2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the soccer word is very useful. I also just say soccer (well, only when I talk English of course). Just to be sure so that everybody understands what sport I'm talking about.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Am I the only one that feels that the "you call it soccer" argument is dumb? No one gives the Italians crap for calling it calcio last time I checked.

Well that's Italian. The "soccer" thing gets talked up because the "soccer" vs "football" difference occurs within the Anglosphere.

Am I the only one that feels that the "you call it soccer" argument is dumb? No one gives the Italians crap for calling it calcio last time I checked.

Well that's Italian. The "soccer" thing gets talked up because the "soccer" vs "football" difference occurs within the Anglosphere.

It's not only the Anglosphere where the "soccer" talk is coming from though.

People in non-English countries are also attacking North Americans for using the word "soccer".

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

People in non-English countries are also attacking North Americans for using the word "soccer".

Still though, the traditional English-speaking powerhouses call it "football." So any fan from a country where they don't speak English is probably inclined to assume "football" is the "correct" English name for the sport.

Not saying it's right. That's just how it is.

Though I did recently learn that "soccer" is short for "association football" which makes the name cooler in my book :D

Still though, the traditional English-speaking powerhouses call it "football." So any fan from a country where they don't speak English is probably inclined to assume "football" is the "correct" English name for the sport.

Not saying it's right. That's just how it is.

Though I did recently learn that "soccer" is short for "association football" which makes the name cooler in my book :D

"Soccer" is a term that was created by the Brits that the Americans just kept that ultimately became a uniquely American thing like our units of measurement.

Edit: A lot of non-English countries call it a variation of the word "football" (example futbol) so I am guessing that is where the "don't call it soccer" stuff comes from on their end.

I think half of the problem with us calling it soccer is because we only do so because we use football for another sport and that sport has almost no rightful reason to be called football. That is a dumb name for that sport.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think half of the problem with us calling it soccer is because we only do so because we use football for another sport and that sport has almost no rightful reason to be called football. That is a dumb name for that sport.

I read somewhere that Soccer, American football, and the variations of rugby and Australian rules football all are called football because they are played on your feet, unlike Polo.

I don't know if that has any historical merit, but it is an interesting thought.

jNTsTyQ.png

I think it's because they all stem from the same sport. American football may not have much in common with association football at first glance, but both sports share a lineage. It's just that the term "football," in North America, stuck with the gridiron game.

Awful penalties by Chile cost them....but Brazil played awfully as well, Neymar and the goalpost bailed them out again.

If Brazil plays like this in the next round they will be out for the 3rd straight Quarterfinal.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

So, is Brazil still a co-favorite to reach the Final?

Meanwhile, Chile is having that same, nauseous feeling of hitting the crossbar the Rangers felt throughout the Stanley Cup Final. There, there...

Is there some Chilean player that they could've sent hurtling into the Brazilian goaltender?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm a little surprised that Ann Coulter's anti-soccer rant from the other day hasn't gotten at least a mention here yet.

In a strange way, it's actually a good sign of progress - the haters are starting to move on from "Nobody in the US cares about soccer; soccer sucks" to "Lots of Americans really do care about soccer... and that sucks."

CCSLC signature.png

Luis Suarez is now claiming that he did not bite Chiellini.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/luis-suarez-bite-uruguay-fifa-response

“In no way it happened how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite. After the impact… I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth.”

Luis Suarez is now claiming that he did not bite Chiellini.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/luis-suarez-bite-uruguay-fifa-response

“In no way it happened how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite. After the impact… I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth.”

sure, okaay... we believe you Suarez

Archived