2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it was very terrifying, knowing that for a half-hour of gameplay, Ghana had the power to screw the U.S. again with a goal.

That was the scariest thing. I really thought they were going to get eliminated by Ghana for a third straight World Cup. That would've bothered me because we beat Ghana and what kind of sport can you beat a team and still not advance when you tie in record?

Also because that last ten seconds against Portugal would've been hanging over us for the next four years. All's well that ends well.

Now, I have absolutely 0 memory of the US making it to the Elite Eight in 2002 (and I was 14 at the time, didn't have a job, and was still watching sportscenter every day so I should remember this) so I'd really like to see them actually win a game in the knockout round.

PvO6ZWJ.png

America loses, but according to Soccer Logic and this handy-dandy Chart of Things That Occur In Soccer That Somehow Make Losing Viable, things are a-ok. Proceed, American Soccer Fellowship.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I am happy that our guys were able to barrel down the hatches and prevent Germany from blowing the doors off.

Despite the loss, Portugal sucks Ghana down the quicksand to elimination hell with them. Christiano Ronaldo goes from breaking American hearts to saving them. God bless that greasy, douchey Euro-trash of a player!

But it was very terrifying, knowing that for a half-hour of gameplay, Ghana had the power to screw the U.S. again with a goal.

I don't think we are in a position to diss Europeans after a Euro team outplayed us pretty convincingly even if the scoreline doesn't necessarily reflect that.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

America loses, but according to Soccer Logic and this handy-dandy Chart of Things That Occur In Soccer That Somehow Make Losing Viable, things are a-ok. Proceed, American Soccer Fellowship.

It'd be a good dig, if almost every other international sporting tournament didn't do the exact same thing.

Keep trying, my friend.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Now, I have absolutely 0 memory of the US making it to the Elite Eight in 2002 (and I was 14 at the time, didn't have a job, and was still watching sportscenter every day so I should remember this) so I'd really like to see them actually win a game in the knockout round.

Dos a Cero

More likely, you don't remember because this was the South Korea/Japan World Cup and the games were played at, like, three in the freaking morning. It's easy to scoff at now, but as wee lads we weren't always of such liberty to be watching television at three in the morning, school night or not.

spacer.png

That was the scariest thing. I really thought they were going to get eliminated by Ghana for a third straight World Cup. That would've bothered me because we beat Ghana and what kind of sport can you beat a team and still not advance when you tie in record?

Also because that last ten seconds against Portugal would've been hanging over us for the next four years. All's well that ends well.

And think for a second, both Portugal goals were direct results of defensive f#ck-ups by Ghana inside their box. If they don't gaff those goals away, then all hell would probably break loose across America right now.

As for your 1st point, the whole tiebreaker system FIFA has for the World Cup prevents teams from half-assing their efforts in the last group game. It encourages goal scoring even in meaningless games, to prevent hot-dogging from happening. That's why the points tiebreaker structure is goal differential, then total goals scored, and then head-to-head.

Some day you'll learn to troll in an entertaining way.

It's a group stage; think of it like a league. The NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB don't eliminate teams when they lose a game during the regular season, right? No, a certain number of teams make the playoffs. In this case, two from each group go into a sixteen-team playoff. This is not some weird soccer logic; it's sports logic, and it's perfectly fine.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Dos a Cero

More likely, you don't remember because this was the South Korea/Japan World Cup and the games were played at, like, three in the freaking morning. It's easy to scoff at now, but as wee lads we weren't always of such liberty to be watching television at three in the morning, school night or not.

The internet would blow up if the US ever met Mexico in the knockout round again.

2002 was at a really inconvenient time yes so there weren't any of these city square large group watch parties, but also I have no memory of highlights, no memory of talking heads on espen talking about it, and none of my friends, some of them soccer players, were even talking about it.

I have very vivid memories of the gigantic egg they laid in France and I even remember being a 6 year old watching the Columbia and Brazil games in 94. Nothing kicking around up there about 2002 though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

USA still beat Germany everyday from April 6th 1917 to November 11th 1918 and December 11th 1941 to May 8th 1945.

The US lost

i know but we still won 2 wars against Gemany (on the lines of Alf Ramsey halftime speech from 1966 World Cup Final).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

USA still beat Germany everyday from April 6th 1917 to November 11th 1918 and December 11th 1941 to May 8th 1945.

The US lost

i know but we still won 2 wars against Gemany (on the lines of Alf Ramsey halftime speech from 1966 World Cup Final).

1 war. The second one the US beat the Nazis, not Germany.

btw. I'm glad the US made it together with us. After the group stage I really think you have a chance against Belgium. They weren't as strong as aspected.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

It wasn't pretty or even effective at all. But, the US is still alive thanks to Ronaldo saving the day (although he really didn't have to because if the game ended in a tie, the US would still move on).

Now it looks like it'll be Belgium in the Round of 16 (although Algeria still has a chance to win the group). If the Americans can beat Belgium, then Argentina might await.

The US lost

1 war. The second one the US beat the Nazis, not Germany.

btw. I'm glad the US made it together with us. After the group stage I really think you have a chance against Belgium. They weren't as strong as aspected.

ok thats a technicality.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived