Awesome! Only thing I could see parents throwing a fit about though is the Beaver logo where he is stretched out. His one leg looks like a "wooden stump", literally haha.

All I can say to that, sohiosportsfreak, is...

That's one "well-stumped" beaver!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suprisingly there isn't alot of love for the Totems moniker to those I talk with. i think it's a timeless classic name and a pretty bad ass logo and color scheme but my friends think it's too old timey and want something new. i dunno guess they have no class.

suprisingly there isn't alot of love for the Totems moniker to those I talk with. i think it's a timeless classic name and a pretty bad ass logo and color scheme but my friends think it's too old timey and want something new. i dunno guess they have no class.

I know that there is a junior B team that plays in the Washington State Hockey League and they use the Totems name and crest. I am sure there are fans of that team that would support that very same brand at the NHL level. I don't know what the average age of your friends are but I have a feeling that they weren't around during the days of the original WHL Totems. I was born in '69 so I never had a chance to experience the great rivalry that had existed between my hometown Canucks and the Totems. However, I have a strong appreciation for sports history and history in general. And you are right. Not to put down those you've spoken to but the reality is, is that today's younger generation of sports fans have no appreciation and respect for history and tradition.

I don't know if you have checked out this website but check it out anyways.... www.seattletotems.org. Every time I log into that website, I just shake my head and roll my eyes and say, "What the hell happened for the past 35 or so years??!!" Forget teams like the Nashville, Carolina, and Florida. Not only does Seattle belong in the NHL, the Seattle Totems belong in the NHL. This almost happened in '76 but a falling out between the prospective Seattle owner and the other NHL owners unfortunately happened. I wouldn't underestimate the appreciation of the Totems' historic brand just because of a few fans. Just tell people about the above website. I even joined their Facebook page and I get a lot of likes for my posts in relation to the Totems being in the NHL.

Old-time hockey/sports team names, logos, and color-schemes are classy and timeless in comparison to today's futuristic brands.

Just imagine these future games:

Canucks @ Totems

Sharks @ Totems

Totems @ Kings (retro night)

Totems @ Blues

Totems @ Blackhawks

Rangers @ Totems

Kings @ Totems

Totally was not seeing the 'stump' until you guys mentioned it. Now I can't unsee it...

Thanks alot guys! :P

...I honestly think the skating beaver looks good as is though. Those logos have a great look to them. So are there any more additions to these concepts Sparky? Like Mascots? (Who doesn't wanna see Billy the Squid?)

EDIT: so I just checked out all of your Battle of Ontario thread. Definately would love to see some potential Merch/Mascots for the Nordiques and Kraken if you're up for it! Also thought that the final Beavers wordmark and Beaver skater secondary really look good on the green home set... Maybe even better than the B primary, but it would be great to see even on the alt.

Almost seems like some posters want you to make the 'totem poll.' :P

Could always have a 'Battle for Seattle.' I would be curious to see your takes on other either former NHL teams like the Nordiques or even expansion teams that never quite made it like the Totems. Seeing what you might do with a California Golden Seals concept, a Hamilton Tigers set, or even à revamping of the Atlanta Thrashers has me quite giddy at the thought of it.

Anyways, I really love the creativity and craft you show with all your works! Will keep watching with interest for more.

Not to put down those you've spoken to but the reality is, is that today's younger generation of sports fans have no appreciation and respect for history and tradition.

Maybe...or maybe they just want something a little different ...

4-37.jpg

The Totems concept would make at least 4 pro/junior teams using the native art theme, out on the west coast.

Again, I think the Totems look/concept is fine. I just wanted to do something a little different.

sorry forgot my main point...would love to see what you could do with a totems concept if you got the time chewbarky.

Thanks Totems. I actually did a native-theme Seattle Sea Lions concept last year.

Considering the passion that folks are showing for the Totems, I might try a Totems concept after this thread's over.

The Beavers are the best. Halifax is a close second.

Thanks F. That seems to be the consensus...so far.

Cheesy Photoshopped Grand Entrances

I love the Skarks' entrance. I imagine that it's a fave with the fans (especially the kids)...

sharkentrance.jpg

So I got to wondering..."What Grand Entrance structure could these 4 new identities come up with?".

