Saathoff

North America Soccer Concept Series (2025)
By: Saathoff

This series will feature leagues in North America. The US & Canada to be exact. Each league will consist of 24 teams. MLS is still the top tier league.

I will use all the current team logos, or them being recolored. If you've designed a concept logo for an MLS expansion team and want me to use it in a concept I'd be more than happy to do so!

MLS will now use a one table system. The US and Canada will now use a relegation and promotion system. However there will only be 1 automatic promotion spot. 2-3 spots will play a two legged playoff against the 22nd and 23rd place team in the league above

TEAMS:

Chicago Fire

FC Dallas
New York City FC

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

fc_dallas_info.png

fc_dallas_kits.png

fc-dallas-scarf.jpg

FC Dallas, which was previously posted before this new concept thread.

I changed FC Dallas to more of a navy blue and red. I got rid of the white & blue striped kit, as it was essentially two home kits. Instead adding an all navy away. The kit features thin red/white slashes as suggested by a member.

I know we're in the Concepts forum, but since I don't follow MLS, i was wondering what's up with some of the teams? Specifically, there are a couple I don't recognize at all, like Minnesota and Orlando. Are they going to be real life MLS expansion teams or are they just for your concept? Likewise, is the Chivas renaming legit, or just something you're doing for this concept?

I know we're in the Concepts forum, but since I don't follow MLS, i was wondering what's up with some of the teams? Specifically, there are a couple I don't recognize at all, like Minnesota and Orlando. Are they going to be real life MLS expansion teams or are they just for your concept? Likewise, is the Chivas renaming legit, or just something you're doing for this concept?

Yes. Orlando got a real life MLS expansion approved last week. They will join in 2015 along with NYCFC. They will be known as Orlando City. That is a certainty.

As jcampo6 said, Orlando City SC will be joining the MLS in 2015, along with New York City FC, which is a true expansion team. It has not been confirmed nor denied if Minnesota will be joining the MLS eventually, but my guess would be no. I think the MLS wants to get some teams in some cities that don't have MLS or NASL franchises, then maybe setup a promotion-relegation system with the NASL.

Anyways, Saathoff, that FC Dallas concept is fantastic. I would buy that away jersey in a heart beat. Also, I love the idea of rebranding Chivas as AC California. Sounds awesome! Also, is there any possibility of putting a team in Buffalo, NY? Great fan base, but nobody ever gives the city love in their MLS series'. Looking forward to some more concepts!

One does not simply beat the Buffalo Sabres... oh wait.

We're not going to have promotion/relegation in MLS. It's too foreign a concept, just like not having playoffs is a foreign concept, so we have playoffs when other leagues don't. Also, consider television markets--promotion/relegation runs the risk of having a team in Possum Holler, Arkansas in the top division, a situation that would be considered television poison.

Regarding expansion, as I've been reading, there are four markets that are the most likely candidates for expansion: Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Miami, and San Antonio or Austin. The league has been pretty clear that they would like another team in the Midwest, as well as further expansion in the Southeast. Minnesota improved its chances with the new Vikings stadium, which is being designed for dual use with soccer. Miami is basically a lock given the league's deal with David Beckham. Now, the thing to bear in mind in all of this is that, in order for a league's teams to be FIFA-eligible, the league can have no more than 24 teams. However, I think MLS might petitionfor an exemption because they are in the unusual position of one league being shared by two large nations. (I know there are a handful of binational leagues, like Liechtenstein has a club in Switzerland's league, and San Marino is in Italian club play, but I think a situation in which both nations are so populous is unique.) But, at this point, assuming that MLS is forced to field no more than 24 clubs, San Antonio/Austin is the odd man out. However, given the fan support of the San Antonio Scorpions to this point, anything is possible. And, between now and the next expansion, another market could come into play. For instance, the considerable support for Indy Eleven at the moment--a club that hasn't even taken the pitch yet-- is the sort of thing that might make MLS take notice, in the same way they took notice of Orlando City. I'm not sure if there any clubs other than Indy Eleven and the Scorpions in an Orlando-like position at the moment, but any of them could end up in MLS down the road.

As to the Dallas concept, I really like what's going on with the rebrand. I love that you got rid of the map of Texas on the longhorn, which is just too detailed and busy, and replaced it with a flame as a nod to their history. Love what you did with the hoops, since in mind, FC Dallas will always equal hoops. Great all the way around, and I look forward to what you do with this series.

rATMcmK.png

As to the Dallas concept, I really like what's going on with the rebrand. I love that you got rid of the map of Texas on the longhorn, which is just too detailed and busy, and replaced it with a flame as a nod to their history. Love what you did with the hoops, since in mind, FC Dallas will always equal hoops. Great all the way around, and I look forward to what you do with this series.

FC Dallas has always had the flame. It's vaguely in the shape of Texas, but it's never been a real outline.

RivhardWitham: I'll be including San Jose. The list isn't complete in regards to who the entire 24 team league will be.

Everyone else thanks for the kind comments! If you have suggestions for your favorite clubs, I'd love to hear them. KyleMakesConcepts, I'll look into Buffalo. My expansion picks aren't set in stone. Buffalo is a great city worthy of another sports team

TEAMS:

AC California (Rebranded in 2015, previously known as Chivas USA)

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew

FC Dallas

DC United

Houston Dynamo

LA Galaxy

Miami FC

Minnesota United FC

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York City FC

New York Red Bulls

Orlando City SC

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake

San Antonio Scorpions or TBA Team

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Sporting KC

Toronto FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Texas has enough teams, you should put Indy Eleven in their spot.

• 3 weeks later...

TEAMS:

AC California (Rebranded in 2015, previously known as Chivas USA)

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew

FC Dallas

DC United

Houston Dynamo

LA Galaxy

Miami FC

Minnesota United FC

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York City FC

New York Red Bulls

Orlando City SC

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake

San Antonio Scorpions or TBA Team

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Sporting KC

Toronto FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Texas has enough teams, you should put Indy Eleven in their spot.

Atlanta Should be included since Don Garber said Miami and Atlanta are close to being locks.

WC2014_sig_USA_zps37b99998.png

Holy crap stop arguing over what the designer wants to do for his project. I guarantee he doesn't care about anyone's suggestion for which team should replace San Antonio. San Antonio is a good NASL side with a stadium built so it could expand to MLS size. The problem with the concepts forum these days is that hardly anyone talks about concepts anymore, and when they do, the concepts aren't even that good!

Now Saathoff, I like the new navy you used. Personally I think if you did hoops like the USMNT it'd be killer. Good start and you do whatever you want with your project

Thank you raysox. I appreciate everyones comments. But this is my concept series, not yours. I'll set up my MLS the way I wish. If you're not happy with it, don't comment, or better yet, make your own concept series. Need I remind anyone this is the CONCEPTS forum, you know for concept art.

Next up is Chicago Fire SC

I decided to use the Chicago Flag as major part of the design. The third kit is also based off the fan vote. The Quaker sponsor was also placed on the back of kits. I also switched Chicago to a white shorts for both home & away.

chicago_fire_kits.png

chicago_fire_kits_1.png

Archived