts on the logos, unis, and the merch totally fit this city. If these guys existed, they'd easily be my second favorite team after the LA Kings - I don't care that they'd be rivals, I love this nautical theme very much. I personally love the awkward "SEATTLE" text as the nod to the old Metros "S". I even love the Stupid Hat. The colors remind me of the 90s Sonics colors, but the lime green helps tie it to the Seahawks and the Sounders. Great job!

And those Beavers - that's one of the best concept logos I've seen on this entire forum. Great job!

Archived