Well, just for fun, and for your viewing pleasure, I photoshopped/illustrated up some images.

Halifax Highlanders...

Have gone with a big rampant-red-lion head.

The eyes would glow, and a big red "heraldic-style" tongue would be projected onto the ice, to look like it was coming out of the beast's mouth.

The players come flying put of the mouth to some kick-ass celtic music!

4-32.jpg

The Quebec Nordiques...

Expand on their northern theme, and have constructed a giant, rock-like inukshuk in the shape of their renowned logo. (It's much bigger than shown here).

They call it the "Nordukshuk".

The red faux-rock sculpture actually glows and there are plans to put a platform in the area above the round "puck" object, so that their mascot (Badaboum?) can be a prominent part of the entry...

4-33.jpg

The Seattle Kraken...

Seems to be rising up out of the ice as it wraps it's tentacles around the Space Needle.

The final model would be less octopus-like, but this kinda gives you the idea of how the Kraken identity could be applied to the entrance.

Of course the players would enter to the sing-a-long KrakenShakin' song (from post #9)...

4-35.jpg

Totally was not seeing the 'stump' until you guys mentioned it. Now I can't unsee it...

Thanks alot guys! :P

...I honestly think the skating beaver looks good as is though. Those logos have a great look to them. So are there any more additions to these concepts Sparky? Like Mascots? (Who doesn't wanna see Billy the Squid?)

EDIT: so I just checked out all of your Battle of Ontario thread. Definately would love to see some potential Merch/Mascots for the Nordiques and Kraken if you're up for it! Also thought that the final Beavers wordmark and Beaver skater secondary really look good on the green home set... Maybe even better than the B primary, but it would be great to see even on the alt.

Almost seems like some posters want you to make the 'totem poll.' :P

Could always have a 'Battle for Seattle.' I would be curious to see your takes on other either former NHL teams like the Nordiques or even expansion teams that never quite made it like the Totems. Seeing what you might do with a California Golden Seals concept, a Hamilton Tigers set, or even à revamping of the Atlanta Thrashers has me quite giddy at the thought of it.

Anyways, I really love the creativity and craft you show with all your works! Will keep watching with interest for more.

Thanks again ES13...

A beaver with a woody...go figure.

I'll fix that, but your "Battle for Seattle" idea, would be a great title for a contest of sorts.

...and definitely merchandise is on its way. (slowly)

These are great. I'd love to see the Beavers skate out of a giant beaver dam.

Thanks nas. I'm gonna try the dam thing. Good idea.

I also took your advice and took the maple sprig entirely out of the Beavers' logos.

There's now nary a sprig in sight (sprigs aren't us), so there's no reference at all to "that other team".

Appreciate the input.

These are great. I'd love to see the Beavers skate out of a giant beaver dam.

Thanks nas. I'm gonna try the dam thing. Good idea.

u

Heh, I was gonna suggest the same dam thing. Beaten to the punch/post! :P

Glad you like the name for 'The Battle of Seattle' as I am sure you'd have some fun concepts.

The brown and yellow Beavers jersey looks good. Maybe too on the nose for their team colors though. Really love how much vibrancy the green gives to the Beev's. But maybe the brown for special occasions?

As for the entrances, Highlanders looks the best, Nords is kinda cool... But makes me wonder how long it would take to set up/take down... beevs should be coming out of a dam as suggested, I'd keep the big Beavers too though. As for the Krakens, the coming out of the ice is cool, maybe needs more along those lines... as is for whatever reason seems weakest of the designs. Even though it is the most developed idea... Maybe somehow if the Kraken rose out of the ice and the players came out of its mouth or tentacles without the space needle? 'RELEASE THE KRAKENS!'

I guess, if I were in Seattle I know we have the space needle... Do I need to be reminded we have it? I could see the space needle and current entrance looking à little better if it were thicker and more entrance like at the base and perhaps the tentacles went around it like the S shape from the logo. That would look à bit better than the current just random splaying of tentacles. Actually looking again I do see the S, maybe get rid of the other tentacle nearby to make the S more distinct?

I think that "Nordukshuk" would actually make a good basis for an alt logo. I've been experimenting myself with how to integrate French-Canadian and Inuit elements for a Nordiques concept, and what you have would be a great step in that direction.

rATMcmK.png

Archived