NBA to put nicknames on jerseys

zpqmaowl

They should definitely do the nickname thing for the all star game. That's a no brainer to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the idea originated with Adidas, the league still had to approve it. So blame the NBA.

Can't we just blame them both? Hell, can't we just blame them both for everything?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You know, Kobe should have his first name on the back of his jersey when you think about it. I don't think anyone ever really calls him Bryant anymore at this point. It's always Kobe.

That's only because he doesn't have a common name. If his name was Jim, you wouldn't say the same thing.

Go A's!

You know, Kobe should have his first name on the back of his jersey when you think about it. I don't think anyone ever really calls him Bryant anymore at this point. It's always Kobe.

That's only because he doesn't have a common name. If his name was Jim, you wouldn't say the same thing.
ya his nick name is the black mamba so that would be on the back

ya his nick name is the black mamba so that would be on the back

The last thing we need is inevitable penis jokes.

bSLCtu2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Spike Lee posted the jersey that Ray Allen will wear. Looks like standard home jersey.

BbuZbQtIUAA9_vD.jpg

I love that they put the J in front as though there was another Shuttlesworth in the team.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

what about "big baby" then.....i think it should say "big huge fatass" the other one is an insult to babys everywhere

and kobe´s black mamba ?.......would be better if he had that police transcript embrodied on the back insted

Detective Winters: She's an attractive young lady okay.
Kobe: She wasn't that attractive.

Detective Loya: Did you ever have her from the back of her head or her neck? Were you...? What kind of sexual intercourse was it?
Bryant: (Inaudible) held her from the back? Yeah, yeah, yeah
Detective Loya: Yeah.
Lots of voices talking over.
Bryant: (Inaudible) All right um...(inaudible)
Detective Loya: I don't want you to demonstrate.

Detective Loya: So you like to cum in your partner's face?
Bryant: That's my thing, not always, I mean, so I stopped. Jesus Christ Man.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Logged on just to see if this happened, and what the nicknames were. I didn't see it posted anywhere else, but here is the list I found. Seems the Heat will also wear theirs against the Celtics.

Heat:

LeBron James = King James

Dwyane Wade = D. Wade

Ray Allen = J. Shuttlesworth

Chris Bosh = CB

Mario Chalmers = Rio

Shane Battier = Battle

Greg Oden = G.O.

Michael Beasley = B-Easy

Udonis Haslem = UD

Chris Andersen = Birdman

Norris Cole = Cole Train

Rashard Lewis = Sweet Lew

Roger Mason, Jr. = MoneyMase

Joel Anthony = Doc

James Jones = JJ

Nets:

Andray Blatche = Dray Live

Andrei Kirilenko = Кириленко (Don't know if that will show up, but it's his name in Russian from above)

Kevin Garnett = The Big Ticket

Paul Pierce = Truth

Jason Terry = Jet

Joe Johnson = JJ

Brook Lopez = Brooklyn

Deron Williams = D-Will

Alan Anderson = Double

Mason Plumlee = Plums

Mirza Teletovic = MT3

Reggie Evans = Joker

Shaun Livingston = S Dot

Tyshawn Taylor = Tee_Y

Tornike Shengelia = Tokomotiv

To that end, the idea itself isn't horrible. Thankfully they didn't make these sleeved jerseys!

The problem is that a.) everyone has to do it, and b.) the players have little creativity. Most of them just went with their actual initials, or names they've never been called.

It's like the first year that MLB allowed players to wear #42 on Jackie Robinson Day, and just Ken Griffey wore it by petitioning the league to allow it. The next year, each team had one player wear #42. By year 3, every player and umpire was wearing it.

It's cool only when it's a player like Pistol Pete, who was actually referred to by his nickname all the time by announcers and fans alike, and who is flashy and flamboyant enough to pull it off naturally.

It's lame when it's forced onto entire teams leaving most of the guys just reaching for a nickname worthy of appearing as a NOB.

Archived